GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2006 GTI freight train whistling noise at WOT

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Hi everyone,

I was just curious if anyone could point me in the right direction for curing this problem. A friend of mine thinks my aftermarket cat back exhaust is the cause of the noise, but I wasn't so sure. The only other mods that I've done to the car is a stage 1 APR tune, and a Rev D diverter valve. Also, the car doesn't feel like it's leaking boost and I haven't noticed any power loss.

Thank you,

Charlie

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I have a boost gauge, it just hasn't been installed yet. I'll be doing that this weekend. I just bought a cheap Manzo cat back exhaust like two years ago. I believe the piping diameter is 2.25".

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I have a boost gauge, it just hasn't been installed yet. I'll be doing that this weekend. I just bought a cheap Manzo cat back exhaust like two years ago. I believe the piping diameter is 2.25".

Get that gauge installed and report back. If it's a boost leak you should see it on the gauge. For now, Jack the car up and check all the joints on your exhaust. If there's a leak somewhere you should see soot deposits where it's coming out.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I was gonna suggest the possibility of the PCV being faulty. I have seen some that do that back in the day. not as common as a total failure

GTICT07

Its an exhaust horn. The kid I got my car from had it installed. WOT around 4000 rpm. Annoying. not sure how to remove it. I thought I was the only one

inverse_square

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like A LOT of work to put it in the DP. My guess is that it is not in the DP, but somewhere much easier to get to.

larcic

Ready to race!
i doubt its in the dp and if u replaced ur exhaust already its not there. didnt u also recently replace your pcv? have you checked the rest of ur charge pipes for oil on the outside of them to find a leak? install the gauge asap, takes less than 30 minutes if you follow my diy. i didnt remove anything not even the battery

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I never replaced the stock PCV. I didn't see any oil on the pipes when I was removing the noise pipe. But I didn't really look that close. I need to buy a new gauge, I ended up returning the eBay one that I purchased.

larcic

Ready to race!
any stock pcv system or blockoff will have oil in the charge pipes due to the rear port. the reason you didnt find much or any in the noise pipe is because its post intercooler and pre front pcv port. only a catchcan will reduce oil in your charge pipes. it is possible that your pcv went. check it with the dipstick to see if your idle changes. is there oil coming out of your oil cap? get the newsouth if mechanical. get the awe for digital. use a inline fuel filter for both in the line. specially since you are keeping stock pcv. you dont want to cheap out on the boost gauge. I found out cheap ones or dirty ones(oil) are very inaccurate.