Votes: 6 42.9%
  • na

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

cw_gti

stayin stock saves gas?
Car(s)
Gti Mkv
so does it boot when you start the car or do you have a button to press after the car is started? seems pretty cool, might be a good install for a mac mini

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
so does it boot when you start the car or do you have a button to press after the car is started? seems pretty cool, might be a good install for a mac mini

No buttons. I'm using a DC-DC power supply called an M2-ATX. It uses a remote wire (ignition) to determine that the car is on, then automatically boots up the PC. Then, once the car is shut off, it waits 10 seconds (programmable as well) and shuts down the PC. You don't even have to wait for the PC to shut down. Just hop out of the car, lock the doors, and the PC will do it's thing and shut off.

I set my PC to hibernate so the shut down and boot up times are VERY fast. This also allows my computer to boot into windows exactly as it was shut down. It's nice because it doesn't boot to desktop, but rather boots up with my front end right there, no need to open it up at all.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
Damn that's sweet; insane setup. :eyebulge:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Damn that's sweet; insane setup. :eyebulge:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not insane, just me enjoying 120GB worth of music at my finger tips. :headbang:

I love the looks I get when people realize I'm running Windows in my ride. Most people just think it's a stock navigation unit until I show them the desktop and other goodies. :cool:

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
Not insane, just me enjoying 120GB worth of music at my finger tips. :headbang:

I love the looks I get when people realize I'm running Windows in my ride. Most people just think it's a stock navigation unit until I show them the desktop and other goodies. :cool:

Hence the insanity (in a very good way). :biggrin:

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Haha, of course man.

Honestly though, the gap and the e-tape bugs the SHIT outta me like I knew it wuold. Not so much the gap or the tape alone, but together they are driving me nuts.

I need honest opinions what you all think.

Or suggestions on how to fix either the gap and/or the tape would work too.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Haha, of course man.

Honestly though, the gap and the e-tape bugs the SHIT outta me like I knew it wuold. Not so much the gap or the tape alone, but together they are driving me nuts.

I need honest opinions what you all think.

Or suggestions on how to fix either the gap and/or the tape would work too.

I'm reading your post over on the MP3car forum about the Vag cable, and since I'm not a member there I'm gonna post here.

If all you're wanting to do is real time data logging and checking/clearing a CEL then a generic scanner should work for that stuff. But, if you want to recode your CCM for different feature, like remote windows, disabling DRLs or other fancy electronic modifications, then the generic scanners wont do that, only a true Vag-Com will.

I agree it's a pricey piece, I got away with the cheapie cause my 98 doesn't need a direct CAN interface like 03 and newer Dubs do, but it's well worth it IMO.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
Added in a poll for the bezel. Really looking for your thoughts on this all.

I voted for "It's OK", however not because I have no opinion, but rather it would depend on what would go into making another bezel.
IMO it looks fine to the point where if that'll require a lot of work and or money, then you should just leave it as is. But if it would be a relatively simple thing, then it may be worth improving.

Hope that made sense. :thumbsup: