GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bags>Coils>Bags?

Dark Anghell

Go Kart Champion
Kinda late to the party, but I've had both and can also pitch in a little bit.

Coils are awesome because your trunk still has a spare, tools, and none of that annoying buzzing noise every couple of times your bags get inflated. Also I found the ride to be more comfortable on coils when riding low, bags were bouncy and harsh...this is compared to K-Sports set to stiffest setting.

Bags. I can't stress enough about the quality of products you use and climate you're in. My AFC valves leaked when it was cold out, they'd freeze, etc. So in the morning I'd come out to find my car on the ground with no way to raise it. I had to wait for 10 minutes with engine running, hitting the up/down switch until finally valves would close up and tank can fill up. With nicer valves this tends to be less of a problem. Also using air brake antifreeze helps with this issue. Using semi fittings helps with leaks in airlines.

I guess only benefit I see to bags is being able to drive just as low if not even lower than coils and still be able to go over speed bumps, and unknown roads.

Alignment: you figure out your desired daily drive height and get the car aligned. You'd probably lower it more only for shows and raise it only for short time periods so your tires won't notice too much wear. Digital gauges make this super simple. I think my settings were 45/25 or 50/30...something like that for daily driving.

Go for a 4 or 5 gallon tank as a 3gal is a bit too small and dual compressors. Bags...I had Mason Techs before, next setup will be Bagyards in the front, and probably UAS in the rear.

Alexvr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI(GONE) 09 GTI
Awesome info and opinions guys. I want to clear out that im not doing it for shows, like i said i am done breaking pans and wanted to see the ups and downs for bags. Has anyone experianced airlift bags at all. As for the compressors, i would want sometjing more quiet so i think 480s it is

gman32888

stick noobie
Just keep huge jugs in the back of your car. When you get to the show fill them up with water. Haha.

Alexvr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI(GONE) 09 GTI

Jonny_5

Ready to race!
just an fyi, it's possible to run valves and have them leak-free. Right now I have slow leaks at three corners, but my front right corner never changes psi even after several days. Once I get around to tightening the other valves all four corners should be good.

f_399

07 GTI and 06 Passat
i went bags because i was destroying my car going up and down my driveway

there are many options when going air, manual using paddles, valves/manifolds using switches and full digital like accuair, ridetech or easy street

ideally i would sell your current coilovers as a whole and purchase either airlift, masontech or bagyard struts. your stock rear shocks will be fine, they can tuck 18's aired out but i would probably buy koni shocks for cheap

you can get away with a simple setup like manual paddles, 3 gallon tank and 1 compressor

pm "dorbritz" on vortex, he just built one for a mk4 and i have personally seen it. simple, reliable and works!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4783463&page=1

Last edited:

Alexvr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI(GONE) 09 GTI
coils have been sold, i am gathering up the rest to buy the kit as the airlift fronts should be in soon. if i get koni sports, is there any modding needed to get lower? or anything that will hold the car from going lower?