GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex vs XL

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Yes, it's substantial. My tune progress is a little weird, but with just a HPFP on pump you can expect to carry at least 28psi all the way to redline, and it just keeps it right through the shift. In the end, mine should be a little more than that since I did both HPFP/LPFP (and currently working through issues), but the version of the tune I'm on is essentially the power level of just a HPFP.

I'm on stock PCV and stock mounts, right now with no plans to upgrade either. I do have bigger brakes (the Macan Brembos), but don't see any reason why they would be necessary for regular street driving. If you're tracking the car, then there's definitely a benefit from the bigger brakes. I got them because they look dope.

I think for a street driven car, at both a performance and cost level, a vortex with a HPFP and custom tune is a good place to be. $3,000 down, and some good power. My own disdain for my current build is I'm nearing double that with nothing extra to show for it ☹️

Obviously that changes if you have different goals like big HP, creating a track monster, etc...
I do track the car. I just went from APR Low Torque to EQT Stage 2. Had to do clutch and changed downpipes so it wasn’t the cheapest swap. The clutch is the SB Stage 3 so I should be fine on the vortex. I think I’ll see how this season goes before making the jump.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Shut up Jim :ROFLMAO:

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. While I don't plan on it right now, I'm not against it, like how I'm against MPI :ROFLMAO:
Just relaying my experience. I don't know how many miles you have now but hopefully the stock mounts will last while you recover from your investment.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Shut up Jim :ROFLMAO:

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. While I don't plan on it right now, I'm not against it, like how I'm against MPI :ROFLMAO:
Do the R and GTI have the same mounts or are my R mounts slightly stiffer

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Thanks.

On my EQT tune, the actual level of the rail pressure doesn't look too much different, right around the 2900psi, but mine is nowhere near as steady and consistent as yours. I usually just do the default EQT loglist, which doesn't have the rail pressure setpoint, so I have no way of knowing what it's requesting. Similar levels of boost between them.

On my Sneeky one though, it's requesting 3333psi, and it's taking a dump down to 2400psi at 30psi of boost.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Didn’t someone mention the stock sensors if they see over 28 psi go into a limp protection mode?

sorry playing catch up.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Didn’t someone mention the stock sensors if they see over 28 psi go into a limp protection mode?

sorry playing catch up.

They might if you go far over, but I know it doesn't happen immediately.

1639361757482.png

That log was on stock sensors, and it plateaued at a completely flat 28.7psi at 5400rpm through 6600rpm because it exceeded the sensors. No limp protection mode. But from looking at logs after upgrading the sensors, it wasn't more than probably 1psi over that.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thanks.

On my EQT tune, the actual level of the rail pressure doesn't look too much different, right around the 2900psi, but mine is nowhere near as steady and consistent as yours. I usually just do the default EQT loglist, which doesn't have the rail pressure setpoint, so I have no way of knowing what it's requesting. Similar levels of boost between them.

On my Sneeky one though, it's requesting 3333psi, and it's taking a dump down to 2400psi at 30psi of boost.
less about the rail pressure on his log on comparison to you and more about the % of the hpfp effective volume, his does the normal - at spool up the percent is higher and as the rpms increase the percent tapers, yours is stuck above 95%

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
less about the rail pressure on his log on comparison to you and more about the % of the hpfp effective volume, his does the normal - at spool up the percent is higher and as the rpms increase the percent tapers, yours is stuck above 95%

I'm just going to stop trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about :ROFLMAO:

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Just got the standard. HPFP, upgraded sensors, shooting for 400wtq (capped) 420-440whp. Also do not want to run over 30psi.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Keep us
Just got the standard. HPFP, upgraded sensors, shooting for 400wtq (capped) 420-440whp. Also do not want to run over 30psi.
Keep us posted! 🙌 🏎