GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Trial Problems - I'd Really Appreciate help here!

davesee

FIA GT Champion
Ok, as my previous thread described, I ran into some problems with my free apr trial... (http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24884)

To make a long story short it left me stranded for a little while not even being able to start my car and with my cel on.

After taking it back to the dealer that installed the trial the first time he read the codes he found:

000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached
p0299 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

012600 - Intake Manifold Runner Control: Regulation Deviation
p3138 - 008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON

18258 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ECU
p1850 - 000 - - - Intermittent

01314 - Engine Control Module
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
(This error found 4 times)

Now, after clearing these codes he gave me the keys and tried to explain to me that while updating the ecu is being re-written and that various sensors are trying to communicate with an ecu that is virtually non-existant until the re-writing is complete.

I get in my car, start it up and sure enough the cel comes on...

This time he scans and finds:

008196 - Intake Manifold Flap; Bank 1: Stuck Open
p2004 - 008 - Implausible signal

012600 - Intake Manifold Runner Control: Regulation Deviation
p3138 - 008 - Implausible signal

Then he clears the codes again, takes it for a drive - no cel comes on, comes back turns the car off. Then turns it back on and sure enough the cel is on again. This time the codes are:

004248 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Position Sensor (G336): Open or Short to Plus
p1098 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

01314 - Engine Control Module
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

(This error 3 times; one for the "Instruments", "CAN Gateway" and "Cent. Elect.:)

Do you guys think that they've somehow messed up my ecu royally?

Am I just not used to these amounts of codes being thrown seemingly randomly?

I have scheduled an appointment at my local vw dealer to have them check it out. The APR salesman says that the program should not be visible to the vw techs so it shouldn't affect my warranty.

If anyone can lend some insight here, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

davesee

FIA GT Champion
this is leaving a bad APR taste in my mouth... which could quickly be cured by someone acknowledging that the trial could have had some type of errors while updating / installing.

egh, im just pissed now anyway

Turbo GTI

Autocross Newbie
Sorry but if VW wants they can send the ECU to VWoA and they can and will find out that you had a chip. I think it's called the Flash Counter or something like that. It keeps track of the amount of Flashes that have been done to the ECU. I hope that it doesn't go that far.

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Sorry but if VW wants they can send the ECU to VWoA and they can and will find out that you had a chip. I think it's called the Flash Counter or something like that. It keeps track of the amount of Flashes that have been done to the ECU. I hope that it doesn't go that far.

True VW, not the dealer, can detect a chip, but they don't use the flashcounter. Its unreliable, as no one can be 100% sure that the ECU read zero flashes the day you bought it.

To the OP, sorry I don't know a lot about the individual codes. But have you contacted APR directly yet? Everyone says their service is great, so find out. Keith can often be found on Vortex too. How about the shop that flashed your car? What do they say? They should be able to scan and reset fault codes too...which might be a safer place to start than your dealer given you have APR software on the ECU.

And I know its too late, but I multiple people& tuner shops recommend against getting the trial software. For reasons like this, and also becuase if you decide to go with another brand you'll have to have your ECU reflashed to remove the trial stuff prior to getting the real deal.

Last edited:

Understeer'd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 VW Golf (BPY)
There was a lot of concern about the demos a while back and after running the APR93 one myself I became concerned and did a good ammount of research. I think you're probably more likely facing problems from the factory.

Also, I've heard Nav fucks things up in some instances because software reacts differently or something, I'm not sure.

But what I wanted to do is basically reassure you that APR almost positively did not fuck up your car.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
How about the shop that flashed your car? What do they say? They should be able to scan and reset fault codes too...which might be a safer place to start than your dealer given you have APR software on the ECU.

All of the codes shown above are from the shop that did the install on the trial.

What are the chances theyre gonna find out I hade the trial on?

juttsvw

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 Rabbit
My cel came on after about 3hours of drive time. Disconnected the batt for about 10mins and the cel is now off. The funny thing is that i'm peaking at 15psi and holding at 15psi. Nothing else was done to the car but the apr trial.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
look in my sig

not quite sure what you're gettin at here, unless not directed at me.

I am REALLY FREEEKING out about being stuck with an ass load of costs because this trial (maybe) somehow messed up some mechanical parts and that vw is gonna find out that apr is currently in my ecu - just not activated and locked.

A lot of those codes don't sound like nice ones.... :iono: , im not a mechanic

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
Im not at all in any way a mechanic but from the codes that u wrote, and from the stuff u said, but sensors not reading right and stuff, i think that the dealer that put trial program on ur car fried ur ecu. I dont have my gti chipped, but i know the guy at my vw dealership told me that with certain engine programs installed on ur car like apr, etc will fry ecu. again im not a mechanic in anyway nor no what ur car is goin threw, just my wild guess

2zzge

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
not quite sure what you're gettin at here, unless not directed at me.

I am REALLY FREEEKING out about being stuck with an ass load of costs because this trial (maybe) somehow messed up some mechanical parts and that vw is gonna find out that apr is currently in my ecu - just not activated and locked.

A lot of those codes don't sound like nice ones.... :iono: , im not a mechanic

While it it possible that the software mucked up your ecu I highly doubt it. Way too many ppl have the same software and have no issues.
Another thought is it could very well be a botched install.
That has happened before and not just with apr...afterall, we're dealing with computers and software here...
Either the installer's software is now mucked up and basically has (in old-school terms) a virus.
Ask him if any of his customers after you have had any issues. (just to narrow it all down some)

or....

The install itself went south on ya' and while the software might be fine, it could have installed a virus of sorts which muched up your ECU.

Reflashing your ECU might fix it. (i didn't catch if your dealer/installer actually tried that or not)
Clearing codes is one thing to try...but when that fails, reinstalling the software might fix it.

if that fails, and it has been determined that there is no hardware malfunctions (no wires disconnected, no bad sensors, no engine parts acting ghey, etc), then -and just guessing as I'm not your mechanic- I'd say that there may be an off chance of the ECU being FUBAR...

Speak with APR (keith) and with your installer...before going to the dealer.
Here's hoping for a simple solution :drinking:

Taz

Ready to race!
Avoid the dealer at all costs at this point. As mentioned contact APR directly. I have had 6 cars with APR chips (Audis) and not a single issue. Their service is top notch and if I ever chip my GTI, it will likely be a APR.

Now something to note as a general concern regarding ANYTIME you reflash a computer device there is a risk it could become corrupted. Just like when you flash a bios or any other type of chip, there are risks. A power hiccup or data hiccup can toast everything. Sometimes you can recover from this, sometimes you have a nice paperweight from your experience. APR is a great company and stand behind their products. They tend to a be a bit conservative rather than going to the edge of doom. I'll take that extra bit of safety rather than trying to squeeze an extra 4 HP out of a street car especially if it is my daily driver. I have an expensive lesson in this area. I had a chip for my Ford Power Stroke diesel that was just a bit too agressive. Result of that was I spent about $13,000 (yes $13k) rebuilding the motor. That was half the cost a GTI in just the motor.

So contact APR before you do another thing with it.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
well, it'd be cool if I even knew wtf a manifold flap is in the first place... and maybe why the APR trial mucked it up (if it did)

I haven't yet heard back from APR tech yet and I have an tentative appointment with a vw dealer on Wednesday. I hope to hear from them before then!

I also am having the notorious pcv problem (I'm guessing from all the oil around the oil cap). I've had the dealer look into that before and they said they couldn't find anything wrong... Wasn't there a TSB on that floating around here before?

I've done some searching, but couldn't find it....