GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04.. cold start sucks.. misfires.. help!

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
I am running the PFR7B's and had them gapped at .028. I dropped it down to .026 and it didn't run as well. I bumped it back to .028 and it is much happier. They are very picky cars when it comes to plug gap.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Great...

Saw this thread just as I'm gearing up to tune the crap out of my FSI. I was actually planning of going with a full APR K04 package including all APR supporting mods mainly for reliability reasons.

Having some second thoughts about going down that route now...

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
Great...

Saw this thread just as I'm gearing up to tune the crap out of my FSI. I was actually planning of going with a full APR K04 package including all APR supporting mods mainly for reliability reasons.

Having some second thoughts about going down that route now...

The popular trend and one that I can personally recommend is Driver Motorsport for tuning your ECU. There are various turbo kit options too. APR is not the only game in town anymore.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
I realize that I'm going to draw some fire for using words like mod'ing and reliability in the same thread. But, my decision of going with APR was mainly due to their long standing history and reputation for reliability if at a high cost.

I have no problem with pay2play but what I really don't want is a bunch of headaches that no one can figure out. My list is quite conservative compared a lot of folks on this forum.

APR Intake
APR Downpipe
APR HPFP
APR Intercooler
APR K04 kit

My goal is to max fun factor and reliability at the cost of performance and $$. Looks like I may have to do a bit more research.

Last edited:

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
APR makes EXCELLENT hardware... but their software is another story. I personally use a lot of APR products and ran their tune but ultimatley I wanted better customer service and flexibility with my tuning software.

The combo of APR hardware and Driver Motorsport's 2+ tune was A LOT of fun. Running modest mods like to get to a 2+ level of performance doesnt require a lot of compromise on reliability either.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
APR makes EXCELLENT hardware... but their software is another story. I personally use a lot of APR products and ran their tune but ultimatley I wanted better customer service and flexibility with my tuning software.

The combo of APR hardware and Driver Motorsport's 2+ tune was A LOT of fun. Running modest mods like to get to a 2+ level of performance doesnt require a lot of compromise on reliability either.

To add on to what this gent said, APR makes great parts but if you are looking for reliability (in terms of not having to replace a ton of parts trying to find out why your car is misfiring), look elsewhere for the software to go along with your K04. After all the nightmares I've had with APR and GIAC tuning and my K04 car misfiring, and chasing phantom hardware issues, and spending a fortune in the process, I'm so glad I finally went with Driver Motorsport because they can tune around *your* hardware and add/ subtract fuel, timing, etc. at key points to work around any idiosyncrasies your car might have.

Personally, I also think much of APR's hardware is overpriced and overrated, but it sure is good quality if you are willing to spend the money. They make arguably the best intercooler and high pressure fuel pumps in the business, but most of the other hardware needed to mod our cars can be found much cheaper through other manufacturers: BSH (hit or miss), Forge, 42 Draft Designs, SPM, CTS Turbo, etc.

Car(s)
Subaru
APR Intake NO!,
APR Downpipe :thumbsup:
APR HPFP :thumbsup:
APR Intercooler :thumbsup:
APR K04 kit :thumbsup:

id look at a cts (unless youre worried about looks, then go apr or awe). also, i would NOT go apr for the tune. cant stress that enough

heres basically what i have going on.... http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184628

good luck on whatever your decision is, but i think every dm tuned gti will tell you to go dm.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Apr only advertises their accomplishments but in all reality behind the scenes they are just as susceptible to failures as everyone else. Their ko4 is just another Warner ko4 with a modified outlet that many other companies make, and a dv attached to turbo. They make a nice turn key package if that's what you want and only use their parts.

vagike

id look at a cts (unless youre worried about looks, then go apr or awe). also, i would NOT go apr for the tune. cant stress that enough

heres basically what i have going on.... http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184628

good luck on whatever your decision is, but i think every dm tuned gti will tell you to go dm.

I've been to CTS's shop, and met with Clay Marshall

And my APR dealer built a K04 fahrenheit out of CTS parts and an autotech HPFP, and used APR software and ran a 12.5sec 1/4 mile no issues.

