GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04.. cold start sucks.. misfires.. help!

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
I love my twintake! If that was the deciding factor between having a well running APR tune, or what I have now... I'd drop the tune without hesitation :p

They wanted me to check the injectors... I fought telling them to f'off. Car runs fine (misfire free) all through a normal daily driver rpm range, so I don't see why I would even bother entertaining that expensive "check" unless they are footing the bill.

I brought this problem up to them within my first 30 days, so I told them at what point can we blame the "tune" and have someone get back to me on a refund.

DM is where I'm going once this is done with... unfortunately I got the upgrade just weeks before learning all about DM in the forums. Otherwise I would have bit on another full tune price to have them customize one for my car :(

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
Looks like a lot of APR "tune" customers may be soon dropping them for something better. Time to call DM OP.

Not YET. I am waiting on my new 42DD intake to show up in a few days. I'm going to see how it runs and run a few logs as well. If this doesn't fix it, then I am probably going to pull the trigger on a new tune from DM. I am sick of having issues (mine are minor now), and seeing so many others with APR tune issues.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
My cold starts are kind of better now. The car immediately starts at 1000rpm and works it way down to 700-800 rpm a little quicker than before. Although, my car feels a little rough atm due to the air intake leak code I have.

Sorry to back this thread up but what intake leak code is this? I also have a leak (fairly bad one too) right at the MAF housing.. Any idea how detrimental it is to fuel trims?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Subd. Might it be weak valve springs? Those are all the rage these days. :bonk:

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Subd. Might it be weak valve springs? Those are all the rage these days. :bonk:

I noticed some of those threads too, but thought I read it was just 2008+ that had that spring issue. Could be wrong. I haven't checked that yet myself.

Sent from my iPad using Crapatalk

Car(s)
Subaru
Not YET. I am waiting on my new 42DD intake to show up in a few days. I'm going to see how it runs and run a few logs as well. If this doesn't fix it, then I am probably going to pull the trigger on a new tune from DM. I am sick of having issues (mine are minor now), and seeing so many others with APR tune issues.

oh, i thought you had already switched:bonk:

DC Dubber

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Long Time Lurker first time poster

No intentions of thread jacking, just wanted to chime in and get some thoughts from you guys. As well as the OP

I too just recently went K04 during APR's last sale and have been suffering with the same issues as the OP for nearly four months. I've also wasted over 2 Grand trying to fix the misfire issues @ WOT.

Mods are pretty similar, 65,000 Miles on the clock

-APR K04 (Software V1.1 Test-Pipe File)
-APR Runner Flap Delete
-APR FMIC
-APR TBE
-APR HPFP
-S3 Injectors
-VWR Intake
-Rev. D Diverter Valve
-NGK PFR7B (Currently Gapped @ .026)
-R8 Coil Packs
-Carbon Cleaning Done during K04 install
-Rev. B Camshaft. "Replaced @ 52,000 Miles under CPO Warranty with OEM HPFP"

Things I've replaced (So Far)

-LPFP
-Brand New APR HPFP "originally rebuilt the OEM one through APR"
-Fuel Filter
-Three Sets of Plugs "Two PFR7B and 1 OEM"
-Two sets of R8 Coil Packs
-MAF
-Two Leak Tests using smoke at two different shops "none were found"
-Battery
-DSG service at the Dealership

The cold start issue, I believe is directly related to the RFD and I'm not sure any amount of tuning can completely get rid of it. In my case cold starts are pretty horrible if the car has sat for a long duration (in cold weather only). It also takes a few cranks sometimes to get her going. I never had this issue during the summer. When logging I get misfires across all 4 cylinders until the car warms up. This happens in stock Mode as well.

Stage 1 @ 40, 00 Miles, Stage 2+ @ 55,000 miles and K04 @ 63,000 miles. The car ran perfectly at each stage with the exception of the camshaft issue which was a minor hiccup. It's never run right since I went K04 with APR. Right after the install I noticed there was a weird partial throttle issue in D mode that felt like small misfires or power loss between 2000-3000rpm where the tach would bounce, there would be some hesitation and then once above 3500rpm everything would be fine. It could easily be replicated and only at partial to mid throttle. WOT was for the most part fine. Then came the misfires at WOT right @ 5500rpm on multiple cylinders. I took it back to the shop that did the install they log it, send them to APR, and it was incorrectly diagnosed as a leak in the stock air box and the gap of the OEM plugs. At the time, I felt confident that issue was resolved until it came back a week later. Driving in D mode simply became unbearable. A TB adaption was recommended, tried multiple times, and showed absolutely no improvement. We then began looking for leaks and none were found.

The interesting part about all of this is that I seemingly don’t get any misfires in S mode at all, I've logged extensively and they’re simply not present. Hence the recommendation from the shop that did the install for a DSG service. Which was a total waste of money BTW.

After wasting 600$ in diagnostic fees I decided to go out on my own. Regapping the plugs to .026 seems to have helped with the partial throttle issue somewhat but it's still there. The Misfires @ WOT still persist and I’ve yet to find any hardware combination that resolves the issue other than putting the car in stock mode. Another thing I’ve noticed is that if I remove the battery for say 30 minutes, switch to 93 or 91 the misfires go away for a few days.

Looking at some of the recent threads I see this supposed valve spring issue popping up here and there and I’m wondering why this issue seems to be affecting those running APR’s tune “or they seem to be reporting it more often” I was under the impression that the weak valve springs were isolated to some GLI and CC models. Reading threads like this really have me wondering if this isn’t a software issue.

