• mini-Ramp install (2).JPG
    mini-Ramp install (2).JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 1,331
  • mini-Ramp install (3).JPG
    mini-Ramp install (3).JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 1,300

TimT

Go Kart Champion
ive had my mkv up on ramps as well. As above a nice piece of timber in front sees u up there. If your car is standard height then you only need a slight lift to clear. My ramps are big 4wd ones.

I dont normally use them though cos I wouldnt recommend driving up unless you have someone guiding you from the outside. My gf wont help me with something like that. She is too scared of making a mistake!

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
i just pushed ramps up to line up with front wheels then put holes in concrete. Also i have a whole plank of that wood left if you can't find any i can cut some pieces off for you.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
I've never used ramps, what about a trolley jack and jack stands, or isn't that as safe?

In theory, ramps are just a hell of a lot easier.

Changing my oil yesterday I spent about as much time farting about with jacks and jack stands as I did actually changing the oil. But that could be because I am a gumby.

:laughabove:

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
i hate using ramps!! going up them is alright, but coming down is farking scary as hell!!

the scary part is giving it enough gas to get it over the bump to come down. always freak out about giving it too much and having the car fly off the ramps and smashing the front end up!!!

and this was in a POS 89 Camry + Yaris when I had it!! Not even gonna try it in the .:R lol

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
who is this imposter lima?!

:lol:

brad1.8T

Ready to race!
I've never used ramps, what about a trolley jack and jack stands, or isn't that as safe?

Personally, I prefer jacks & stands. That's what we use in the workshop & it gives you more options to turn wheels, check suspension, remove wheels etc.

I think ramps aren't as safe - they can slip on the concrete or you can use a bit too much throttle & launch the car over the front.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Ahh yes, that's the other benefit so you can take the wheels off. I wouldnt mind cleaning mine inside one day every so often and just take them all off at once. Not sure i'd go to that level of detailing but would be ok. pretty handy if you do your own brake work.

brad1.8T

Ready to race!
Ahh yes, that's the other benefit so you can take the wheels off. I wouldnt mind cleaning mine inside one day every so often and just take them all off at once. Not sure i'd go to that level of detailing but would be ok. pretty handy if you do your own brake work.

I'm up to 25,000km now & have had all the wheels off 3 or 4 times to rotate around the car. Give the inners a tub & some wax at the same time.

Because I'm an ex-mech, I like to try & clean them just before it goes in for service so the mechanic doesn't get his hands too dirty. It used to really piss me off when the car was mega-filthy.

The A5 chassis is really nice to lift - put a trolley jack under the front jack point on the sill & it lifts front & rear. Put a stand just in front of the rear suspension mount & another underneath the lower control arm bush. Lower jack & repeat on the other side. At the end, give the car a shake to make sure it's settled. Put the wheels under the car as you remove them (for extra safety).

GTiHR

Hot Baby..... HOT !
Car(s)
Golf GTI MKV MY08
Hi Liam,
I got these babies when I did my first 7,500km oil change, about 12months ago.
Got 'em at Autobarn belconnen. They called them "Lowered car ramps" or something like that?

They weren't the cheapest, but work really well, and store away fairly compact.
There are 3 pieces per side. And they work a treat for my standard height MY08 GTI, with still some room to move if I go lower. Not sure how much lower but??

I still need to pop in and have a look at your GTI when I see it on my way to work? I see the mini most days.

Cheers,
GTIHR

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 320

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

There were 27 incidents identified where a vehicle killed a person who was working under it. Of these 27 persons killed, 20 were carrying out home duties (car repairs) and seven were regarded as being at work.

Fourteen of the 27 fatalities resulted from a car falling off the jack that was supposed to be supporting it. In most of the cases, the precise reason for the car falling off the jack was not known but investigators speculated two main possible causes: firstly, the jack was being used to perform a task for which it was not suited, and, secondly, the car, when jacked up was not secured adequately, causing it to be vulnerable to movements, bumps and vibrations.

In six of the 27 fatalities, a car was put on ramps and subsequently rolled off onto the victim. In five of these cases the car was not secured by chocks. In the other case, chocks were used but the car slipped off anyway.

In four other cases, the car was elevated, perhaps by jack, but sat on various kinds of structures such as coil springs, wooden blocks, car stands and bricks. The structure failed, resulting in the car falling onto the worker.
Two other cases did not follow the usual pattern. One man was trapped when he was fixing the blade of a slasher and a dog hit the controls in the tractor which was operating it, lowering the assembly onto him. Another was using a pit under his car when the car rolled into it, crushing him.

In the remaining case the only information in the file was that the worker was found with his car collapsed on top of him.

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au...7C7-475A-BE2E-7C45E5FFC347/0/report_jacks.pdf

The slasher was not chocked up and was accidentally lowered onto the
gardener/carpenter when a dog bumped the controls in the cabin of the tractor. The tractor
was started up to engage the hydraulics to lift the slasher off the gardener, but the operator
had forgotten the PTO was on and the worker received massive head injuries from the
blades of the slasher. Initially the PTO had been turned off, as was usual practice.
However, the blades of the slasher kept revolving making it difficult to change the blade,
so the PTO was turned on to keep the blades still. An employee of the gardener was also
underneath the slasher when it came down, however he was able to escape being pinned
by the slasher.
The Coroner supported recommendations made by the OHS report and also
added that animals or young children should not be left unattended in the cabins of
vehicles where there is likelihood that their interference with levers or switches could
create a dangerous situation. The OHS inspector stated the contributing factors to the
incident were:
(1) no wooden supports, steel props or other means were used to support the rotary slasher
during the removal of the blades;
(2) the PTO was engaged;
(3) a dog had access to and was inside the tractor cab; ....

An electrician was working on his Range Rover at home when it collapsed onto him. He
was replacing the differential. It appears that after jacking the vehicle up with two small
hydraulic jacks, he then supported it on two coil springs (without the jacks). It is not
known why he did this. It appears that at some stage he probably pulled himself out from
under the rear of the vehicle and in so doing the tow-bar and bumper section collapsed
onto him. The floor of the garage was of dirt, uneven and sloping backwards, and though
not suggested, this may have played a part in the event.

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
i just pushed ramps up to line up with front wheels then put holes in concrete. Also i have a whole plank of that wood left if you can't find any i can cut some pieces off for you.

Will you post to Melbourne :23:

I use a block of wood too. Havn't found the need to bolt the ramps down yet.

Bazzle

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
I've pretty much done the same as the guy in brad's link. I have the larger size ramps as per Lima(?)'s original post. If you have that size you can't get away with the small block of wood as used by badboy.

Those plastic ones look good - if only we had autobarn in WA.