GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0t FSI doesnt sound healthy..

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi.
I know, many topics about this. Still, there is many components in an engine.
Anyone familiar with these engines could point out what to look for in my case.

I had it at local mechanic to get wheel bearings replaced.
He mentioned that the engine should not sound like this.

Its making me confused, because at the same time, many owners around internet INCLUDING the seller of the car made me aware that its perfectly normal for these engines to sound like a diesel.

It has 120'000Km's/75'000m.

Here is some aditional stuff i figured out.

1: the car does NOT sound like a tin can full of marbles when its cold.
Cold start, the car is more silent. it does however go a bit uneven the first 30 secounds after i started it while its standing still in neutral.

2: the sound is audible after 1 minute after starting the car (if it have been staying over night)

3: i find the sharp sound to be most audible at the exhaust?
i might be fooling myself though.

4: the area around the timing chain is ofcourse pretty noisy.
I compared my engine noise to those serious affected ones uploaded to youtube and mine doesnt sound exact the same as those which makes me
wounder wether it could really be the chain or not.

5: i do have a pretty strong ticking sound aswell. but i can hear it along the whole front side of the engine. Could just be loud injectors.

Notice: Im trying to convice myself that it might be from the exhaust.
if you listen closely, when i get near the exhaust you can here a more weird sound. like, a tin box with stones in it that rattles slightly tonal sound, not that noisy... hard to explain. its a very weird and annoying noise. hearing it inside the car aswell.
Its not from under the car, more like around the turbo manifoild area..

You can clearly hear its the exhaust in 2nd video.

here is a video:

VIDEO NR1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw6jmhg7go1wvcy/MOV_0203.mp4?dl=0

VIDEO NR2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk1yabspukfiz0s/MOV_0204.mp4?dl=0

VIDEO NR3: Cold start. engine runs smooth in the beginning. if you take your time to watch through, you can hear how the engine gets more noisy
after a minute. slowly. Also pcv testing while cold and while hot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8fhlescwc6dodd/MOV_0205.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
U never know, dude could be getting ready to rip u off on repair/estimate costs?

Sure it could be.

Depending on who you reffer to as "dude", the seller or the mechanic.
The seller seemed to be quite honest. and not really too knowledgeable about the car, as i fixed alot of the electrical faults myself while he thought it was just a error code.

The local mechanic, i recently started using them. they are quite awesome as EVERYTHING they do have a 2 year warranty. If something fails, within 2 years i have it fixed over again for free.

No one else around does that though. They arent really that expensive either compared to many others around.

Still wanna see anyone with a MK5 GTI to share some thoughts about the videos i posted...

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
With the car running pull the dipstick, if the engine tone changes then we can eliminate the PCV. But if the sound of the motor doesn't change you're PCV has failed. The car doesn't sound right that's for sure, I own 3 so I have a pretty good idea on what they sound like normally. Let me know what you find with the dipstick check. Hopefully it's just a bad PCV.

Have you checked your cam follower? Thats the other place I would start.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi.

Car changes when pcv is taken out.
Have not checked cam follower. Have bought a new one lying around just in case.
But havent replaced it because i was thinking to just do the chain and tensioner at the same time. and i cant have that done in at least 3 months from now. so until then i havent looked at the follower.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
With the car running pull the dipstick, if the engine tone changes then we can eliminate the PCV. But if the sound of the motor doesn't change you're PCV has failed. The car doesn't sound right that's for sure, I own 3 so I have a pretty good idea on what they sound like normally. Let me know what you find with the dipstick check. Hopefully it's just a bad PCV.

Have you checked your cam follower? Thats the other place I would start.

Check out the new video. videonr3.

Its a cold start. over a minute.

Car sounds smooth. then gets noisier over the first minute.

Also do a dipstick test right after cold start.
Then i do another test in the end when engine have gotten hot.
Slight difference in the dipstick test.

Not so noisy when cold, but engine struggles when warm after dipstick removed.

dimi_108

The GTI Collector
Hi.
I know, many topics about this. Still, there is many components in an engine.
Anyone familiar with these engines could point out what to look for in my case.

I had it at local mechanic to get wheel bearings replaced.
He mentioned that the engine should not sound like this.

Its making me confused, because at the same time, many owners around internet INCLUDING the seller of the car made me aware that its perfectly normal for these engines to sound like a diesel.

It has 120'000Km's/75'000m.

Here is some aditional stuff i figured out.

1: the car does NOT sound like a tin can full of marbles when its cold.
Cold start, the car is more silent. it does however go a bit uneven the first 30 secounds after i started it while its standing still in neutral.

2: the sound is audible after 1 minute after starting the car (if it have been staying over night)

3: i find the sharp sound to be most audible at the exhaust?
i might be fooling myself though.

4: the area around the timing chain is ofcourse pretty noisy.
I compared my engine noise to those serious affected ones uploaded to youtube and mine doesnt sound exact the same as those which makes me
wounder wether it could really be the chain or not.

5: i do have a pretty strong ticking sound aswell. but i can hear it along the whole front side of the engine. Could just be loud injectors.

Notice: Im trying to convice myself that it might be from the exhaust.
if you listen closely, when i get near the exhaust you can here a more weird sound. like, a tin box with stones in it that rattles slightly tonal sound, not that noisy... hard to explain. its a very weird and annoying noise. hearing it inside the car aswell.
Its not from under the car, more like around the turbo manifoild area..

You can clearly hear its the exhaust in 2nd video.

here is a video:

VIDEO NR1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw6jmhg7go1wvcy/MOV_0203.mp4?dl=0

VIDEO NR2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk1yabspukfiz0s/MOV_0204.mp4?dl=0

VIDEO NR3: Cold start. engine runs smooth in the beginning. if you take your time to watch through, you can hear how the engine gets more noisy
after a minute. slowly. Also pcv testing while cold and while hot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8fhlescwc6dodd/MOV_0205.mp4?dl=0

If it makes you feel better mine is exactly the same as yours. Both of my MKV GTI's were that loud. It made me embarassed when going into drive-thru's and car parks haha.
But it is what it is. Mine even has a rattling noise on cold start for the first few seconds.

Your car is fine. Trust me :biggrin: