GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04.. cold start sucks.. misfires.. help!

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah buns car upsets me. I'm also not trying to imply its a cure all either.

madmortar

lalala I sing for you
Car(s)
08 GTi
Long Time Lurker first time poster

No intentions of thread jacking, just wanted to chime in and get some thoughts from you guys. As well as the OP

I too just recently went K04 during APR's last sale and have been suffering with the same issues as the OP for nearly four months. I've also wasted over 2 Grand trying to fix the misfire issues @ WOT.

Mods are pretty similar, 65,000 Miles on the clock

-APR K04 (Software V1.1 Test-Pipe File)
-APR Runner Flap Delete
-APR FMIC
-APR TBE
-APR HPFP
-S3 Injectors
-VWR Intake
-Rev. D Diverter Valve
-NGK PFR7B (Currently Gapped @ .026)
-R8 Coil Packs
-Carbon Cleaning Done during K04 install
-Rev. B Camshaft. "Replaced @ 52,000 Miles under CPO Warranty with OEM HPFP"

Things I've replaced (So Far)

-LPFP
-Brand New APR HPFP "originally rebuilt the OEM one through APR"
-Fuel Filter
-Three Sets of Plugs "Two PFR7B and 1 OEM"
-Two sets of R8 Coil Packs
-MAF
-Two Leak Tests using smoke at two different shops "none were found"
-Battery
-DSG service at the Dealership

The cold start issue, I believe is directly related to the RFD and I'm not sure any amount of tuning can completely get rid of it. In my case cold starts are pretty horrible if the car has sat for a long duration (in cold weather only). It also takes a few cranks sometimes to get her going. I never had this issue during the summer. When logging I get misfires across all 4 cylinders until the car warms up. This happens in stock Mode as well.

Stage 1 @ 40, 00 Miles, Stage 2+ @ 55,000 miles and K04 @ 63,000 miles. The car ran perfectly at each stage with the exception of the camshaft issue which was a minor hiccup. It's never run right since I went K04 with APR. Right after the install I noticed there was a weird partial throttle issue in D mode that felt like small misfires or power loss between 2000-3000rpm where the tach would bounce, there would be some hesitation and then once above 3500rpm everything would be fine. It could easily be replicated and only at partial to mid throttle. WOT was for the most part fine. Then came the misfires at WOT right @ 5500rpm on multiple cylinders. I took it back to the shop that did the install they log it, send them to APR, and it was incorrectly diagnosed as a leak in the stock air box and the gap of the OEM plugs. At the time, I felt confident that issue was resolved until it came back a week later. Driving in D mode simply became unbearable. A TB adaption was recommended, tried multiple times, and showed absolutely no improvement. We then began looking for leaks and none were found.

The interesting part about all of this is that I seemingly don’t get any misfires in S mode at all, I've logged extensively and they’re simply not present. Hence the recommendation from the shop that did the install for a DSG service. Which was a total waste of money BTW.

After wasting 600$ in diagnostic fees I decided to go out on my own. Regapping the plugs to .026 seems to have helped with the partial throttle issue somewhat but it's still there. The Misfires @ WOT still persist and I’ve yet to find any hardware combination that resolves the issue other than putting the car in stock mode. Another thing I’ve noticed is that if I remove the battery for say 30 minutes, switch to 93 or 91 the misfires go away for a few days.

Looking at some of the recent threads I see this supposed valve spring issue popping up here and there and I’m wondering why this issue seems to be affecting those running APR’s tune “or they seem to be reporting it more often” I was under the impression that the weak valve springs were isolated to some GLI and CC models. Reading threads like this really have me wondering if this isn’t a software issue.

I do have a UNI shop nearby and I’m seriously considering changing tunes. I’ve haven’t reached out to them yet. I have some concerns regarding how they handle readiness and if they even have a tune for the RFD.

To the OP not sure if he has a DSG if so do you get the misfires in S mode as well?

Damn dude...thats crazy as you are running all APR "approved" parts including intake. I'd be mega pissed if I were you..

Is APR still on this forum? Surprised they have not done any damage control. They have never been the fastest but they were all about reliability. I just dont see if as everyone going APR K04 is having issues.

Car(s)
Subaru
Damn dude...thats crazy as you are running all APR "approved" parts including intake. I'd be mega pissed if I were you..

Is APR still on this forum? Surprised they have not done any damage control. They have never been the fastest but they were all about reliability. I just dont see if as everyone going APR K04 is having issues.

arin got banned :thumbup:

now vortex needs to ban him if they havent already. i never check vortex

theres a few others from apr but they never talk

shockwaver

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GIT
So I have been reading a lot of theses forums about how bad the k04 APR tune is but correct me if i am wrong but are many people having the issue on the FSI motor only. I haven't been reading much about any TSI motors having any issue is this true.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Keith should be but he's no better.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thats dumb. Why did they ban him?
Not dumb at all. That's what happens when you come on here talking trash and lies and constantly instigating problems, advertiser or not. If anything they should be held to a higher standard. The cached link seems to be gone

So I have been reading a lot of theses forums about how bad the k04 APR tune is but correct me if i am wrong but are many people having the issue on the FSI motor only. I haven't been reading much about any TSI motors having any issue is this true.

I have seen a few here, more on mkvi forum. As I said before Apr seems to have a finite lifespan on new platforms of about 4 to 5 years before people realize what's up. Again it's sad because they do make some good products it's their attitude that's horrible. If I'm going to spend that much on parts I'll go buy MTM again their the real deal.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Update:

APR TS wasn't providing me with anyone to speak to about getting a refund... and after 1 month of troubleshooting questions they are back around to asking for my VIN again. Ugh... what is that going to tell you now that it didn't when you checked it a month ago.

