GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2009 VW GTI won't start... shop says I need a new engine

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
if it only jumped timing you're probably okay replacing the bent valves and timing stuff, but they'll have to take the head off to see what is wrong

mweng407

Well, dealership is saying that the timing chain tensioner and cylinder head will need to be replaced for $4,500 to get the car back running, but they said they aren't sure about what other damage there is to the engine and recommend dropping $7600 to replace the whole thing.

Thoughts?

thewhiteone

Ready to race!
most performance shops start pricing an engine rebuild at around $2500. that includes upgraded pistons and rods. if your willing to spend this type of money might as well go the best route and upgrade

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
$7600 is way to high. One the MKV Retail Value is barely worth that.

You are better off getting a scrap motor from LKQ. Or even swap a 2.5L and turbo it for $7600.

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
if you still owe you're in a tight spot. options are:

get current engine fixed
get another engine
don't get engine fixed, sell it for a crazy low price since it doesn't have a working engine, owe a bunch of money and have no car

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
dealer will recommend putting a new engine in because that is the cheaper option with the dealer than paying them to tear it down to see exactly what's wrong

get it towed to a trusted independent dealer, if they have to take it apart and fix stuff or if a replacement engine is needed either option will be cheaper.

i have a 2009 also and both the ABS module and timing chain went on me this year :) i know your pain.

mweng407

Thanks for the advice guys. I called up a different independent shop (New German Performance in Lorton, VA) and they said the dealer is also quoting me ridiculous prices. We'll see if they can find a reasonable option for me.

if you still owe you're in a tight spot. options are:

get current engine fixed
get another engine
don't get engine fixed, sell it for a crazy low price since it doesn't have a working engine, owe a bunch of money and have no car

Thankfully, I paid off the car back in 2011.

most performance shops start pricing an engine rebuild at around $2500. that includes upgraded pistons and rods. if your willing to spend this type of money might as well go the best route and upgrade

This is a very enticing option. Would you mind pointing me to where I would go about selecting these parts?

lqdgrphcs

So this pretty much exactly describes what I am going through.

Mechanic is saying.....Bent Intake Valve, replace engine $9300.

Color me screwed!!

Looks like my pocket is about to take a major hit.

Any advice on good place to get an engine for my 2009 GTI??

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So this pretty much exactly describes what I am going through.

Mechanic is saying.....Bent Intake Valve, replace engine $9300.

Color me screwed!!

Looks like my pocket is about to take a major hit.

Any advice on good place to get an engine for my 2009 GTI??

How's many miles on the car? Do you know if it was a failed tensioner? If miles are under 100k and your tensioner failed, you can try contacting VWOA and asking them to repair it under good will. They are well aware of the issue and some people have had luck pursuing that route. Something to look into.