GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
For sure! Some things carry over like, extruding, resolve, fillets and the like but they all have different ways of getting it done.

I’d like to learn freeCAD when I get some free time. I use Onshape for free at the moment but feel like they will eventually start charging for it.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
For sure! Some things carry over like, extruding, resolve, fillets and the like but they all have different ways of getting it done.

I’d like to learn freeCAD when I get some free time. I use Onshape for free at the moment but feel like they will eventually start charging for it.
I was going to start trying Onshape but I don’t want a browser based software. If the internet gets spotty or servers become an issue you’re stuck. I didn’t even think about them charging.

FreeCAD is pretty straight forward and anything you can’t figure out there is absolutely tons of online information.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
@gixxerfool that is absolutely awesome! My wife wouldn't let me knock a hole in the manifold of the R like I did with the gti, so found this option and figured I'd give it a try. Been 3 years and not a single problem. Glad I got to be a (very small) piece of this. Lol.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
T
@gixxerfool that is absolutely awesome! My wife wouldn't let me knock a hole in the manifold of the R like I did with the gti, so found this option and figured I'd give it a try. Been 3 years and not a single problem. Glad I got to be a (very small) piece of this. Lol.
Thanks for the kind words. To be fair, your find was key. If I couldn’t find a non-intrusive way to pull manifold pressure, it wouldn’t have happened. Thank you for your help.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I was going to start trying Onshape but I don’t want a browser based software. If the internet gets spotty or servers become an issue you’re stuck. I didn’t even think about them charging.

FreeCAD is pretty straight forward and anything you can’t figure out there is absolutely tons of online information.

I had such an old computer 2011 MacBook that I needed an online based program as nothing else was compatible. Now I have a newer computer so I can explore more options like freeCAD. I do love that I can do CAD on the iPad with Onshape. Has opened up more opportunities where I can get in and work on stuff.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I had such an old computer 2011 MacBook that I needed an online based program as nothing else was compatible. Now I have a newer computer so I can explore more options like freeCAD. I do love that I can do CAD on the iPad with Onshape. Has opened up more opportunities where I can get in and work on stuff.
It’s a great option for older machines. I liked the cross compatibility option as well, it’s the server based work that sucks for me. I like offline work when it’s an option. It’s intriguing to pickup a device and continue your work though. I tried Shap3r 3D(?) for a hot minute, but couldn’t get a workflow going.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Have not tried Shaper3D because they don’t offer much without paying but it looks super powerful and being able to go from multiple devices is nice.

Blender will be my next learning experience. Not from a creative standpoint but to tweak existing models. Supposed to be super easy to make something longer or to tweak an edge and make it more organic.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I couldn't wrap my head around Blender when I tried 2yrs ago. I keep using Tinkercad as my rig is about 10yrs old now. I run Ubuntu at home hence why I haven't felt the need to upgrade my rig.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
rjdszug946bb1.jpg

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
For anyone interested:

I just nabbed a Creality Sprite Extruder for my E3V2. Normally $110 on sale for prime day at $88. There’s an offer for add ons as well so I grabbed three thermistors for free. It’s a cheap DD upgrade for someone looking to go that route.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I couldn't wrap my head around Blender when I tried 2yrs ago. I keep using Tinkercad as my rig is about 10yrs old now. I run Ubuntu at home hence why I haven't felt the need to upgrade my rig.
Blender falls more into my world than 3D printing, I think. 3ds Max, Maya, and other 3D content creation software for entertainment (games, film, VFX, etc). I've been using 3ds Max and Maya for about 20 years now and tried to make the switch over to Blender. It is very different and would just require too much of a time commitment that I don't have.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Any thoughts on this printer? It low cost enough to where if I don't end up using it much...I'm not losing too much.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BK4PLW7V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3HD8JN8KXNNW5&psc=1

Dis one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ7RQ1W...lectronics&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw
The Ender 3 really set the bar for a capable inexpensive printer. I don’t know much about the Neo to comment, but it looks very close to the original Ender 3.

I don’t know much about the Anycubic, but some of the Ender clones you have to be careful with. There are plenty on the market and some have had no, malfunctioning, or subpar thermal runaway protection.

I’m bias since I started with it, but the Ender 3 V2 is a great printer to start with. There is a ton of aftermarket goodies to build what you want and it’s capable enough to get solid prints on. I usually recommend to ditch the factory bed springs for the yellow stiffened ones. They’re super cheap. Once you get comfortable with tramming the bed, you can upgrade to an auto bed leveling system and solid mounts.

I think it’s important to have a basic printer to learn on. Sure you could spend the money on a Prusa and be done, they’re pretty much set it and forget it, but when it shits the bed and you don’t know why you’re scrambling for answers. You can learn the basics on a Creality machine and really learn the in’s and outs to tweak your prints. I made a lot of crap prints before I made good ones.

The upgrades for the Creality machines are cheap too. And as you feel you have outgrown what it can do you can relegate to simpler tasks or proto prints and get a workhorse to do larger, longer prints with. Lots of options, I recommend doing a fair bit of research if you’re going to stray from the major players.