GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
East Coast Rep Rap fest is Sept 30-October 1st. I’m making plans to go up for the day at least.

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
One thing to note is the 3 has kindof a small bed size. Depending on what you want to do, that can become a factor.

Good point. It is on the smaller side so if he wants to print armor or helmets then that could be an issue. When making gaskets I have been limited by the bed size so I have looked into a larger printer.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I didn’t know this was a thing. I may have to check it out.

I want to note it’s Sept 30 to Oct 1. It’s not a 13 month event, although that would be impressive.

Lol whoops.

Yeah I stopped into Printed Solid the other day to get some filament and asked the guy about ERRF cause last time I checked they hadn’t announced a date. He said they will be going to set up a booth and it’s suppose to be bigger this year.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Lol whoops.

Yeah I stopped into Printed Solid the other day to get some filament and asked the guy about ERRF cause last time I checked they hadn’t announced a date. He said they will be going to set up a booth and it’s suppose to be bigger this year.
I have been wanting to go to PS. It’s not too far, but far enough I need to plan for it. Bel Air isn’t too far from me making this a doable trip.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I have been wanting to go to PS. It’s not too far, but far enough I need to plan for it. Bel Air isn’t too far from me making this a doable trip.

It’s not a very big place but they have a bunch of Prusa’s you can touch and possibly print with and the people are always nice to talk too. I ran in with my 8 yo to get some filament and we ended up staying for almost an hour talking to the guy and my daughter was looking at all the cool prints they had displayed. They let her touch them and check them all out. Now she has a list for me of things to print lol.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Nice!

Welcome to the club.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Printing these little dinos for my daughter's upcoming birthday party. The rest are just stuff I found useful or fun. Now I wish I had gone with the Ender 5 though. I may peruse the used market and buy a fixer upper that I can mod.

Narrow nozzle for my Shopvac

Mk7 Golf cell phone holder

Brace to keep Atari circuit board in place

Tuna can ashtray
I dig the fast.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
In chasing my extruder clicking problem I've replaced the extruder, calibrated my e-steps, changed to a micro-swiss all metal hotend, and adjusted my retraction settings.

Then I continued a print I've working on since before it all went to shit.

I think it's all had a positive impact on print quality. 3 of these drawers are printed on the stock hardware, one was just printed today. All done with the exact same roll of filament. I think you can tell which is which.

Attachments

• 20230719_180234.jpg
    20230719_180234.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
In chasing my extruder clicking problem I've replaced the extruder, calibrated my e-steps, changed to a micro-swiss all metal hotend, and adjusted my retraction settings.

Then I continued a print I've working on since before it all went to shit.

I think it's all had a positive impact on print quality. 3 of these drawers are printed on the stock hardware, one was just printed today. All done with the exact same roll of filament. I think you can tell which is which.
Very nice. I may have glossed over you clicking issue. I’ve had this with mine and usually a clog is to blame. A couple of solid cold pulls will usually get it back in order.

I have my new tool head, waiting on my new bed probe kit to arrive. I’m hoping to be all up and running by Sunday night. I got prints to do.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Very nice. I may have glossed over you clicking issue. I’ve had this with mine and usually a clog is to blame. A couple of solid cold pulls will usually get it back in order.

I have my new tool head, waiting on my new bed probe kit to arrive. I’m hoping to be all up and running by Sunday night. I got prints to do.
It really was a clog issue that was exacerbated by my lack of knowledge of 3D printers. Since the extruder was clicking, I thought it was an extruder problem, so I replaced the motor and replaced the extruder with a different all metal one. I didn't know about adjusting e-steps. The problem continued, probably because I:

a. Didnt fix the problem
b. Created another problem by not adjusting my extruder steps.

I then read that people have been buying all-metal hot-end parts from other creality printers and simply swapping the heat break to make your stock ender 3 v2 neo hot end an all-metal hot end. So I figured maybe that will fix it because I was printing in PETG and my bowden tube was taking a beating. In the meantime I found a cooler dual gear extruder so I ordered that, this time the instructions mentioned e-steps and oh boy did I learn about that. The clicking came back soon and when I stopped the print I saw a bunch of melted plastic on the hot of my heat block. The plastic was coming up through the threads on the heat brake from a cr6 that I tried to force in there. I then ordered an all metal hot end from microswiss and when installing it over torqued the nozzle and snapped it off in my new heat block. Microswiss was nice enough to send me a new one free of charge, I installed it, and now we're here! This time I read a whole bunch of instructions, watched videos, went on reddit, and learned all about retraction settings.

Learn from my mistakes people.

P.s. here was my old heat block. You can see where melted filament made its way up through the threads. That's my own fault.

Attachments

• 20230716_123752.jpg
    20230716_123752.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
The print looks good so great on getting it sorted.

I'm finally printing again but I've resigned myself to the fact that it appears that I need to level my bed before every print and then redo mesh bed leveling even with a glass Creality bed. But, this current print is looking pretty good so.. I can live with it for now.

I may invest in a new GulfCoast Robotics heated bed down the line just to see if that helps as I know my metal bed is really warped.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
It really was a clog issue that was exacerbated by my lack of knowledge of 3D printers. Since the extruder was clicking, I thought it was an extruder problem, so I replaced the motor and replaced the extruder with a different all metal one. I didn't know about adjusting e-steps. The problem continued, probably because I:

a. Didnt fix the problem
b. Created another problem by not adjusting my extruder steps.

I then read that people have been buying all-metal hot-end parts from other creality printers and simply swapping the heat break to make your stock ender 3 v2 neo hot end an all-metal hot end. So I figured maybe that will fix it because I was printing in PETG and my bowden tube was taking a beating. In the meantime I found a cooler dual gear extruder so I ordered that, this time the instructions mentioned e-steps and oh boy did I learn about that. The clicking came back soon and when I stopped the print I saw a bunch of melted plastic on the hot of my heat block. The plastic was coming up through the threads on the heat brake from a cr6 that I tried to force in there. I then ordered an all metal hot end from microswiss and when installing it over torqued the nozzle and snapped it off in my new heat block. Microswiss was nice enough to send me a new one free of charge, I installed it, and now we're here! This time I read a whole bunch of instructions, watched videos, went on reddit, and learned all about retraction settings.

Learn from my mistakes people.

P.s. here was my old heat block. You can see where melted filament made its way up through the threads. That's my own fault.
Sounds like you got it sorted finally. Mistakes are the best teachers. Are you running a Capricorn tube? I found it helped with just keeping the filament moving. Also make sure you don’t allow the hot end to sit idle too long without extruding material, like when setting Z offset.
The print looks good so great on getting it sorted.

I'm finally printing again but I've resigned myself to the fact that it appears that I need to level my bed before every print and then redo mesh bed leveling even with a glass Creality bed. But, this current print is looking pretty good so.. I can live with it for now.

I may invest in a new GulfCoast Robotics heated bed down the line just to see if that helps as I know my metal bed is really warped.
Your printer doesn’t run a mesh every print? I assume you’re using an ABL?

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Nope, forgot to mention that. No ABL cuz... I'm stubborn? I've been using mesh bed leveling but an ABL is a smarter solution. For the record, no one has ever accused me of being smart.