GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial FAQ for Big Turbo FSI owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garabins

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
Which rods do you guys recommend. Also I see all this talk about lpfp, what power levels is the stock pump good up to, and is my 450is attainable on pump or do I need w/m.

mark920

Ready to race!
Which rods do you guys recommend. Also I see all this talk about lpfp, what power levels is the stock pump good up to, and is my 450is attainable on pump or do I need w/m.

I recommend IE, I know I have seen some other people claim other types of drop in's have been of low quality, I have Tuscan rods which aren't drop in but I was extremely impressed with the quality of those...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

weijie

Ready to race!

weijie

Ready to race!
Clay can also make you custom combos if you want different/rods pistons, I did Mahle pistons/Tuscan rods.

Y Mahle pistons/Tuscan rods as oppose to JE?

mark920

Ready to race!
Y Mahle pistons/Tuscan rods as oppose to JE?

No real reason other than I have read good things about mahle and the coating on their skirt, you can also have the je pistons coated but part of it was all if these different pistons people were saying were for the fsi from je, some if them looked really flat on top I was scared to get a piston like that.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Anybody have issues with JE crown coatings producing high cyl heat temps?

I was told by IE when I inquired about drop-in rods is that drop-in's for TSI don't fit non-OEM forged pistons like JE and just worked with the OEM cast pistons. This also applied to FSI.

Going on this notion, I chose to not use drop-in rods so I didn't have to replace them if I ever upgraded the pistons. Maybe it's bullshit, I dunno. Then a shit ton of $$ later....forged JE pistons w/ crown and skirt coatings, IE H-beam (I think they are the rods for the 2.5) ...balanced everything, new bearings, seals, blah blah blah...and you know how the story ends. Given I'm not over 500 whp...yet...if I did it again I would just do the drop-in's and call it a day. Save a ton of $$ in the process. But, the car is built to handle a shit ton of power. Just waiting on pump and port and more boost.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
How are you guys doing rods without pulling the head?

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI

Yeah how are you getting the piston and rod assembly with the ring compressor tool past through the crankshaft and then how are you getting the piston around the oil squiters?

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion

I believe they just remove them from underneath the oil pan. I always wondered how they pulled the wrist pin this way. My shop didn't do this on my car but I believe others do this if pistons aren't being done.

mark920

Ready to race!
I believe they just remove them from underneath the oil pan. I always wondered how they pulled the wrist pin this way. My shop didn't do this on my car but I believe others do this if pistons aren't being done.

This sounds complicated, those must be very good techs? I would be worried that they would screw something up...

mark920

Ready to race!
Anybody have issues with JE crown coatings producing high cyl heat temps?

I was told by IE when I inquired about drop-in rods is that drop-in's for TSI don't fit non-OEM forged pistons like JE and just worked with the OEM cast pistons. This also applied to FSI.

Going on this notion, I chose to not use drop-in rods so I didn't have to replace them if I ever upgraded the pistons. Maybe it's bullshit, I dunno. Then a shit ton of $$ later....forged JE pistons w/ crown and skirt coatings, IE H-beam (I think they are the rods for the 2.5) ...balanced everything, new bearings, seals, blah blah blah...and you know how the story ends. Given I'm not over 500 whp...yet...if I did it again I would just do the drop-in's and call it a day. Save a ton of $$ in the process. But, the car is built to handle a shit ton of power. Just waiting on pump and port and more boost.

I dont remember if JE makes 19mm wrist pin pistons, but the drop in rods have 19mm wrist pin holes which is why they most likely wont work with any aftermarket pistons you purchase unless those pistons like the oem also have 19mm wrist pins, also the drop in rods taper on the end, not sure how this would affect an aftermarket piston but ultimately I wouldnt use dropins on aftermarket pistons even if it is possible to do so... I also built the bottom of my engine, but on second thought after spending tons of money I would have probably done drop in rods and called it a day as well...

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
I was under the impression drop ins where just a stronger alternative made to be used with stock pistons?

Either way, drop ins and stock pistons should handle the 450whp you're after.

Status
Not open for further replies.