GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluefin - Can I move it from car to car?

TG.20T

Searching for bends...
Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone knows if I can move my bluefin flash from one GTI to another? I'm going back to the UK for a few weeks and my cousin has a GTI - was thinking I could take it home and flash his for a bit, then take it out and put it back in mine when I return.

Any ideas?

Tom

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Just wondered if anyone knows if I can move my bluefin flash from one GTI to another? I'm going back to the UK for a few weeks and my cousin has a GTI - was thinking I could take it home and flash his for a bit, then take it out and put it back in mine when I return.

The bluefin is locked to your car, you want to use it on another car you have to send it back to superchips to have it reset.

Nardi330

Euro > JDM
Car(s)
08 Golf GTI 5dr DSG
you cannot do 2 cars at the same time. bluefin matches your VIN with the device when you do your flash and will not allow you to flash another car.

however they can reset your device (at a fee i think) when you want to sell the bluefin etc.

Panman

Frequent Modder
Yeah, I'm hoping to remove it from my car first, before trying to re-flash the other.

And they (Superchips) will charge you for it - probasbly twice (once out of your car, and once out of his).

For "A few weeks" it seems like a lot of effort..

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
You could do it but technically you would own (and get correspondence for) the bluefin and he would own the car so warranty would be void i suspect.

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
the older units, like bought 18 months ago and older you will have to send it back to bluefin UK. however the newest units allow you to change from car to car.

i know this as i went through the whole process when i got given a second bluefin hand controller. (James G got the reprogrammed one once i sent it back)

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
afaik they will change the sub 1 year ones once, for free...

TG.20T

Searching for bends...
Well mine's only a few weeks old, so that's a good start, however I emailed superchips UK...

Sent: 11 March 2009 03:07
To: Michael Alvey-Anderson
Subject: RE: Bluefin - VW MKV GTI

"Hi,
I’m travelling abroad for a few weeks and wondered if it was possible to do the following:
-Remove my bluefin from my GTI (in Sydney), re-flash it back to stock.
-Take the bluefin hand-held with me to the UK and flash the bluefin to another GTI in the UK whilst I’m there.
-Remove the bluefin from the UK GTI and re-flash it back to stock when I leave.
-Re-flash the bluefin to my GTI in Sydney upon my return.

Regards,
Tom

From: Michael Alvey-Anderson [mailto:Michael.Alvey-Anderson@superchips.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 March 2009 10:19 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Bluefin - VW MKV GTI

Hi there

Sorry no this wouldn’t be possible I’m afraid.

That's it. I don't think he's telling the truth is he?

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
He's saying that because what you want to do is just too much mucking around for them.

Just buy a second Bluefin and give it to your cousin.

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
yeah they'd maybe reflash it once, if you dhanged car or something, but chnaging it to another for 2 weeks then back again? Not a snowballs chance.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
He's telling you his "truth". If he's not prepared to do the work to allow you to do it then for you it is "not possible". Maybe if you had asked him how much it would cost to do what you wanted you would have received a different answer.

Given his business model I can see why he wouldn't want to do it. His original sale is the only money he gets (unless you buy new maps), and for that he has to continue to offer support and remaps whenever VW change the original maps on cars.