GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning My Intake Valves (Semi DIY)

Zach L

VR junkie
did you not read this thread?

Yes, and I've posted in it many times. I believe part of Staulker's buildup that occured AFTER the valve cleaning could have been avoided.

When he cleaned the valves the first time, there was nothing mentioned about him cleaning out the intercooler/charge pipes. When I clean valves on cars, I try to clean these parts as best I can. Sometimes you'll pull the hoses and oil/sludge will pour out. This mess comes not from the front PCV port, but the stuff that traveled out the rear port and into the intake pre-turbo, then all the way through this system. Of course much of it is condensing/evaporating as the engine cools/heats. Of course he wasn't adding to this once the VTA can was installed, but the supply could have gradually been evaporating off over thousands of miles, sticking to those valves.

MKVMONTEGO

Passed Driver's Ed
car cleaning tool

I work for a Audi service department. You guys are all gonna laugh when you hear about the tool that Audi recommends you use to clean the throttle and guess waht its home made.

you will need
32 zip ties ( mediaum about 6-8 inch long)
and duck tape.

take 30 zip ties all facing same way bunch them together and zip them together with the 2 left over zip ties. Then wrap the side with the clamp type end with duck tape. and use the loose end with brakleen to get all the carbon out. Seems pretty weird but email me dannyf0503@gmail.com and ill send you picture of what it actually looks like....

hope this helped...........

Zach L

VR junkie
I work for a Audi service department. You guys are all gonna laugh when you hear about the tool that Audi recommends you use to clean the throttle and guess waht its home made.

you will need
and duck tape.

take 30 zip ties all facing same way bunch them together and zip them together with the 2 left over zip ties. Then wrap the side with the clamp type end with duck tape. and use the loose end with brakleen to get all the carbon out. Seems pretty weird but email me dannyf0503@gmail.com and ill send you picture of what it actually looks like....

This is great!

I've actually used pipe cleaners, a modified lug nut/bolt cleaner, and.or craftsman metal picks/hook set... accompanied with compressed air and B12 Chemtool.

Glad to hear there's a "professional" tool recommended lol. Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

Dennis Moeller

Passed Driver's Ed
Great write up, I'll definately have a go at this! Cheers. I have the 140 hp 1.4TSI Twincharger but there's probably the same buildup in my engine. I remapped it too so that won't help prevent buildup :)

About cleaning the "backside" of the body throttle flap which I'll bet will be clogged up with black stuff too.. and cause f. ex. rough idle. Can't you turn on the ignition and press down the gas pedal and keep it down while you switch of the ignition and remove the key. I believed I did that one time on my S3 8L because I didn't wanted to mess with the flap motor.. The flap was open and easy to clean.. Different engine on the S3 etc, so if I'm way out then just forget this tip :wink:

Edit: or get someone to press down the gas pedal with the ignition on and then unplug the throttle body..? Nah, maybe not??

Last edited:

tylerandreas

Banned
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
What about a wire brush when cleaning the plates? Will they scratch it up to much, or will they be fine? And seriously, hook us up with the zip tie stuff.

Car(s)
2008 GTI

you will need
and duck tape.

I have to see a picture of this.