GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Discontinued all stage two software?!

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
They have discontinued all stage two and will stop selling stage two products after Labor Day.

seems to have been driven by a direction change by corporate.

more updates to come.

Attachments

• A2158AD5-2934-4E5F-B796-F150E4A976CC.jpeg
    A2158AD5-2934-4E5F-B796-F150E4A976CC.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Wow! I wonder why?

torga

Autocross Champion
I read that they want to be 50-state CARB compliant.

Can't do that if you're selling car owners some software that turns on their CEL.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Not just the software the will discontinue selling downpipes after Labor Day

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
tree-hugging.jpg

Phur

Autocross Champion
Can you even run a big turbo with a stock downpipe?

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I read that they want to be 50-state CARB compliant.

Can't do that if you're selling car owners some software that turns on their CEL.

If you're getting a CEL after stage two that isn't the tune. These tunes actually remove and prevent several CELs associated with readiness which are needed to pass emissions in several states.

Maybe they are doing this due to obsolescence, parts availability or simply support/profitability issues? This market isnt getting any bigger and it is pretty saturated. Who knows.... I find it hard to believe the EPA would be cracking down on them under the current administration. Plus, the availability of their K04 and Stage III options don't appear to have changed.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
With more DIY tuning options out there maybe APR is not as popular.

My localish VW dealer that sells APR software says they are starting to not be able to warranty tunes anymore because VW was cracking down. This was a huge selling point for APR IMO. If you can't or won't honor my warranty then I'll just get a Uni, Strat or IE tune and DIY it.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
If you're getting a CEL after stage two that isn't the tune. These tunes actually remove and prevent several CELs associated with readiness which are needed to pass emissions in several states.

Unless they changed things, the tunes remove the CEL by bypassing the readiness checks, which then flags in the emissions test as "not set". They do not "remove" the CEL, they prevent them from being set and yes there is a big difference.

Now some states will allow you to pass with one readiness check unset but not sure if they allow 2, and many states will not allow it at all.

This makes no sense, if emissions was the reason how are they selling Stg 3 kits? If the standard disclaimer that the software and equipment are not for highway use is enough for the Stg 3 why not the Stg2?

There's something missing here, or someone is way late on their April Fool's joke.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Yes the current administration would give an award if you ran your car on coal. I still think it is down to EPA enforcement. No knowledge of that justa SWAG on my part.