I filed a complaint with the BBB.. got fed up with the wasted time.

madmortar

lalala I sing for you
Car(s)
08 GTi
Not dumb at all. That's what happens when you come on here talking trash and lies and constantly instigating problems, advertiser or not. If anything they should be held to a higher standard. The cached link seems to be gone

I have seen a few here, more on mkvi forum. As I said before Apr seems to have a finite lifespan on new platforms of about 4 to 5 years before people realize what's up. Again it's sad because they do make some good products it's their attitude that's horrible. If I'm going to spend that much on parts I'll go buy MTM again their the real deal.

I meant it was dumb of Arin. I've always been a huge fan of APR because I wanted the best stuff on my car...yet I dont know if I would buy their tune again after seeing all this negative feedback and lack of response from APR.

I ran alot of BSH parts back in the day when Phil was in the scene. They had alot of quality control issues but what always had me coming back to them was there customer service. If anyone posted an issue on here they posted up with a solution ASAP. Not sure how well they are run now adays.

This forum is not the same as it was say 3-4 years ago.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
I meant it was dumb of Arin. I've always been a huge fan of APR because I wanted the best stuff on my car...yet I dont know if I would buy their tune again after seeing all this negative feedback and lack of response from APR.

I ran alot of BSH parts back in the day when Phil was in the scene. They had alot of quality control issues but what always had me coming back to them was there customer service. If anyone posted an issue on here they posted up with a solution ASAP. Not sure how well they are run now adays.

This forum is not the same as it was say 3-4 years ago.

They are big In mkvi community now. Def not the same but Some of that is good new tuners ect

Car(s)
Subaru
They are big In mkvi community now. Def not the same but Some of that is good new tuners ect

True but the crap going on with the tsis from apr is starting to catchup. Last I heard, people were switching to uni with great success. Apr will have to start fresh with mk7s here soon

DC Dubber

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
In APR's defense, I personally haven't contacted them directly. I had been working the shop that did the install to try and resolve the issues. And they were dealing with APR. I was and still am to a certain extent hesitant to blame the tune because the changes since I went K04 have been pretty drastic in terms of how the car feels not only at WOT but also at just normal everyday driving.

While the cold starts don't really bother me that much "here's how they look" There's also a strange hunting idle that doesn't show up on the tach but you can hear it inside and outside the car, almost as if it wants to find the right RPM. My MPG went down considerably, there’s the crackling and popping from the exhaust when letting off the throttle not sure what that is exactly. More than normal excessive amounts of black soot on the exhaust tips and license plate so I'm pretty sure she’s running a little rich.

I should also note that this wasn't my DD driver up until recently so I wasn't too worried about it.

In terms of logging I live in a densely populated heavily policed urban area so it's been difficult to find a place to log properly. I got cited for some kind of silly noise ordinance trying to log once.

This past weekend I got some wrench time in and checked again for leaks at the Intercooler and turbo and everything looked kosher. Blocked off the rear PCV inlet removed the oil cap and pressurized the system and couldn't hear or see anything with soapy water. The smoke test the shops use is a hell of a lot easier. I found a place where I could log "kind of" without being arrested. Not sure about the round 4 group the misfires had gotten pretty bad by that point so I couldn't really complete them properly. I also discovered that she'll misfire in S once you get over 120mph. And just like the OP when in D mode the the tach never reaches 7000rpm I’m not sure if that’s by design or what. I never experienced any of this stuff prior to the K04. I'm no expert at reading these so I'll post them and hopefully you guys can chime in.

Here’s a video of the partial throttle hesitation. In the first clip you can actually see the misfire right @ 5400rpm. Please excuse the music and shaky video

Apr’s four rounds of logging

Last edited:

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Bit of a thread revival here, but it's been months since I've really spent more than a weekend at home.

I gapped the plugs down to .026 and this seems to have made a noticeable difference in performance. Cold starts are a good 50% better - more of a quick hesitation VS the engine nearly failing to turn over the first try. I threw it in sport mode and held in 2nd gear repeatedly, while I accelerated back and forth to redline. Not nearly as many fuel cuts and popping occurring above 5500 rpm.

I'm wondering if gapping even lower would improve it even more... maybe 0.024. I know now, from DM support and not APR, that a K04 tune should ideally be gapped for at least 0.026. So I guess that means I could test the water going a bit lower. Some (or all) Frankenturbo's are down at 0.021, I believe.

I haven't had a chance to log again, so hopefully the difference I feel equates to some improved data. Will update after I do that later this week.

I've cut my losses with APR though - useless twats. I'll keep the HPFP, but their K04 is likely getting sold off in January so I can put on an F23T. I've talked to DM and they have been really helpful answering my questions, and hella quick to respond. :thumbup:

excelon53

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Audi A3
Have you ever done a carbon cleaning? All of your issues sound like mucked up intake valves. Did you ever reflash to someone else's software?
I'm in the process of carbon clean, Runner Flap Delete, and then going United Motorsports for custom tune.
I was having misfires at cold start, and lag/fuel cuts up high 5500RPM or so.
I'll report back after all this..

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Carbon cleaning occurred at same time K04 install/tune was done.
Haven't re-flashed. Will likely try K04+ with DM in January, prior to F23T install.