Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
ouch!

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
Yes, but I've seen a few videos of this thing and they all have the whistle. I just cant believe this is normal. I've seen a few blown turbos in my life and they sound just like this. I might call Apr tomorrow and ask if they can make me a turbo muffler.
Do you have an open intake? If so, the antisurge housing will whistle loudly.

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie

Attachments

• PXL_20220422_154232245.jpg
    PXL_20220422_154232245.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 68

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Whistling is a consequence of a larger wheel and higher flowing housing. Is this your first "big" (this one is actually small) turbo? Also, your intake is still an open system. Just because you have a box around your filter doesn't mean less noise. The OEM uses baffles (ridges) to make the noise bounce cancelling most of it. Your "closed" intake is just smooth carbon fiber into a round filter.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Can someone with the loud whistle try to capture it on video? My turbo it's shy and won't sing.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
if needed i can take a short 'cruising' video for the lulz. i really don't care much through i'd rather see more data that supports that people getting 60-130's in line with 400whp

edit - also here's the intake i have - forget which brand it is but obviously its a metal open intake. Also pls forgive that my APR catch can is horribly misplaced due to not being bolted onto an APR closed intake as it was designed (maybe this is also helping to rob me ~40whp? ;) )
1650643260904.png

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Watch this with headphones and you'll hear it. Get an open intake and it'll whistle even louder. This isn't my car. Just discovered it while looking on Youtube lol

Honestly I don't hear any whistling at all , even with headphones on. But maybe I'm just used to my DSG whining.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Stock downpipe also keeps exhaust noise minimal which helps to hear the turbo.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Watch this with headphones and you'll hear it. Get an open intake and it'll whistle even louder. This isn't my car. Just discovered it while looking on Youtube lol

What whistle? I heard none... some surge noise when the DV opens up, but no turbo whistle at all...