GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAF based W/M kits

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
After researching, I understand people advise to stay away from MAF based W/M kits, due to how sensitive and erratic our MAF is. From what I've seen, many people have aftermarket intakes on their cars which causes the fuel trim to jump all over the place. The factory intake has a mesh screen placed in front of the MAF which is suppose to stabilize the air flow for a more proper reading. So I see 2 options here:

Option 1 - Utilize factory intake
Option 2 - Install a Treadstone air straightener

Now with those options, then would using a MAF based W/M kit be a reliable option?

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Do you run your water meth thru your intake? My BSH intake has a little knob with a cap on it, I was thinking that would be a good place to run water meth.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Why not just use boost reference? I and multiple others in my car Club have been running our water meth systems using boost as reference without any issues. Also a much simpler setup.

What he said. I posted on this numerous times over the past 8 years. Boost is easier to setup and maintain

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
Do you run your water meth thru your intake? My BSH intake has a little knob with a cap on it, I was thinking that would be a good place to run water meth.

Intake or throttle pipe? I'm not aware of their True Seal intake having a W/M bung available. I know their throttle pipe has 2 available and if that is what you are referring to, then yes you can use it for W/M. They actually sell kits with that pipe included to make the install a snap.

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
What he said. I posted on this numerous times over the past 8 years. Boost is easier to setup and maintain

I chose MAF instead of a boost reference because I am still running the stock K03. Since it's a small turbo, it can hit max boost fairly quickly then begin to taper off. I feel that the MAF kit will give me more of a consistent performance. Also I think the people who had problems in the past with the MAF kits is because they had the controller where it only read VOLTS and not Hz (frequency based). The people I have read about who have had success with their MAF kits are all running the appropriate 2.0T FSI specific controllers. And that is the exact one I purchased. AEM's multiport MAF/MAP controller also can be set to read the VW 2.0T MAF frequency.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Intake or throttle pipe? I'm not aware of their True Seal intake having a W/M bung available. I know their throttle pipe has 2 available and if that is what you are referring to, then yes you can use it for W/M. They actually sell kits with that pipe included to make the install a snap.

The intake. See the part that I circled.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Yea youd want it in the throttle pipe or snag a throttle body spacer. I ran a maf based setup for two months till i switched to big turbo with no maf so I got snows vc50 controller. Not because of preference but due to ease of changing the settings

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
The intake. See the part that I circled.

That's is the bung for a dv relocate. You do not want to run water meth from right there. As Jay said, post intercooler is the smartest place to run water meth. Trust me, you don't want your IC filling up with water meth.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I guess it's a good thing I asked you guys before doing it. Also, I've heard that I want to upgrade my internals before I run water meth, other wise I'll fry them very quickly. Is this true?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I guess it's a good thing I asked you guys before doing it. Also, I've heard that I want to upgrade my internals before I run water meth, other wise I'll fry them very quickly. Is this true?

I have been running my K04 setup with 335/336 for 3 years on stock internals just like many others. This includes a number of track days, again like many others. Water Meth by itself does nothing to imperil your engine internals, actually it helps prevent pre-ignition/knock.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma

Definitely bad information there. Water/meth will improve the longevity of your engine.