GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2008. So am I just screwed and gonna be forced to pay for all of this myself?

Only the 09 was covered under the recal, but I've never heard of any other year having this issue. You might want to look into it further as I doubt your ABS module failed.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
just to add a few details to my recall work done at VW.

Removed ABS module: 1K0907379AD
Installed ABS module: 1K0907375AN = Excludes Hill Hold, but has Stability Control

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
Only the 09 was covered under the recal, but I've never heard of any other year having this issue. You might want to look into it further as I doubt your ABS module failed.

I've looked into it. Vag com is showing no wheel speed signal at the front right wheel. I tested for the signal voltage to the sensor and had it. Bought a brand new wheel speed sensor direct from VW and there was no change. ABS TC and Power steering lights are on and the traction control and abs including launch control and my 2-step as a result don't work. The power steering isn't quite right either. As far as I can tell with the codes my car is throwing this is my only other possible issue. Is there something I'm missing?

jemartti

I'm not sure what's causing your issue but it sounds different than what this recall is addressing. The codes don't match, and with this Control Module failure the lights go away as soon as you turn your car off and on (my recall letter even explicitly notes this). It's not impossible you have an issue with your Control Module, but the symptoms don't match this specific failure. I've also never heard of this issue striking any model year other than 2009.

Babaganoosh

Hey all, I've lurked here for quite a while, mostly following this issue. About 6 months ago my Jetta lit up like a Christmas tree like it sounds like has happened to many of us. I found this thread then & realizing that the cost of the fix back then wasn't in the cards for me I have just kept driving it. Luckily I only locked the real wheels up once...

Anyway, received my recall notice last week & did a small dance in my kitchen. Took my car in on Friday to have the re-flash portion of the service done. From what I am told, when the dealership went to update the module they could not communicate with it. I had to authorize a $150 diagnosis to find out why my ABS Control Module isn't communicating on the pretense that I would not have to pay it once they established connection & the flash presumably didn't work. They were not able to determine why my module isn't communicating and I needed my car back to get home from work.

According to the dealership, VWOA will not authorize the replacement of my Module until they first re-flash it. Since they can't communicate with my module they can't get past step one of the recall process. The dealership now wants me to pay for a non-refundable tear down of my car ($500+/-) to establish communication with my faulty Module. Dropping $500 this week for a recall repair isn't in the cards for me, so they gave me my keys back & sent me on my way politely. So, the dealership knowingly sent me packing with a faulty module known to be dangerous.

I'm curious of the community's thoughts on my "special" problem. Should I take this directly to VWOA? I cannot imagine the communication problem with my Module has nothing to do with the fact that it's smoked in the first place. Thanks for your thoughts & input.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Do you have access to Vagcom? Do you know if you have the codes stored?
I would drive it to a different dealership and engage the ABS intentionally and safely. Hope it fails and stores a code. The dealership should replace it if the implausible signal is stored. I believe that is the fault code they are looking for post flash. My dealer told me some people's cars were not storing the code even when the ABS failed, hence the need for an updated flash.

Sent from my Samsung S7 using Tapatalk

Jyuen

Snow Mexican
Turns out dealerships don't have to give you a courtesy car for this recall, only cars still under warranty are eligible.. That's some BS.. I'm waiting over a week for a repair and my abs is 100% disabled with the new software loaded on it.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Turns out dealerships don't have to give you a courtesy car for this recall, only cars still under warranty are eligible.. That's some BS.. I'm waiting over a week for a repair and my abs is 100% disabled with the new software loaded on it.
Your ABS has probably been "disabled" since 2011 or so...

Jyuen

Snow Mexican
Technically speaking ...yes. But it would correct me in a slide before cutting out. Now I'm just free to drift all over [emoji23].. hasty yellow turn lights + rain is a much different game now

mmocon

Dropped mine off last night... Tripped the faulty ABS as I pulled into the dealer just to be sure the code was stored. I hope to hear an update by noon.
Hopefully the software will flag mine appropriately and they have the module in stock. Keeping my fingers crossed that my pump is not bad cause I don't wanna deal with that argument. I'm halfway thinking about paying for the pump upfront before they install the module just to be on the safe side... Thoughts?

I have a 04 GT TDI and the ABS pump went in it. Got it refurbished for €200. As good as new again. Not sure if this will answer your question or help in any way but thought I'd let you know. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Got the recall done, they installed a new ABS module. Everything was finished in one day.

bmeskin

Took my '09 in for the recall of ABS, and they say they will not cover this (something about the codes not being inclusive) and now asking $1700 for the job. Interested if this happens to anyone else and where do we go from here?

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
So did it fail diagnostics with the updated software? Cause from what I understand, they only replace it if the new updated software detects an issue, otherwise you are good to keep the original parts. If new software shows a problem and they won't cover a replacement that's bogus!