• na

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
5.24.09 - It's all in the details...

Well, well, well. It's certainly been a while. Seems as thought the wife's health is in good order. She's on medication for the seizures and so far so good. I hope it's good for the long run, but only time will tell.

I myself have been a lot better lately. Had a major breakdown after all this happened and it's taken me over 2 months to get better. I'm still a little down at times, or worried, but I'm able to function and actually do things I enjoy again. Already been to a GTG this year so that's a good sign.

As for the ride, I haven't really done much for mods. I did do a MAJOR detail job though. Spent 3 hours vacuuming the interior. Put my summer mats back in. Also cleaned all the interior glass and applied some Natural Shine to all the plastic surfaces. Looks like brand new in there.

The next day I ended up doing the exterior. That was a 5 hour job. I washed it first with some Turtle Wax car soap. Then I used a fairly aggressive clay bar and did the entire car with it. The winter left so many deposits on the clear coat that it really needed it. After the clay bar, I cleaned it again. Pulled into the garage and waxed it with some liquid carnauba. I then cleaned the wheels and waxed them. I cleaned the glass on the outside and then hit up all the plastic bits with cleaner and shined them up with some Quick Detailer.

I have to say, the car looks brand new now. It's amazing what a clay bar can do. :thumbsup:

As the day was winding down I decided to rework the front end a little bit. The plasti-dip was getting jacked up because I used bug and tar remover and got some on there. I pulled off the black from the shield and 2 of the bars. I also pulled it off the emblem. I think it came out pretty good.

I am going to be doing more work to it soon. Going to fill the holes, apply some paint, and clear coat the whole thing. I can't say what color paint because it hasn't been done yet and it's going to tie everything in nicely. Once it's done, I'll post the pics. It's not anything crazy, but it should definitely be different.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
It won't be chrome for long. I like the look, but it really goes against my subtle other touches. Also, chrome with bronze on the wheels just totally doesn't jive. Once I get the paint work done, I think you'll like it much more than the chrome.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
i considered getting some gold wheels and doing the front shield gold. i think it could be a little much though... bronze would probably be much better

Yea if I could find the damn paint anywhere. Apparently AutoZone doesn't carry it anymore. I checked at 2 places and they switched over the Rustoleum paints. I can't order it online because our big meet (Motorstadt) is in a couple weekends. Fudge...

I'm going to check Murrays, I hope they have it. Otherwise I'll have to Ebay that shiz. No good. :frown:

ruffellprefley

get it?
Car(s)
08 GTI
Yea if I could find the damn paint anywhere. Apparently AutoZone doesn't carry it anymore. I checked at 2 places and they switched over the Rustoleum paints. I can't order it online because our big meet (Motorstadt) is in a couple weekends. Fudge...

I'm going to check Murrays, I hope they have it. Otherwise I'll have to Ebay that shiz. No good. :frown:

i've had good luck with rustoleum brand paint, but you probably won't find a close enough match to the duplicolor bronze.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
6.6.09 - Front end moddin'

Well I managed to find the Duplicolor bronze at Murrays Auto Supply. Props to them and thumbs down to AutoZone for stopping carrying it. Bastards almost screwed me over good.

Anyway... I originally painted the shield in bronze as well as 2 of the bars in bronze. The emblem was done in a bronze/black 2 tone as well. It came out pretty good but there were some bad blemishes so I just put it on for a test fit and to snap a couple shots.

At first I didn't know if I liked it or not. However, it certain grew on me very quickly. After having it on for a day and seeing it from a few different angles I was set. Bronze was staying.

Off to Murrays for another can of bronze and some sanding supplies. I sanded it all the way back down to chrome and started at it again. This time I used filler primer to cover up any blemishes and help hide the plate holes some more. 3 coats of primer, and sanded with 400 grit then 800 grit. 3 coats of bronze and then another sand at 800 grit due to some minor debris and a run. Then another coat of bronze. 3 coats of clear and another sand with 1000 grit. Then the final coat of clear. I also ended up doing all the bars in plasti-dip and then clear coated those as well. Not sure if the clear will hold up on the plasti-dip or how it's going to look once dry. I'm going for a semi-gloss look to match up with the rest of the grill slats on the lower and R-Line grills. If it doesn't turn out well, I'll simply peel the plasti and hit it again.

Anyway, here's how it came out. I think it looks tits myself. I'll get more pics of it on the car this weekend with a better camera.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
I would do some polishing, but I don't have any polish or an orbital. I've never actually done any polishing so I wouldn't want to jack it up.

Once the clear coat really has a chance to set up, I'll look into doing some sanding/polishing. For now, I think it's just fine. It has almost no orange peel because I managed to get the final coat of clear nice and smooth.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
I would do some polishing, but I don't have any polish or an orbital. I've never actually done any polishing so I wouldn't want to jack it up.

Once the clear coat really has a chance to set up, I'll look into doing some sanding/polishing. For now, I think it's just fine. It has almost no orange peel because I managed to get the final coat of clear nice and smooth.

i have started doing a lot of diy painting projects and i LOVE IT, i watched a few videos online, polishing is super easy, i can't think of anyway to fuck it up, but yes just make sure the clear has cured, i just wish i could find a paint gun

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
What's a good polish to use by hand? Like I said, I don't have a DA or an kind of orbital.

I need to get some more painters tape for doing my tails so I'll be heading to auto parts store this weekend. While I'm there I'll get some 2000 grit and some good buffing/polishing compound if I can find it. Just don't know what exactly to get.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
What's a good polish to use by hand? Like I said, I don't have a DA or an kind of orbital.

I need to get some more painters tape for doing my tails so I'll be heading to auto parts store this weekend. While I'm there I'll get some 2000 grit and some good buffing/polishing compound if I can find it. Just don't know what exactly to get.

i use 3m (and an old t-shirt) there are good directions on the bottle, i need to get an orbital as well, floor jack is next on my shopping list though,