GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Muffler delete quiet?

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
After getting my suspension problem sorted out (thanks to all you guys), I figured the next plan of action was to get a muffler and/or resonator delete. I knew very little about the mechanical part of cars when I first purchased this GTI, but I knew that it didn't have a stock exhaust. After I researched where the muffler and resonator were, I realized that the previous owner deleted the muffler and put a straight pipe from the resonator to the back, with a new exhaust tip (I originally thought it was just an aftermarket exhaust tip). However, my GTI sounds very quiet compared to the videos on YouTube and such. When I first start it up cold, it does sound pretty loud, but there are no pops or gurgles what-so-ever when I rev the engine. Once the engine gets about halfway warm, the exhaust becomes fairly quiet.

One disclaimer: the new straight pipe/exhaust tip aren't attached to the bottom of my car. I don't know if whoever did it sucked at welding and it just detached, but the exhaust is essentially hanging freely past the resonator. I know this is super bad, I just haven't had the time to get it fixed yet (the shop I took my GTI to to get repaired won't fix it). I found this out when my friend sent me a video of my exhaust shaking around like crazy when driving on the freeway. In addition, I have asked multiple people if they can hear my car when driving next to me, and they say no, even when I rev past 4000. Also, they can barely hear my GTI coming down the street just 75 feet away.

Anyways, are muffler deletes really not that loud once the engine warms up, or does it sound quiet because the exhaust isn't fully attached?

P.S. For those of you who hate resonator/muffler deletes, I am mainly doing this because I don't have the budget to add any engine mods, so the sound makes up for the lack of power :wink:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Your oem DP has two catalysts on it. That's what is quieting it right now.
There's one cat right where the DP connects to the turbo and another following it just past the flex pipe:
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s438/GIACUser/photo_zps6add71cc.jpg

You may not even have a hanger on it...if so there may only be one. If you find it does have one hanger but it won't stay put...try placing the hanger into its holder and see if you can add a small hose clamp to the end of the hanger while in the holder to lock it on. The oem has two hangers on them(see the above pic on the muffler) so you could have a double made if wanting it secured as best you can. My Techtonics has a dual hanger...will look like this with two hangers; http://techtonicstuning.com/main/images/252_526D.jpg

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Add a downpipe = problem solved (for more noise)

Even just grab a ebay downpipe for cheap, it'll throw a CEL but will give you LOTS more noise

This. Just be careful if you live in an emissions testing area.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
Your oem DP has two catalysts on it. That's what is quieting it right now.
There's one cat right where the DP connects to the turbo and another following it just past the flex pipe:
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s438/GIACUser/photo_zps6add71cc.jpg

You may not even have a hanger on it...if so there may only be one. If you find it does have one hanger but it won't stay put...try placing the hanger into its holder and see if you can add a small hose clamp to the end of the hanger while in the holder to lock it on. The oem has two hangers on them(see the above pic on the muffler) so you could have a double made if wanting it secured as best you can. My Techtonics has a dual hanger...will look like this with two hangers; http://techtonicstuning.com/main/images/252_526D.jpg
Ah okay, so if I am understanding this correctly, I need to add a downpipe like what snobrdrdan said, in order to get rid of those "cats" (I assume this means catalytic converter)?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Does a resonator delete void emissions?

To answer your last question, yes cats=catalytic convertor.

Deleting a resonator will not cause issues with emissions testing. A aftermarket downpipe will flow better and delete the cats in the OEM downpipe. If you have emissions testing a simple tune and O2 spacer will solve the testing issue. If you live in a state with visual inspections or sniffers you would be better off getting a downpipe with a single cat.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you have emissions testing a simple tune and O2 spacer will solve the testing issue. If you live in a state with visual inspections or sniffers you would be better off getting a downpipe with a single cat.

Yeah, the visual inspection part can be the kicker. I know that here in my county in Georgia, they stick a mirror on a pole under your car to look.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
To answer your last question, yes cats=catalytic convertor.

Deleting a resonator will not cause issues with emissions testing. A aftermarket downpipe will flow better and delete the cats in the OEM downpipe. If you have emissions testing a simple tune and O2 spacer will solve the testing issue. If you live in a state with visual inspections or sniffers you would be better off getting a downpipe with a single cat.
Ah okay thanks, this clears up a lot. For somebody who has a very low budget, would it be cheaper to just cut out one of the cats from the OEM downpipe or to get a resonator delete (where I live has visual inspections)? Also, which one is better sounding?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
There is another solution, you can take the downpipe out and smash the first catalyst converter, the one past the turbo. It's easy to do, you will still pass emission, no CEL and a bit more noise (this catalyst is only useful to limit emissions while the second catalyst is cold).

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
There is another solution, you can take the downpipe out and smash the first catalyst converter, the one past the turbo. It's easy to do, you will still pass emission, no CEL and a bit more noise (this catalyst is only useful to limit emissions while the second catalyst is cold).
Yeah this is what I was thinking too, since Das Genpenst said I could take one of the cats out and be fine. Do you know how much a shop would charge to do this? I am thinking of also getting a second hanger on my exhaust so it will stay mounted. I don't think I could DIY any of it because I have no way of lifting up my car.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I don't know how much it would cost, it's just a matter of removing the downpipe, hammer the cat, clean and reinstalling it. Only part needed is the gasket. Buy a cheap jack and 2 jack stands, it will not cost you much and it's handy for small jobs like oil changes.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know how much it would cost, it's just a matter of removing the downpipe, hammer the cat, clean and reinstalling it. Only part needed is the gasket. Buy a cheap jack and 2 jack stands, it will not cost you much and it's handy for small jobs like oil changes.
Do I have to replace the area that the cat took up with a different pipe, or would I just leave the broken cat in my exhaust system?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Are the GTI cats similar to others that are filled with the honeycomb-ish diffuser? My old S10 had one like that and it broke and started to rattle. So we just popped it off, went at the packing inside with a hammer and screwdriver until it was broken into small enough pieces to let it fall out the pipe.