GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Armrest Installation

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
So, I had the leather armrest already on my car when I got it and I decided to get the cloth because I prefer that over the leather one. Today, someone else and I tried to install and when we took the armrest itself out, six pieces fell that were surrounding the screw that was holding the armrest on. We collected them but we had no idea how they were in there in the first place.

So, does someone have a DIY as to how to install/remove the armrest?

Also, the cloth one I bought has a completely different bottom slidey part than the one I had originally. Any ideas on how to install that?

I can upload pictures of the six pieces and the bottom of each armrest if necessary.

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
I've had this happen to me. Ended up losing the middle "set" function on the MKV and MKVI. There were "washer" pieces that went in between the main torx bit that gave the lid some tension. This way it wouldn't flop around, also a spring popped out during the swap. After that point the middle "set" position was lost. The little teeth like grabbers woudnt retract properly from the armrest rails.

With that said. From what I concluded the easiest and best way to swap lids is to take the whole center console piece out. Simply removing the lid caused this in my case.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Here are the pictures. It wouldn't let me upload them for some reason.. Let me know if you can't open it or something.

SAM_0468: This is the bottom of the armrest that I currently had.

SAM_0470: Here's the bending mechanism. Today, I broke a plastic piece off (which you can probably see) and now that metal, teethy part that fits into the teethy-like slat is bent outwards and I have no clue how to fix it.. I kept the bit that broke off though.

SAM_0475: This is the bending part of the cloth one I bought. I don't seem to understand how that is going to work in my console?

SAM_0477: Here's the bottom of the cloth one that I bought. If you notice, it's has a different slider than the one in SAM_0468. Also confusing..

SAM_0480: Obviously, it's where the armrest bends. I just to clarify what mine looks like in case they're different on some models. You can see some residue from the washer-looking pieces from the next picture.

SAM_0482: These are pieces I collected (and all the ones we could find) that fell when we took the original out. I'm hoping none are missing?

In regards to the link, I assumed that's how the cloth one I bought would look. But, no. It's totally different. And on a different kind of track.

I tried to cover everything. Just ask if you have any questions or issues.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 329

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Here are the pictures. It wouldn't let me upload them for some reason.. Let me know if you can't open it or something.

Let me help you with that ...

This is the bottom of the armrest that I currently had.

Here's the bending mechanism. Today, I broke a plastic piece off (which you can probably see) and now that metal, teethy part that fits into the teethy-like slat is bent outwards and I have no clue how to fix it.. I kept the bit that broke off though.

This is the bending part of the cloth one I bought. I don't seem to understand how that is going to work in my console?

Here's the bottom of the cloth one that I bought. If you notice, it's has a different slider than the one in SAM_0468. Also confusing..

Obviously, it's where the armrest bends. I just to clarify what mine looks like in case they're different on some models. You can see some residue from the washer-looking pieces from the next picture.

These are pieces I collected (and all the ones we could find) that fell when we took the original out. I'm hoping none are missing?

In regards to the link, I assumed that's how the cloth one I bought would look. But, no. It's totally different. And on a different kind of track.

I tried to cover everything. Just ask if you have any questions or issues.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
So, I guess no one knows? I was tired of it looking like shit so I put everything back together with the cloth one in place and it actually works fine. I'd still like to know the proper way though.