GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'13 STI vs '07 GTI

Subie2013

Humble yourself
I've been wanting to see a race like this for a while. And now I finally got the chance.

So I just passed my break in point on the new STI. So my roommate and I ran my Stage 2 GTI against the STI. We did 5-6 runs but only 2 turned out flawlessly due to the others missing gears on both our ends(fucking rookies, right?).

First run was from a stop to 100mph. Yes we know, the STI is superior with the AWD. But this car is stock and doesn't have launch control. So I did a 4k launch, and so did the GTI(well 3k-4k range) the STI jumps ahead by half a car in 1st. By the end of 2nd I was a full car ahead. Tapped 100 and probably 2-2.5 cars ahead.

Second good run was 20-100mph. Both cars got going really equal. 2nd hits and the GTI gets a little wheel spin. Mid 3rd in the STI and I'm only a car length ahead. I hit 4th and started to creep but maybe only 1-1.5 cars ahead of the GTI by 100mph. I was still pulling.

I was really impressed with the GTI. Although I love my STI, the GTI does feel faster. I'm sure a S2+ GTI vs stock STI would be neck and neck at a roll. It was fun because about half way through 3rd it's a really good race. People are always saying how this would turn out. Well here are some first hand experiences. Enjoy

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
a good running 2+ is about even. I ran even with a brand new sti till about 105/110,then it was over. I am 2+.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Nice runs, OP. Thanks for sharing these data points.

K03

Ridiculous.
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
I always wondered what would happen if these two ran, and my sneaking suspicion was right I guess. Damn stis haha

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Nice to see a GTI lose for a change, to be quite honest.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
There are a lot of really bad drivers out there, and tuned GTI's are quicker than people expect. I think a lot of people get the jump on faster cars because the driver in the faster car doesn't know how to handle the car, or underestimates the GTI/ overestimates their power advantage & starts in the wrong gear, leaves TC on, leaves the A/C running, doesn't really go for it 100% til they realize they're losing, etc. There are a million ways in which someone in a faster car can squander his advantage, resulting in the dubious "kills" everyone loves to hate on. And when GTIs actually do lose, their owners usually don't post about it.

It's nice to see how clean runs turn out when the results are realistic, win or lose.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
There are a lot of really bad drivers out there, and tuned GTI's are quicker than people expect. I think a lot of people get the jump on faster cars because the driver in the faster car doesn't know how to handle the car, or underestimates the GTI/ overestimates their power advantage & starts in the wrong gear, leaves TC on, leaves the A/C running, doesn't really go for it 100% til they realize they're losing, etc. There are a million ways in which someone in a faster car can squander his advantage, resulting in the dubious "kills" everyone loves to hate on. And when GTIs actually do lose, their owners usually don't post about it.

It's nice to see how clean runs turn out when the results are realistic, win or lose.
I couldn't agree more. I've already been dusted by a WRX I previously won against in my GTI before he went E85/1000cc injectors, fmic, and a few other things. Haha it sucked.

But I can't wait to see what kind of animal the STI turns into with a tune and launch control.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I couldn't agree more. I've already been dusted by a WRX I previously won against in my GTI before he went E85/1000cc injectors, fmic, and a few other things. Haha it sucked.

But I can't wait to see what kind of animal the STI turns into with a tune and launch control.

Please keep posting once you do all that. I really love to hear from "the opposition" here on the VS. board, since it's a great way to keep abreast of what's going on in other car communities and what kind of potential non-GTIs have once they're tuned. I hate the fact that there are a handful of guys that jump all over those sorts of posts, but I, for one, find them to be some of the most informative and interesting threads on here. I want to know what I'm up against when I face off against other modded cars.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Please keep posting once you do all that. I really love to hear from "the opposition" here on the VS. board, since it's a great way to keep abreast of what's going on in other car communities and what kind of potential non-GTIs have once they're tuned. I hate the fact that there are a handful of guys that jump all over those sorts of posts, but I, for one, find them to be some of the most informative and interesting threads on here. I want to know what I'm up against when I face off against other modded cars.
Lol I'll definitely be posting man! I love cars! I can't wait.