GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Civic

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Ok, first of all, it's just my opinion, i'm not speaking for anyone else. I felt a lot more connected to the road with the civic than with the GTI, instant steering response. The seats were immensely more comfortable as well. I did lots of road trips in my civic and it was always a pleasure to drive, I've had my GTI for a year now and I still can't find a position as comfortable as I had it with my honda.

Ours is a DX, loaded with leather and navigation. And to me, the steering is vague. It isn't precise like the GTI is. Also has a ton more road noise, cheap plastics and to me, a bit poorer build quality. We have had to replace 3 sun visors already on it due to the fact they fall apart when it gets hot.

The seats are comfortable but not supportive. While the seats in the GTI are supportive and comfortable. Then they may not be comfortable to some people if they are too wide!!!

Now the CIVIC does get 38 mpg average..... :) Better than the GTI and better navigation. Here is a pic of ours when we got it in 08.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I cannot say, unfortunately :D

I'm sorry man. Company rules. Its hard enough people get torn apart if they're seen on spy shots.

It's ok I understand! I just read some stuff a guy who works at a dealer posted on temple of vtec anyway haha

Ours is a DX, loaded with leather and navigation. And to me, the steering is vague. It isn't precise like the GTI is. Also has a ton more road noise, cheap plastics and to me, a bit poorer build quality. We have had to replace 3 sun visors already on it due to the fact they fall apart when it gets hot.

The seats are comfortable but not supportive. While the seats in the GTI are supportive and comfortable. Then they may not be comfortable to some people if they are too wide!!!

I hear you, I had to replace my sun visor two times. I had 2 friends with civics, they had to do the same thing. Mine was an EX, and I think, I'm not sure though, the seats are different between LX and EX (grambles take notes :p)

I'm not a fat guy but I can't even imagine how it would be if I was! Everyday I get out of work I see a guy on his GTI and he's not exactly slim, I wonder how it is for him to drive this car. It's an mkv though, the seat bolsters might not be as aggressive are ours.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I apologize, ours is a EX-L. It has leather & Navi. Got the darn letters wrong. :p

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion

Temple of Vtec said:
No ride and drive for the new 2012 Civic (another cost cut by Honda) for the sales guys, but had a rep come in with a 2012 EX Sedan on Wednesday for in house training here at the dealership. We weren't allowed to drive, but did get to ride in one.

Initial impressions:

A little concerned (but not as much as I had previously worried) about quality of materials in seat fabric and dash, doors, etc. It does feel a bit down market from current generation, but not markedly so.

Looks fine exterior wise in person. Nice evolution. Will grow on most people and make current one look dated.

Biggest surprise: Visibility is exponentially better than current design. You feel a little bit higher and less like you are in a cave. The front fixed window and rearview mirror, while looking less attractive from the outside, are MUCH better from a visibility standpoint. A pillar and C pillar are much slimmer. Can I say again how much better this is over the previous model? MUCH IMPROVED and in noticeable way.

Not being a techno geek, impressed by the amount of technolgical advancement. Blue tooth on EX and above. USB on LX and above. VSA across the board. The MID on the EX we had was impressive, on the lines of the Touring Odyssey (I know not exactly, but impressive on a Civic).

The design of the dash with everything angled to the driver gives a great 'cockpit' feel and is ergonomically superior.

These are the kind of things driving buyers today and if Honda had to skimp on interior plastics and cloths to keep the pricepoint similar to the current Civic (which we were told would be the case even tho pricing wasn't announced) to gain these techno advances, would say well done Honda.

FasDarken

Ready to race!
I cannot say, unfortunately :D

I'm sorry man. Company rules. Its hard enough people get torn apart if they're seen on spy shots.

this i can believe...we do work for a few plants and if they send or bring us parts, we have to put the whole place on lockdown. Can you say which plant you work for grambles?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
this i can believe...we do work for a few plants and if they send or bring us parts, we have to put the whole place on lockdown. Can you say which plant you work for grambles?

Nope :( Its all confidential.Actually....I'm really not sure if I can/can't I just dont want to risk it. I know I can say I work for Honda and in some capacity, but I cant indulge in details you know? They're a stickler for that. I love my job and dont want to lose it. Thats why their so tight lipped about things come launch times. If you know anything about the structure of Honda than you can probably have a guess...but even then it would be hard to figure out. I've been to every Honda plant in the nation and a few in Japan. (FYI, its a shitstorm over there with us)

I know crap that will blow your minds about the future of Honda. And want nothing more than to tell the world, but again..refer above. Lets say I'll be getting one eventually :thumbsup:

Mercedes wasnt as much of a stickler, but I did get to see the new 2013 C-Class, 2012 M-Class, and their super secret model. =] I actually got to drive the SLS before it came out. BONER! But Honda is definitely a much more fun company to work for. The Germans are too serious

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I don't like the fact that its got a 2.4 now.....the Civic Si, in 2.0 trim, while its not a torquey motor, has that high revving character that is uniquely Honda and hard to find outside of high end sportscar, or sports bike.....With the 2.4 it just feels like they put a bigger motor from the Accord to a sport compact....it might make the same power, the character is not the same anymore...

Civic Si was a car I was considering to buy alongside GTI, GTI won out since when I work I got supplier pricing for VW....

2.06thgen

Ready to race!
Honestly I loved my 06 civic and I might be going back to one. While my GTI is refined and FAST, it lacks something my civic had. Also, I wasn't frustrated with it every day of the week because something didn't work/sounded the way I wanted (i could make a list out of these things).

Anyway, what do you think? Just picture it lowered.

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/

dude I know what your talking about I had a custom built accord just to keep the mod list short 3.5 swap and 6 spd tranny swap...and I said the same thing when I drove the gti but it was the best bang for the buck...but the GTI is starting to grow on to me...the thing that your missing so much though is the feel of a honda transmission and the sound of a NA motor I go back and forth from time to time

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
haha check out 1:18 that's a GTI right there! :bellyroll:

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion