GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL - Bad Knock Sensor, maybe??

GPTX

Hello All,

I have a '08 GTI, BPY, all stock (201k miles now!) and I have a CEL with all codes for misfire (code for each cyclinder as well as the code for random misfire on all cylinders).

But, the car runs fine. The only issue I have is that when I fill up with a tank of gas it is hard to start (takes several cranks). But according to my code reader, fuel rail pressure looks good, etc.. It starts fine all the rest of the time (when I don't fill up).

At this point, I can't pass inspection with the CEL.

Recently, I replaced fuel filter, all spark plugs, and de-carbed the intake valves.

If I clear the CEL, it comes on again as soon as I start the car. So, I suspect a bad knock sensor - but I'm a little confused why I don't get a code specific to that..

Any thoughts on what's going on are appreciated!!

Thanks,

Grant

GPTX

OK.. Cleared codes and started repeatedly (5 times) and no change.

To be explicit, I get codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303 and P0304 within 10 seconds of starting.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Misfires aren't read by a knock sensor...If you think the car runs fine but throws misfires faults try clearing the cel three times in a row. Report back.

Could it be a faulty purge valve? The hard start after fuel up usually points in that direction.