GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Before/after valve cleaning pics

VDUB_Lover

2.0T
Car(s)
Gti MK6
Hey, i was wondering who has actually done this "solution"? im very interested and if so post a link?

thanks, and this is a problem thats hard to get around :(

Zach L

VR junkie
Good looking cleanup there. And thanks for posting pictures.

Have you accounted for the fact that venting the case to atmosphere (even via the exhaust) is illegal? Pretty sure that is "tampering" with the emissions system. Venting unburned hydrocarbons to the atmosphere contributes quite a bit to smog.

I'm guessing this isn't something covered in inspections in your area?

Wow, thanks for pointing that out ...I never thought about any of that!! :rolleyes:

I'm not about to dump all that residue on my valves for years, deal with cleaning the valves every 20,000 miles, rob my car of performance, and rob my car of gas mileage to save the environment from that minimal contribution to pollution. It's probably not even 5% of my cars total contribution to pollution. Also, it takes 2 bottles of B12 Chemtool to clean the valves. One could argue the increased gas mileage resulting from always having spotless valves in combination with all the cans of B12 I would have otherwise bought to clean my valves every 20k miles are more than making up for any increased pollution.

When I go for inspection I'll disconnect the hose at the exhaust and cap off the hole.

Last edited:

Zach L

VR junkie

turbo59x

Bo.0sTiN ^up^ . . .
Car(s)
MKV GTi :: Spirited
how did you clean your valves so well???
I need to do this and want to replace the gasket.

any tips ??

Zach L

VR junkie
how did you clean your valves so well???
I need to do this and want to replace the gasket.

any tips ??

You need a great deal of solvents. You can soak the valves for even an hour and that's not enough. You have to use physical abrasive action with picks, scrubbers, etc. I've used everything from toothbrushes to craft pipe cleaners, to disassembled lug nut cleaning tools. It is VERY messy and there is no easy way.

The hardest parts include disconnecting the HPFP lines (if banjo bolt) and taking out an M10 bolt under the intake manifold on the intake manifold support bracket.

Zach L

VR junkie
Very good info, subscribed for the $100 fix

Put on the back burner for a couple weeks ...not a big deal since the valves in my personal car are probably horrible again after only 10k miles. Been super busy doing contract work lately.

You can rest assured I will make a thread for it though.

Zach L

VR junkie
How long did all of this take you?

If you're first time, give yourself the whole weekend. I've got it down now so it takes me about 10-12 hours including letting the valves soak and not rushing myself.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Zach L I really wished I was back in Texas brotha! I'd have to have you do both services on my coche. It's got the herp for sure.

You has to hit F1 next year bro. Can I crash?:paddle: