GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex vs XL

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
Recently helped my buddy do an is20 swap on his golf and everything went smoothly. Honestly not that hard to do, only hard thing is the hard lines that are facing toward the front of the car which is the coolant one and the one directly below the turbo which is oil I believe were a PITA to get off. Also a side note/question for any of you guys that have turbo swapped, did you replace the studs on the exhaust manifold or leave the factory ones and if so how did you do this? Also ecs included 3 bolts in the gasket kit that were not used in the shopdap video at all? Anyways I'm looking into going hybrid is38 and pretty much have my mind set on an eqt turbo but trying to decide wither the Normal Vortex or XL will be better bang for buck/fit my needs. Realistic power goal I am trying to achieve is 450 to the wheels I know I probability wont be able to achieve that without mpi which I will get in the future, just do not know if the xl will be better due to the fact it wouldn't have to work as hard to produce that much power? Any information from eqt turbo owners or anyone with experience is appreciated.

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
Standard will use all of your stock fuel system and more. If you plan on port injection go XL, if you don't, go standard.

I do plan on going port injection in the long run shortly after like less than 3 months. I guess I just want to know if the XL would be fine for the mean time until I were to get the mpi setup.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Best thing you can do is look at all the info on his website and be honest with yourself about your priorities and goals.

XL flows more and will make more power for a given typical setup...at the expense of spool. A little lag probably isn't a terrible thing for FWD and DSG, but everyone has their personal preferences. But around town or autocross scenario you might notice. Whether or not that is a big deal or an issue depends on you.... Standard is probably good if you don't plan on going past the stock map sensor limit of 28-29 psi.

His FAQ too if you haven't seen it. Ultimately if you still can't decide just give them a call/email and let him decide: https://eqtuning.com/apps/help-cent...iDI05VkUYxrXja4Y2fR1kcABvQvM9QkWXqE-fNy1R5MUA

vw671

Autocross Newbie
FWIW I made 458whp/425wtq on my EQT standard housing on E48 with just a HPFP and 450 LPFP on stock MAP sensors. *Tuned by 5150 Racing

Now with MPI + built block its in the 500's.

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
Do you have the screenshot of the torque curve from that dyno you could post? I am personally interested in retaining as much bottom end spool for around town as possible, ive been going back and forth with just maxing out the is20 on e85 or going l380 to get some that top end hp to redline.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Do you have the screenshot of the torque curve from that dyno you could post? I am personally interested in retaining as much bottom end spool for around town as possible, ive been going back and forth with just maxing out the is20 on e85 or going l380 to get some that top end hp to redline.

When I switched to an IS38 my peak torque is at 4200 RPM vs 3400 RPM on the IS20. The RPM's jump so fast it's not noticeable but the top end power is definitely noticeable.

vw671

Autocross Newbie

The torque curve on that graph doesn't really show the correct rpm as the tires were slipping on the rollers a bit but here it is:

Here's the same tune/fuel on 5150's dyno which obviously reads really low but it shows the correct rpm:

Here's what it looks like now with MPI and full e85 (*est ~540whp ~500wtq on a typical Dynojet).

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
FWIW I made 458whp/425wtq on my EQT standard housing on E48 with just a HPFP and 450 LPFP on stock MAP sensors. *Tuned by 5150 Racing

Now with MPI + built block its in the 500's.

Holy crap! Very nice results that's amazing thank you for sharing!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Both need full fueling to even scratch the reason why you'd buy either.

On these cars it seems the lag is basically negligible. Get the bigger one. Tuning and ethanol is 90% of it.

I ran an eqt XL on a small e blend and without fueling it would've just been slow. Like others said if you wanna stay stock for some reason go standard but an XL on just a tiny bit of e with mpi is going to feel snappier than a standard on 93.