GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I made some last minutes changes before SOLO Nationals.

I was able to shift the fuel tank left and created some more room.

Was able to reduce to 5mm spacer with room for more negative camber.

Getting another alignment today, then two test and tune sessions tomorrow, in Lincoln.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Liners with self clearance, so not a big deal.

I wonder why there's such a big variation in clearance among posters? I'd assume different offsets and differences in actual tire width from tire to tire.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Differences in tire are big. The 265-35/18 RE71R has a tread width of 9.7 inches.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I made some last minutes changes before SOLO Nationals.

I was able to shift the fuel tank left and created some more room.

Was able to reduce to 5mm spacer with room for more negative camber.

Getting another alignment today, then two test and tune sessions tomorrow, in Lincoln.

Alignment tech was not very good. Only got me -1.2L and -1.4R, so a .4/.6 increase.

I’ll have to get adjustable upper arms if I want more camber, if I don’t lower the car.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Oh wow, those are narrow, my AR1's have an inch on them!

It is Tirerack's measured tread width. A corresponding measurement for your tire is not known since TR doesn't sell Nankang tires and the measurement technique uses a device that TR developed for their own use.

I measured the section width of a 265/35R18 RE71R mounted to a 9" wheel at 10.2". The published section width for this tire is 10.7" when mounted to a 9.5" wheel.

edit: Nankang has the same section width: 671mm (10.67") when measured on a 9.5" wheel: https://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/products/motorsport/ar-1/

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
For DSG guys, do you left foot brake or no? If so do you feel it makes a big difference. I do not because I'm not that advanced but I would like to learn it.

My region's final event of the year is an "Enduro" where you get 3 two-lap runs instead of 5 1 lap runs. So that will be an interesting change. My car isn't setup to be competitive but I still have tons of fun!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
How are you all dealing with the passenger side filler neck getting in the way of the rear wheel?

The fuel filler tube appears to be a FWD rear clearance problem. I’m running -1.8 in the rear at stock ride height.

So with the Nitto NT01’s 255-40-17’s, I’ve rubbed the paint off the filler shield.

Thank you for the tip on shifting the fuel tank left.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Sean.mason.75873 said:
34 or 35 is better on higher grip surfaces if you're watching wear, but our main site is an old gravely air strip, so 32 doesn't really have much affect on tire wear, but we do go higher at places with more grip. You being on a 265/35 18 I assume, the higher pressure makes sense.

Moving this comment from the Solo National results to this thread to continue the setup discussion.

Last edited:
I didn't realize STH allowed intercoolers now. I'm going to struggle to get another season in GS with the thought of a trackable STH setup bouncing around in my head.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk