GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
With a 1 inch drop on a GTI PP, I was -1.9 on one side, -2 on the other with the Eurosport camber kit. Zero added NVH, but you'll have to use a different camber solution if you want more than that. I'm up in the air as to whether that's enough.

It also makes -2.4 seem pretty reasonable with some of the other solutions, as they add significantly more neg camber than the Eurosport kit.

Update to my post. I'm at -2.4 with the above mentioned setup, with using the slack in the lower ball joint bolts and the strut mount play. I'm going to file the holes a little at both ends and see if I can't get close to -3.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Update to my post. I'm at -2.4 with the above mentioned setup, with using the slack in the lower ball joint bolts and the strut mount play. I'm going to file the holes a little at both ends and see if I can't get close to -3.

nice! sounds like ~-2 degrees with eurosport camber and shifting mount centers is easily possible (without lowering), which is a very solid number for a compromise DD setup.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
nice! sounds like ~-2 degrees with eurosport camber and shifting mount centers is easily possible (without lowering), which is a very solid number for a compromise DD setup.

If I had it to do again, I'd use takeoff R springs like the CSS does with the Eurosports. I think you'd end up with just over -2 or more if you get a little creative with a rat tail file cleaning up the holes a little bit. While the APR springs do significantly help with body motions, the stock shocks just aren't up the task. And if you're going to do Bilstiens with them, then just get a good set of coilovers and call it a day. I'm going to stick with what I have now for awhile, but I'm just not 100% happy with ride. On course, they seem fine though.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If I had it to do again, I'd use takeoff R springs like the CSS does with the Eurosports. I think you'd end up with just over -2 or more if you get a little creative with a rat tail file cleaning up the holes a little bit. While the APR springs do significantly help with body motions, the stock shocks just aren't up the task. And if you're going to do Bilstiens with them, then just get a good set of coilovers and call it a day. I'm going to stick with what I have now for awhile, but I'm just not 100% happy with ride. On course, they seem fine though.
I'm in an R already with DCC, so the only springs I'd consider would likely be an MSS kit or similar - I wouldn't want to be much lower (.5in max). Don't see myself filing anything but for my usage 2 degrees should be a good compromise. Once I actually get things installed that is.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

Jealous of that -2.4. I have that with camber plates right now but I've been fighting a cross-camber issue despite my plates being even left-right and trying to shift the subframe. Bummer with top-mount adjustable dampers is you can't shove the strut nut under the body or else you lose the ability to adjust. I have more adjustment in the camber plate but it's useless.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
why the shit does a pair of the CSS knucks cost 900 bucks?
New knuckles from the dealer (non-CSS) are listed at 465, so it doesn't sound too absurd that a low-production part would be roughly the same.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Jealous of that -2.4. I have that with camber plates right now but I've been fighting a cross-camber issue despite my plates being even left-right and trying to shift the subframe. Bummer with top-mount adjustable dampers is you can't shove the strut nut under the body or else you lose the ability to adjust. I have more adjustment in the camber plate but it's useless.

It turns in so well now. Managing understeer constantly while driving is tedious and GS trim became a chore. I'm loving the car now.

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
New knuckles from the dealer (non-CSS) are listed at 465, so it doesn't sound too absurd that a low-production part would be roughly the same.
Is there no reasonable way to get a little more camber other than coilovers and camber plates?

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Is there no reasonable way to get a little more camber other than coilovers and camber plates?

You can try the Superpro LCA's. They don't give a bunch of camber, I think only -.5 degrees but they give a little more caster which I believe gives better dynamic camber and tightens up the steering in the front end.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
And those have the solid rubber bushings too, so they'd potentially improve traction and turn in even more

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
CSS swivels will only add another 0.5 degrees of negative camber.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
They are shiny aluminum with bright purple bushings....they are going stick out like a sore thumb.

CSS swivels will slide through. Heck you can’t tell the difference. They look exactly the same as regular hubs.

Last edited: