GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial FAQ for Big Turbo FSI owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
anyone with external gates and ebc's have issues controlling boost at onset? Its like I cant get it to "peak and hold" ...with my internal gate I would set the pressure and gate pressure. it would go to like 20.5, settle at 20 and run 20 to peak. with this external gate, I set it to say 20 set the gate to 19-20. itll hit ~20 drop to 19 then slightly rise to 21-22 all the way to redline. I cant get it to hold boost correctly. seems like it should work better than the internal gate I had before. I guess Ill have to go through the compensation adjustments on the turbosmart and try to straighten it out. grr

mark920

Ready to race!
anyone with external gates and ebc's have issues controlling boost at onset? Its like I cant get it to "peak and hold" ...with my internal gate I would set the pressure and gate pressure. it would go to like 20.5, settle at 20 and run 20 to peak. with this external gate, I set it to say 20 set the gate to 19-20. itll hit ~20 drop to 19 then slightly rise to 21-22 all the way to redline. I cant get it to hold boost correctly. seems like it should work better than the internal gate I had before. I guess Ill have to go through the compensation adjustments on the turbosmart and try to straighten it out. grr

Someone else had that issue, you have the pag parts manifold right? The person that had this similar problem contacted tial and was told it was because of the location of the waste gate in the manifold...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

theguy1084

Ready to race!
Someone else had that issue, you have the pag parts manifold right? The person that had this similar problem contacted tial and was told it was because of the location of the waste gate in the manifold...

No my issue was that with a 1bar spring I was hitting 19psi.

mark920

Ready to race!
No my issue was that with a 1bar spring I was hitting 19psi.

Oh well I couldn't remember what your issue exactly was, but I knew it was boost and wastegate related, its kinda similar isn't it? Could it be that the position if the waste gate is also affecting his ability to hold consistent boost? I dunno I am just guessing they maybe related somehow...

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
My ebc has a gain adjustment and if it's set too high you will have unstable boost.

Your gain should be your peak boost point.

I thought maybe my wg spring was to "low" or something but my gain is set about the same as it was before with the internal gate and it makes about the same boost.

the turbosmart has a setting for creep or drop off so ill mess with that and see how it reacts. Just seems like i shouldn't have to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

theguy1084

Ready to race!
Your gain should be your peak boost point.

I thought maybe my wg spring was to "low" or something but my gain is set about the same as it was before with the internal gate and it makes about the same boost.

the turbosmart has a setting for creep or drop off so ill mess with that and see how it reacts. Just seems like i shouldn't have to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

This is what my manual says about gain

Gain
Gain effects how quickly the turbo comes on boost. Ideally this would be set as high as possible; however, if this is set too high overshooting and boost instability can occur so there will be an ideal setting for this that will be different from vehicle to vehicle.

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
This is what my manual says about gain

Gain
Gain effects how quickly the turbo comes on boost. Ideally this would be set as high as possible; however, if this is set too high overshooting and boost instability can occur so there will be an ideal setting for this that will be different from vehicle to vehicle.

and this is why I shouldn't type anything 2 minutes after I roll out of bed. :biggrin:

but yeah. Ill mess around with that too.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
and this is why I shouldn't type anything 2 minutes after I roll out of bed. :biggrin:

I think you are sorta right for turbosmart logic. The Turbosmart Estreet boost controller has "SP" which is duty cycle or where you adjust pressure levels, then "GP" That is gate pressure or when the gate starts opening, then there is "SL" Turbosmart calls it sensitivity, this were you can adjust the time period between the "on and off" cycle. Sensitivity maybe compareable to gain.

mark920

Ready to race!

This is specific to the boost controller you guys are using right? Because my boost manager plus module doesn't have anything related to gain in the instructions....

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI

as stated before I have the eboost Street version. My settings are
SP= 90 Which equals about 30-32 psi on my setup
GP=20 I have gate pressure higher than actaul wastegate spring to help spool up the big turbo
SL= 12 (Mrbikle's is at 4-6, because of different wastegate designs. He uses a Tial MVS with 14 psi spring and use a ForgeMotorsports 40mm with 12 psi spring)

The Sl or sensitivity adjustment plays a big role in boost flux.

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
This is specific to the boost controller you guys are using right? Because my boost manager plus module doesn't have anything related to gain in the instructions....

most ebc's are gonna have SP, GP and SI(SN)

as stated before I have the eboost Street version. My settings are
SP= 90 Which equals about 30-32 psi on my setup
GP=20 I have gate pressure higher than actaul wastegate spring to help spool up the big turbo
SL= 12 (Mrbikle's is at 4-6, because of different wastegate designs. He uses a Tial MVS with 14 psi spring and use a ForgeMotorsports 40mm with 12 psi spring)

The Sl or sensitivity adjustment plays a big role in boost flux.

maybe I have my GP set too high then. WIth yours set at 20 it doesn't spool slow from 20 to 30? I was thinking this should be set just slightly under your peak presssure? Ill be around with it more this weekend.

TMS, Im sure you saw my emails :-D

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
most ebc's are gonna have SP, GP and SI(SN)

maybe I have my GP set too high then. WIth yours set at 20 it doesn't spool slow from 20 to 30? I was thinking this should be set just slightly under your peak presssure? Ill be around with it more this weekend.

TMS, Im sure you saw my emails :-D

My manaul saids GP should equal spring pressure or for better spool use a higher valve, but could cause boost spike. No Our turbos don't spool slow from 20psi to 30 psi. as soon as turbo hits about 18 psi, it really start to spool. the gauge slams over to 30+ psi actaully..lol On the Street its takes about 5000 rpms to hit 20-21 psi though

Yeah i got your e-mails, It might take couple days for me to respond. Just mad busy. 10 hour days at my work, then Matt and I are not only busy with our cars, but we have 1.8t swap going on, So I am busy building the engine for that car, now I have Ford 331 engine I going to build. Also I have audi A4 and MK4 1.8t's with PTE 6262's I am starting to tune.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.