GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex vs XL

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I think EQT is 400-500rpm slower spool than is38, but there are things you can do to help improve the spool like turbo inlet and big downpipe etc and tuning tricks. on ethanol is totally different ball game though and I've seen EQT dyno charts of EQT Vortex turbos spooling on E blend fuels as fast as an is38 on standard, and Ed talk about how he could have spooled it even faster potentially but no reason to do so and put unnecessary stress on the bottom end.

seriously though the lag difference on any EQT Vortex vs an is38 doesn't matter at all, and it only is possible to feel it at <3k rpm in my own experience, above that any of these turbos light up almost instantly. my turbo also spools ~400rpm slower than an is38 and you notice it not at all, and the low end torque is still fantastic, and the slightly slower spool actually improves the traction materially

my turbo spools about the same as standard EQT Vortex and on E55 fuel mix I'm still making 400tq at the wheels at ~3,300rpm on Ed's dyno, and I'm making >300tq at the wheels at just 2,800rpm, and on the street spools even faster than it does on the dyno too.

all this talk about lag and slow spool and stuff is way overblown imo and only matters when you look at a dyno chart. floor your car at 3k rpm in 4th gear and try to time how long it takes for your tachometer to sweep through 400rpm

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I think EQT is 400-500rpm slower spool than is38, but there are things you can do to help improve the spool like turbo inlet and big downpipe etc and tuning tricks. on ethanol is totally different ball game though and I've seen EQT dyno charts of EQT Vortex turbos spooling on E blend fuels as fast as an is38 on standard, and Ed talk about how he could have spooled it even faster potentially but no reason to do so and put unnecessary stress on the bottom end.

seriously though the lag difference on any EQT Vortex vs an is38 doesn't matter at all, and it only is possible to feel it at <3k rpm in my own experience, above that any of these turbos light up almost instantly. my turbo also spools ~400rpm slower than an is38 and you notice it not at all, and the low end torque is still fantastic, and the slightly slower spool actually improves the traction materially

my turbo spools about the same as standard EQT Vortex and on E55 fuel mix I'm still making 400tq at the wheels at ~3,300rpm on Ed's dyno, and I'm making >300tq at the wheels at just 2,800rpm, and on the street spools even faster than it does on the dyno too.

all this talk about lag and slow spool and stuff is way overblown imo and only matters when you look at a dyno chart. floor your car at 3k rpm in 4th gear and try to time how long it takes for your tachometer to sweep through 400rpm

All I know is when I mash the fun peddle on my 93 XL shit makes me giggle. Spool slower than others? Sure. Do I notice in normal around town driving and shifting at 2-2500 rpm? No. Is it worth it? Oh lawd yes!

signkutter

Ready to race!
Sounds like what I am looking for. Ordrred up a Standard Housing Vortex along with tuning from EQT. Initially just going with a hpfp and 93 pump. I'm hoping the improvement will be pronounced coming from a stage 2 eqt tune

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sounds like what I am looking for. Ordrred up a Standard Housing Vortex along with tuning from EQT. Initially just going with a hpfp and 93 pump. I'm hoping the improvement will be pronounced coming from a stage 2 eqt tune

Night and day difference. 👍

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
As someone who just went from a stage 2 EQT tune to a standard housing Vortex on 93, what do you want to know?
He wants to know your Dragy times. 😉

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
As someone who just went from a stage 2 EQT tune to a standard housing Vortex on 93, what do you want to know?
Do you think the upgrade was substantial? My concern is if I get to this power level I’ll have to upgrade the mounts and brakes and pcv air oil system. I would also only do an HPFP.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Do you think the upgrade was substantial? My concern is if I get to this power level I’ll have to upgrade the mounts and brakes and pcv air oil system. I would also only do an HPFP.

Yes, it's substantial. My tune progress is a little weird, but with just a HPFP on pump you can expect to carry at least 28psi all the way to redline, and it just keeps it right through the shift. In the end, mine should be a little more than that since I did both HPFP/LPFP (and currently working through issues), but the version of the tune I'm on is essentially the power level of just a HPFP.

I'm on stock PCV and stock mounts, right now with no plans to upgrade either. I do have bigger brakes (the Macan Brembos), but don't see any reason why they would be necessary for regular street driving. If you're tracking the car, then there's definitely a benefit from the bigger brakes. I got them because they look dope.

I think for a street driven car, at both a performance and cost level, a vortex with a HPFP and custom tune is a good place to be. $3,000 down, and some good power. My own disdain for my current build is I'm nearing double that with nothing extra to show for it ☹️

Obviously that changes if you have different goals like big HP, creating a track monster, etc...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, it's substantial. My tune progress is a little weird, but with just a HPFP on pump you can expect to carry at least 28psi all the way to redline, and it just keeps it right through the shift. In the end, mine should be a little more than that since I did both HPFP/LPFP (and currently working through issues), but the version of the tune I'm on is essentially the power level of just a HPFP.

I'm on stock PCV and stock mounts, right now with no plans to upgrade either. I do have bigger brakes (the Macan Brembos), but don't see any reason why they would be necessary for regular street driving. If you're tracking the car, then there's definitely a benefit from the bigger brakes. I got them because they look dope.

I think for a street driven car, at both a performance and cost level, a vortex with a HPFP and custom tune is a good place to be. $3,000 down, and some good power. My own disdain for my current build is I'm nearing double that with nothing extra to show for it ☹️

Obviously that changes if you have different goals like big HP, creating a track monster, etc...
Get ready to replace the mounts. With the power you'll have the OEM mounts won't last long.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Get ready to replace the mounts. With the power you'll have the OEM mounts won't last long.

Shut up Jim :ROFLMAO:

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. While I don't plan on it right now, I'm not against it, like how I'm against MPI :ROFLMAO: