GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A build I am very happy with - got all my info on this forum

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So top pic is what my garage has looked like forever. Total mess. Sooo.... the bottom pic is what it looks like to night. I got it painted, floor put in, some of the initial shelving, already had the LED lighting in. Cabinetry and work benches coming..

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Awesome update there...looks nice!

How much was the floor btw? (and what brand?, if you don't mind)
Does it hold up to a floor jack or jack stands okay?

Thanks for the tip on the shop light LED's btw. I finally got mine installed a few weeks back and they're BRIGHT...I love them

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Nice! Great workspace.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Awesome update there...looks nice!

How much was the floor btw? (and what brand?, if you don't mind)
Does it hold up to a floor jack or jack stands okay?

Thanks for the tip on the shop light LED's btw. I finally got mine installed a few weeks back and they're BRIGHT...I love them

The lights are bright for sure.

On the decking I paid 1243.00 shipped for a 3 car garage. You can choose from a variety of colors which allow you to make unlimited patterns if you want to get creative. I just went with 2 colors and checkerboard pattern (4 tiles per square). I did add edging to the entry so it looked finished and clean. Some folks do edging all the way around.

Bigfloors.com -> Garage Decking -> GarageTrac

They also sell the more expensive Racedeck. The Racedeck is going to hold up to a lot of garage work. I believe the Garage decking will hold up fine to the fairly light use I plan on giving it. My jackstands have nice wide flat feet to spread the load. Racedeck is about twice the price. For the dirty work I have an area outside of the garage to do stuff.

In my garage there was an exposed rough concrete foundation bordering the 3 walls. And the lousy looking concrete step leading into the house. When you lay the floor you need to leave about an inch all around for expansion etc. So I painted all of that concrete with some gray concrete paint to give it a finished look in those areas where the floor would not cover the terrible looking concrete. I also used ramp edging pieces at the entry which left about 6 in of concrete exposed, painted that as well. Basically painted the entire border about 12in in from foundation or garage doors.

My wife and I laid the floor in about 4 hours. The hardest part was removing everything from the garage.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Very cool & nice job again

Thanks man, ordering all the cabinets, workbench and wall organizer stuff today. Still have to build a creative cover for the water heater.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
If you are looking at proline cabinets I would say our taste in cars, turbos, and garage flooring is getting scarily similar.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well Audi is getting a Malone tune - 240/406 to 270/475
Just sent them my stock file, should get tune back in a couple days.... can hardly wait to load it (via their Flashzilla console)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Uhhhh.... I got the tune about an hour after I sent them the stock file.... wow that was fast ... now to load it and test it out.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Let us know the outcome

The tune is fantastic - drove it for first time last night. Stock is 240/406 and then after the Dieselgate fix I had to have done it was somewhere less than that. Stage 2 tune with a few deletes takes car to 305/490. I have not done the deletes so my guess is that it is somewhere between stage 1 270/475 and stage 2 305/490. With so much torque it is like the ideal luxury car power curve. Instant forceful response and pull all at very low rpms.

This was very easy to do, about 890 with the tune and flash tool. And the performance increase is huge. It really does transform the car, highly recommend it, waaay faster than my NA 4.2 V8 powered A8 which runs beautifully. With close to 500ftlb of torque the push back in your seat is real and it is a diesel.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
3.6's are only fun if they installed in a car that it didn't come from the factory with.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So how about the GTI?

Well I spoke with AU and I expect to see some progress shortly. Unfortunately they have had personnel changes but they are now staffed back up.