I do have a UNI shop nearby and I’m seriously considering changing tunes. I’ve haven’t reached out to them yet. I have some concerns regarding how they handle readiness and if they even have a tune for the RFD.

To the OP not sure if he has a DSG if so do you get the misfires in S mode as well?

Last edited:

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks for the post, interesting read!

Yes I am DSG as well, but honestly haven't had the car in S mode much (kinda felt like it was less powerful than D). I didn't log anything in S mode, but will next week when I am back home.

Interesting response from APR just now... "I have not had any other customers complain about cold start issues and high RPM misfires.". WHAT?! lol

Car(s)
Subaru
what did the fuel trims look like? as for the springs, i didnt even know that was a thing for fsi engines until bronson corrected us all. but i have no clue.

i saw you said youre gapped at .026 and not .028. im sure .002 wont make any difference but i figured id throw that out there.

try unplugging the maf sensor and reset the ecu. the tune will adapt and if the misfires go away, then its prolly the intake. i saw you said they checked for leaks and found one on the stock intake though, so it makes me believe that you had problems before the vwr intake.

the rough starts is prolly the rfd, but after it warms up, it should be fine. im not sure how dms rfd tune is yet, but dm might be a good root to take. youll get faster support and someone active on these forums and also a competitive price for the tune you get. uni is a good tune, but bronson and the guys at dm will do a tune based off YOUR logs. so that vwr intake wont be a problem.

DC Dubber

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
what did the fuel trims look like? as for the springs, i didnt even know that was a thing for fsi engines until bronson corrected us all. but i have no clue. .
Do you have a link to this info? I’d like to get some sort of definitive explanation surrounding this issue. APR certainly hasn’t mentioned this as a possible culprit.
i saw you said youre gapped at .026 and not .028. im sure .002 wont make any difference but i figured id throw that out there. .
What I’ve found in my case is that the .026 gap helped considerably with the hesitation at mid to partial throttle. The only references I could find to what I've been experiencing was this and this. There’s a long K04 thread in MK6 forums that describes this issue in detail with some attributing the problem to small leaks and others that claim it was the plugs. While others said it was simply the nature of the K04.
try unplugging the maf sensor and reset the ecu. the tune will adapt and if the misfires go away, then its prolly the intake. i saw you said they checked for leaks and found one on the stock intake though, so it makes me believe that you had problems before the vwr intake.
The Intake has been ruled out as a possible factor. I previously had the Carbonio with the stock air box and had the same issues. I’ve tested with stock snorkel with the same results and finally purchased a new MAF to no avail. The misfires and hesitation occur with the MAF unplugged as well.
Fuel trims with the stock snorkel and the Carbonio were damn near perfect. I’ve got the revised VWR so while they’re not perfect, I certainly would consider them acceptable.

Just logged this yesterday

Last edited:

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Many people know my feelings about APR after having done business with them and their dealers I work with personally in the past 14 years or so. Most tuners will give you some sort or free trial for software. So in all reality if you think it's software related, it's basically free for you to switch and find out before spending tons of months throwing parts at a problem that might fix it. Not saying the valve springs are not an issue but I feel they are using it as an excuse for broader problems with their software. I also find it interesting that Revo, GIAC, and Uni, all with tunes more aggressive than APR have none of these issues. Imo if they spent the same amount of time in perfecting their products and actuall customer service after the sale, vs bashing other companies and making up false elaborate advertising claims, they could produce the products that they had in mind when founding the company. they feel their products are always perfect so its impossible for any of their parts or tuning to cause the problems bcause they are just so uber awesome. It's always the installers or something else's fault for their failures. A products warranty is only as good as the paper it's written on if the manufacturer doesn't stand behind their products, and this is a major problem I have always had with APR. Sorry rant over.
FYI I personally have flashed 3 vehicles from APR to GIAC and all the customers problems were solved, with many more on forum having same experience. Again most give you some sort of free trial for you to see if it solves the problem.

Car(s)
Subaru
Many people know my feelings about APR after having done business with them and their dealers I work with personally in the past 14 years or so. Most tuners will give you some sort or free trial for software. So in all reality if you think it's software related, it's basically free for you to switch and find out before spending tons of months throwing parts at a problem that might fix it. Not saying the valve springs are not an issue but I feel they are using it as an excuse for broader problems with their software. I also find it interesting that Revo, GIAC, and Uni, all with tunes more aggressive than APR have none of these issues. Imo if they spent the same amount of time in perfecting their products and actuall customer service after the sale, vs bashing other companies and making up false elaborate advertising claims, they could produce the products that they had in mind when founding the company. they feel their products are always perfect so its impossible for any of their parts or tuning to cause the problems bcause they are just so uber awesome. It's always the installers or something else's fault for their failures. A products warranty is only as good as the paper it's written on if the manufacturer doesn't stand behind their products, and this is a major problem I have always had with APR. Sorry rant over.
FYI I personally have flashed 3 vehicles from APR to GIAC and all the customers problems were solved, with many more on forum having same experience. Again most give you some sort of free trial for you to see if it solves the problem.

sadly it didnt fix bunns :cry:

maybe bunn is moving in the right direction and getting a new lpfp :iono:

but i agree with you 100%. i switched from apr to dm and every single problem was fixed. my car feels so much faster now and i had no clue there was that much room on a s2+ tune. i thought apr and the rest were decently close. ill NEVER recommend someone to apr outside of their hpfp, and that will prolly soon change as soon as ie comes out with theirs. i want to see apr go out of business. might sound harsh but that company pisses me off too much. they constantly cry when they dont win in a motorsport and their customer service is horrible and the tunes are a joke. they do one thing good and thats making hardware, but who wants to paying 2x the price for something