I had ran into some issues with my stage 2+; she wouldn't make any power and ate fuel like a 1500hp monster.
checked cam follower
replaced sensors
smoke test after smoke test
...and gained nothing.

One email to APR Tech support.....
...... replace your air filter.

"Warp 10 ------ Engage" I had full power. Even my APR dealer was stunned.

I think sometimes we, myself included, look for the most difficult solutions.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Lots of great info! Thanks Guys.

To be honest, I haven't heard much of DM until recently. However, I have no reason to doubt that some of these APR tune nightmares I've been reading about are every bit as bad as they sound. VegasGTI hit it right on the head, APR's turnkey systems seem very attractive to me even though they are mildly overpriced. The thinking being, that sticking to a known mix may minimize the likelyhood of trouble. Having said that, even going by my short list I would prefer Forge Twintake and a 42DD or Billy Boat downpipe. But would be perfectly happy to overpay as long as I'm getting value (which sounds like thats the case) and in the interest of keeping things as turnkey'ey as possible.

It seems to me that picking the right installer is critical. I'll have to see if RSWorx in NJ is a DM dealer.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
There are more than enough people here that can help you properly piece together a kit that will save you money and provide you the results you desire.

Car(s)
Subaru
I've been to CTS's shop, and met with Clay Marshall

And my APR dealer built a K04 fahrenheit out of CTS parts and an autotech HPFP, and used APR software and ran a 12.5sec 1/4 mile no issues.

I had ran into some issues with my stage 2+; she wouldn't make any power and ate fuel like a 1500hp monster.

checked cam follower

replaced sensors

smoke test after smoke test

...and gained nothing.

One email to APR Tech support.....

...... replace your air filter.

"Warp 10 ------ Engage" I had full power. Even my APR dealer was stunned.

I think sometimes we, myself included, look for the most difficult solutions.

Not saying everyone had apr problems, but a ton did. I did even on a k03.

Car(s)
Subaru
Lots of great info! Thanks Guys.

To be honest, I haven't heard much of DM until recently. However, I have no reason to doubt that some of these APR tune nightmares I've been reading about are every bit as bad as they sound. VegasGTI hit it right on the head, APR's turnkey systems seem very attractive to me even though they are mildly overpriced. The thinking being, that sticking to a known mix may minimize the likelyhood of trouble. Having said that, even going by my short list I would prefer Forge Twintake and a 42DD or Billy Boat downpipe. But would be perfectly happy to overpay as long as I'm getting value (which sounds like thats the case) and in the interest of keeping things as turnkey'ey as possible.

It seems to me that picking the right installer is critical. I'll have to see if RSWorx in NJ is a DM dealer.

You can buy a handheld flasher and flash the car yourself. It takes 15mins and is easy to do. The f23t kit is a turn key kit and you just select the options. The gaskets and hoses are free even. And in the options, dm is one of the tunes to select. http://www.frankenturbo.com/new/F23T.html

Last edited:

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
There are more than enough people here that can help you properly piece together a kit that will save you money and provide you the results you desire.

Oh most definitely! Problem is, I would feel way too guilty (and stupid) for bugging someone with stuff I can bug my installer about or research on my own. Granted, most installers won't be exactly impartial but at least they are knowledgeable (I hope!).

Bottom line, my priority list is very straight forward. Go from stock to moderate K04-FSI.

Order of importance:

1. Fun (no explanation required)
2. Reliability (still a DD so I can't go too nuts, bottom line - I would at least like to stay on well traveled/documented path.)
3. Performance (I won't track it so it doesn't have to be +/- 400hp on 100 octane, I would be quite happy with low-mid 300hp on 93 octane.)
4. Cost (willing to pay/overpay for quality)

My other problem is that I'm not as hands-on as some of you guys and would prefer to do business with a dealer that won't just do the work which in case of ECU programming sound pretty trivial but has the ability/experience to troubleshoot and fine-tune the subsequent teething issues. I was all set on RSWorx after having spoken with JR last week. But now I hear that they are NOT a DM dealer...

Oh yeah... About time I apologized for jacking the thread... Sorry OP.

vagike

Lambda of .72, or AFR of 10.5, seem a bit rich.