GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Avg. MPG When Racing?

colbornjames

Car(s)
'07 VW GTi
What's your average MPG when racing? I've been lapping Pacific Raceways, a 2.2mile track, and getting about 95-100 miles from a tank. I think that puts my MPG at around 8MPG:frown: (US Gallons). I'm interested to see those who are and aren't stock engines and what kind of performance you are getting.

Thanks,

James

Minimaul

Chronic Masturbator
Car(s)
e36 m3/4/5
When I autocross my MFD says 3.6mpg. :\

pbfoot

Ready to race!
if you're worrying about MPG when tracking you shouldn't be tracking...

colbornjames

Car(s)
'07 VW GTi
Not worried at all, just interested! The biggest pain in the arse is going down to the gas station 3 times in one track day!

dtvburns

Tweek
I did 60 miles on a track and got 9 or less... MPG.

I had to fill up from starting at the track with 3/4 of a tank to finish the day too

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I averaged about 13.5 mpg over one track weekend, but that included driving to and from the hotel once. So maybe 9-10 on track.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
i fill up in between sessions i get about 8mpg. your car was aligned w/ a full tank of gas i hope, thats what u should have during road courses.

colbornjames

Car(s)
'07 VW GTi
i fill up in between sessions i get about 8mpg. your car was aligned w/ a full tank of gas i hope, thats what u should have during road courses.

I really am a bit backward when it comes to cars (except driving them) what does this mean? Is this some form of calibration I need to do myself or when I bought the car?

Thanks and apologies for such a dumb question.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
nah, the car jsut tend to get sketchy through turns when low on fuel.

the suspension geometry needs that weight(gas in the tank) to balance the suspension, without it the car becomes sketchy.

colbornjames

Car(s)
'07 VW GTi
Thanks Alf.. That does make sense. When going through turn one at Pacific Raceways the instruction is "foot flat at all costs" as it's a high speed corner (I'm doing @ 120 - 125mph) and the difference on exit (you head straight to braking) is noticable with less fuel and when you don't have a passenger.

In the S6 it's so heavy I don't notice it but in the GTi this makes perfect sense.

Thanks again.