GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial FAQ for Big Turbo FSI owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

18bora

Ready to race!
Why did you go with and external gate .73 housing on your car with Apr T-25 manifold ? and where able to add 10 + degrees of timing on there Motorsportn sw with still with no knock? Lower egt freeing up the hotside.

First off, that software was from a completely different car which they were nice enough to send me for Free, obviously, as is with no grantees that it would work on my car....... and with a quick tweak, it worked :biggrin:

2nd, that .73 housing setup (between all the little parts I had to buy and the individual shipping charges) cost almost twice as much as my original complete stg 3 kit... not to mention all the wait time and constant phone calls to acquire the .73

The end results with the 3076/.73 - 11.73@123mph vs. 11.7@120mph with of-the-shelf APR 2871 kit that was ordered, installed and tracked within 3 days.

.73 housing

APR 2871 kit

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
First off, that software was from a completely different car which they were nice enough to send me for Free, obviously, as is with no grantees that it would work on my car....... and with a quick tweak, it worked :biggrin:

2nd, that .73 housing setup (between all the little parts I had to buy and the individual shipping charges) cost almost twice as much as my original complete stg 3 kit... not to mention all the wait time and constant phone calls to acquire the .73

The end results with the 3076/.73 - 11.73@123mph vs. 11.7@120mph with of-the-shelf APR 2871 kit that was ordered, installed and tracked within 3 days.

.73 housing

APR 2871 kit

Let's be honest Sam Apr "1.8t kit" in stage 3 form is gt28r and there state 3+ is gt28rs. You had at the time a 1.8t audi 225 stage 3 kit they sent you that used the 2871. They later stop selling that 225 stage 3 kit because it was blowing up motors breaking rods . So to recap if you ran stage 3 28r as designed ( not pushing the boost to 26+ psi with mbc like you did ) on pump gas it was like what 250whp? And the stage 3+ with 28rs as designed was like. 285whp on pump ? Your car made those figures with a TON of work and on race fuel which lowers egt and nothing like the regular customer will receive.

passatg60

Passed Driver's Ed
Come one Sam. Lets compare apples to apples now. I set up all different types of configurations and tune them in the shop. These are not just lemminwinks type of tweaks but full on map changes. I can start with a base tune and end up tweaking it several times which results in a drastic changes in torque curve and overall power output. APR gives you a specific hardware config and software to suit. Anything that deviates from that, meaning hardware and fueling changes results in less then ideal results. A high output turbo system on restrictive hardware.... works to some extent but there are events behind the scenes that most ppl are unaware of... First off, exhaust restriction can and will lead to exhaust reversion which can only end up in the cylinders. This leads to lower detonation thresholds and compromised power output as it partially fills up areas that should only contain combustible mixtures which also drives down engine VE's.

I know that ppl are making power on these smaller systems but they are doing so at a price... And as I type this, I am recollecting that the broken ringlands were only found on an APR stage 3 car and 2x K04 equipped vehicles... hmmm.... starting to make sense.

18bora

Ready to race!
Your car made those figures with a TON of work and on race fuel which lowers egt and nothing like the regular customer will receive.

Other kits that you're trying promote without actual experience require tons of mods too.. and in realty, they will cost more at the end. <<< from personal experience. Bob, you can try you can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't fool me.

Cant we all just be friends?

We used to be! that's why he can't fool me anytime :biggrin: He tries to fool the newbs thou :lol:

18bora

Ready to race!
I know that ppl are making power on these smaller systems but they are doing so at a price... And as I type this, I am recollecting that the broken ringlands were only found on an APR stage 3 car and 2x K04 equipped vehicles... hmmm.... starting to make sense.

Are you talking about the guy who was running tap water injection/93 octane with 100 octane program? hmmm, I used to be very close friends with that guy and I know a lot more that you or he's telling everyone! :biggrin:

come at me bro, I dare you!

passatg60

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you talking about the guy who was running tap water injection/93 octane with 100 octane program? hmmm, I used to be very close friends with that guy and I know a lot more that you or he's telling everyone! :biggrin:

come at me bro, I dare you!

Haha, I have no idea of the drama that you and others throw at me. I dont care for such things. You seem to think I am hiding things for some reason but I have blinders on my friend. If you come to my shop now, you wont see the corporate type entity that is APR. I have nothing against that company although I was taken aback several years ago when they contacted me about a turbo that I was experimenting on in a custom T25 housing which I found out was less then ideal. Just a guy with equipment at his disposal trying to find better solutions, engineering parts and trying to make ppl happy. Thats it, end of story. Bob stands on his own two feet and we discuss things here and there.

I'm talking about 3 guys that were trying to extract power out of relatively small flow paths... its basic physics...

18bora

Ready to race!
I'm talking about 3 guys that were trying to extract power out of relatively small flow paths... its basic physics...

and........ maybe telling the entire story and how they were "trying to extract power out of relatively small flow paths" would shed a light on what caused the failure and benefit the community; instead of following Bob,s path of partial stories smear campaign. You're a shop owner and you should know better than that!

To the rest of the readers, sorry about the thread jack. However, we can all learn a lesson from this; don't believe everything you read on the forums. In general, people don't tell you everything you really need to know about their setups. They mostly tell the best or worst part of their experience and hid the huge (and sometime deciding factor) in the middle.

passatg60

Passed Driver's Ed
and........ maybe telling the entire story and how they were "trying to extract power out of relatively small flow paths" would shed a light on what caused the failure and benefit the community; instead of following Bob,s path of partial stories smear campaign. You're a shop owner and you should know better than that!

To the rest of the readers, sorry about the thread jack. However, we can all learn a lesson from this; don't believe everything you read on the forums. In general, people don't tell you everything you really need to know about their setups. They mostly tell the best or worst part of their experience and hid the huge (and sometime deciding factor) in the middle.

I dont really know why you are so energized by this Sam. I really dont. I guess its probably because we dont know each other. You are doing the same thing that you are telling ppl not to do. You are jumping to conclusions about me and about what is being said. What is it that I am hiding? I dont tell anyone about broken ringlands on the FSI unless there is a reason to or asked. Its not this huge conspiracy theory. I am just merely making connections on events that are taking place. Connecting dots here. I understand you stand behind APR... This is perfectly fine! If you feel like they've done right by you and that you enjoyed their products, guess what? You're a happy customer and that is ok man. Really, I have to give them a pat on that back for that. I do this for a living and there is really nothing better then a happy customer and I'm sure in many ways, that is or should be one of the primary focuses here which means you're doing your job. Stop being so defensive, especially when it comes to me as I'm all about facts and not the drama... If you think I'm pinpointing APR, you're wrong. I am making a general statement about small frame packages and big power hunting and its inherent drawbacks (whether its APR, VF, K04 frame turbos, etc etc). I wish I could wrap my hardware packages up with T25 based turbos but if you want to come to my shop to see the pile of cracked .64ar T25 housings on my shop floor, you'll see why i dont.

I'm not just a shop owner. I do have some insight to engineering components. I have housings designed and produced, compressor wheels designed and produced (kicking a$$ :)) and another 73mm one that is being produced as we speak. I also have a custom FSI upgraded injector I am working on that will hopefully make these RS4's a distant memory

Last edited:

ViRtUaLheretic

&#9581;&#8745;&#9582;&#65288;&#65078;__&#65078;&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
wtf just happened here?
Go make your own fucking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.