GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Before/after valve cleaning pics

Zach L

VR junkie
This weekend I did some work on Nick's (nickgli) 2.0T. You've seen them before, but here's some more before/after intake valve deposit pics. The engine had 102,000 miles and, besides an EVOMS intake and BSH PCV revamp, is completely stock.

Nick has been running the BSH PCV revamp for about 40,000 miles I believe. This setup blocks off the connection to the intake manifold and forces all PCV gases out the rear port, which connects to the turbo inlet pipe. Although it's good for deleting the prone-to-failure PCV valve, the same amount of residue is still entering the engine. As you can see from the throttle pipe pics, the heavy stuff is settling at the low points in the system. When I pulled the throttle pipe oil drained out. A recirculating catch can would trap about 80% of this.

In the coming weeks I'll be installing an inexpensive solution to this problem on my personal car. It will eliminate 100% of the problem for about $100, without the dirty engine bay associated with vent to atmosphere catch can setups. Details in a later thread.

BTW, I'm in central Texas and do timing belt and valve cleaning for other enthusiasts. $300 for a valve cleaning and $400 for timing belt. I also made the Timing Belt DIY on this site for those wanting to get their own hands dirty.

Last edited:

apollosfury

designeddwk
i've also been considering this. got 74k miles.

Zach L

VR junkie
so would your custom solution be something like a catch can?

No, recirculating catch cans may get the majority of the larger stuff, but they'll never catch ALL of it. VTA catch cans may stop everything from getting in your engine but they have major downsides. They turn your engine bay into an oily brown septic tank, stink, and (most important to me) provide no adequate vacuum to pull gases from the crankcase.

I'll be using a slash cut exhaust system similar to Saaber's. Everyone running those setups has been VERY pleased. I'll be using a BSH PCV revamp on the front and running a hose from the rear port to the exhaust after the cat. Vacuum gauges have shown about 3-5" of vacuum which is perfect. Too much vacuum can cause oil consumption, but that's only in the 11"+ range. Nothing but positive results from those that have actually done it.

Zach L

VR junkie

sirsycott

Vagcom In OC = Me
No, recirculating catch cans may get the majority of the larger stuff, but they'll never catch ALL of it. VTA catch cans may stop everything from getting in your engine but they have major downsides. They turn your engine bay into an oily brown septic tank, stink, and (most important to me) provide no adequate vacuum to pull gases from the crankcase.

I'll be using a slash cut exhaust system similar to Saaber's. Everyone running those setups has been VERY pleased. I'll be using a BSH PCV revamp on the front and running a hose from the rear port to the exhaust after the cat. Vacuum gauges have shown about 3-5" of vacuum which is perfect. Too much vacuum can cause oil consumption, but that's only in the 11"+ range. Nothing but positive results from those that have actually done it.

X2
I'm also planning doing that myself

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman

Care to post up a dyi when you get around to it?

BIGSLICK

Ready to race!
sub'd for said "inexpensive solution" :thumbsup:
I probably need to get mine cleaned too. Is that $250 a pretty standard charge or does it mostly depend on how much is there to clean?

Zach L

VR junkie
Care to post up a dyi when you get around to it?

Yep, that's the plan. Saaber made a DIY but several setups were tried and the thread has a great deal of conflicting information because so many changes were made.

I plan to lay out all the parts in kind of an exploded view format.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Good looking cleanup there. And thanks for posting pictures.
I'll be using a slash cut exhaust system...
Have you accounted for the fact that venting the case to atmosphere (even via the exhaust) is illegal? Pretty sure that is "tampering" with the emissions system. Venting unburned hydrocarbons to the atmosphere contributes quite a bit to smog.

I'm guessing this isn't something covered in inspections in your area?