GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Revised results are up, due to a protest for an illegal front differential in a mk6 Golf R, pushing the class up a position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are, with specific restrictions for AWD vehicles.

Makes sense, I haven't paid much attention to STH rules, because I'm not ready to build yet. I'm sure the rules will change again.

Back when I first ran STU, you could do a little aero. They killed that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I’m thinking about writing a letter to allow aftermarket clutches. I doubt anyone in a tuned car wants to run a stock clutch.

I think a clutch is more likely to be replaced, before putting a race seat in, for example.

I would like to run the TCU tune, but can’t for probably the same reasons, manual cars can’t upgrade the clutch.

A member of the STAC asked me what I thought and suggested I write a letter.

What do you all think?

I’m thinking about writing a letter to allow aftermarket clutches. I doubt anyone in a tuned car wants to run a stock clutch.

I think a clutch is more likely to be replaced, before putting a race seat in, for example.

I would like to run the TCU tune, but can’t for probably the same reasons, manual cars can’t upgrade the clutch.

A member of the STAC asked me what I thought and suggested I write a letter.

What do you all think?

Clutch is a no brainer, especially when you have to replace it. Who in their right mind would put the stock clutch in one of these when replacing? They can't hold stock power.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think for my mind clutch is the main reason that would stop someone from going from a GS car to STH, especially if you have a 6MT. We know DSG is more robust with extra power added, while 6MT can barely survive on stock level.

The change though I doubt will just roll through it though. If you think about ST classes in general a clutch allowance might not mean a whole lot in STS/STX or even STR. But in STU or STH it might shift the balance, considering I'd imagine an AWD car might be limited by clutch as a driveline fuse to get more power, especially now that boost is no longer limited.

On the LSD thing I think they can add a LSD if they don't have one(I don't know any AWD car that doesn't have one, and Haldex coupling is viewed as a LSD), so if they added another LSD its definitely illegal.

On the TCU tune I wrote a letter a long time ago about it and it was not viewed as good for the class. I still think its really no different than having a ECU tune in most cases. I say keep writting letter I guess. But only VAG cars really care about it....

If I were writing the rules for STH and considering clutches, I'd require staying with the stock flywheel, but leaving pressure plate and disc material open.

I think TCU should be covered under ECU tuning.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
One more autocross weekend left before I take a break.

I’ve installed the 034 rear bar on the soft setting and getting the rear toe changed from -.08 to -0.15 (OE setting).

I suspect it’s going to be a bit loose, but that’s why I have an experimental sticker on my door.

One more autocross weekend left before I take a break.

I’ve installed the 034 rear bar on the soft setting and getting the rear toe changed from -.08 to -0.15 (OE setting).

I suspect it’s going to be a bit loose, but that’s why I have an experimental sticker on my door.

I've found -1.8 to be perfect with a rear bar. YMMV, but it's proven the ticket with both mk7's.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I don’t think this advice works for 265 fronts with -2.0 of front camber.

Front grip is so high, that a reduction in rear toe towards zero, creates instability.

At least, that’s my experience with three different toe settings in the last month or so.

I don’t think this advice works for 265 fronts with -2.0 of front camber.

Front grip is so high, that a reduction in rear toe towards zero, creates instability.

At least, that’s my experience with three different toe settings in the last month or so.

I hear you. But instability under what conditions. If it's instability in transitions, increase the rear neg camber. If it's instability at high steady state cornering, add a little toe in in the rear.

You also had an uncontrolled spit in tire pressures, so you were trying to hit a moving target.