GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Devil's Own Direct Port Water Meth Injection (And some gold)

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
did the manifold come pretapped with nozzles attached? or did you do that yourself

Spent a good 20 hours doing it myself. Now, if you wanted to just get rid of all the strengthening ribs you could have done it faster with a belt sander or something. I used a dremel to remove only those where the nozzle would go, and only to a point where I could fit the nozzles in. I then used sand paper to sand it to an almost polished surface. I started at 150 grit and ended at 3000 grit if I am not mistaken.

Here are some pics of the modificaiton:

I drove it all day today basically, roughly 150 miles, and it pulls very strong in 93 octane mode. I have yet to run it in 100 octane mode though because I want to make sure I have no boost leaks or any issues with the installation before I start trying for more power. But, in 93 mode it does bring a smile to my face like it did when I first got the chip.

Also, the header wrapping and gold wrapping the intake changed the noise of my BSH intake. The "whistle" or "rake" is still there, but it is more concentrated at the front. Also, the DV noise is very concentrated at the front by the filter. It's as if the old pipe without the wrapping was vibrating (the entire thing) and took some of that sound energy out of the system. Maybe this is a placebo effect or something though since I haven't driven my car in a week.

boki

Ready to race!
Looks great man...can't wait to hear impressions with the 100 oct. program on. I'd like to do the same set up on my car-is the manifold the same for the 09 TSI's? What do you estimate the cost would be for the whole set up?

And for the gold tape - I saw that on JonnyC's ED30 build thread - looks sick (where did you get the tape, I looked on line and don't know which one is the most suitable for the application and how much was it). First time I saw similar thing was with McLaren F1 supercar where they applied the gold foil throughout the engine bay - aside for dissipating heat the fastest it looked amazing.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
It looks very nice and very clean. I actually was thinking about doing a clean setup like this on my own vehicle just the other night and came up with a theory. I may discuss it with the engineers here on monday. Anyways ignition timing will vary dependent upon the incoming intake air temperature. The IAT sensor, located before your w/m setup, will see hot air entering the intake. Based on several things, including the temperature of this air, the ECU will alter your timing advance. Part of the advantage to w/m is the cooler charge air temperatures. Because the ECU will be unable to read the charge air temp as cooler since the sensor is located before your w/m nozzles, you may not see the greatest gain.

Hey Arin,

I've been hoping to get some insight from the tuners on exactly that issue, that is the importance of IAT readings on timing advance and the like. I was actually thinking of relocating the IAT sensor to a location where it might have some more latency and using the stock location to mount a meth nozzle.

More info here: http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95415

Sorry to threadjack, OP

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
The nozzles are D0.75 in the manifold. I do have a 5th on, D03, post IC but you shouldn't be able to tell that based on the pic.

I figured you must have a fifth nozzle because you have 6 taps on your methanol manifold, one for pressure from the pump, 4 for the manifold, and a mystery 5th that goes to your throttle pipe. Hmmm.... :thumbsup:

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Looks great man...can't wait to hear impressions with the 100 oct. program on. I'd like to do the same set up on my car-is the manifold the same for the 09 TSI's? What do you estimate the cost would be for the whole set up?

And for the gold tape - I saw that on JonnyC's ED30 build thread - looks sick (where did you get the tape, I looked on line and don't know which one is the most suitable for the application and how much was it). First time I saw similar thing was with McLaren F1 supercar where they applied the gold foil throughout the engine bay - aside for dissipating heat the fastest it looked amazing.

I believe it is the same as the TSI, but one of the vacuum ports is not used (its there, just not open). The cost for the whole setup (exactly what I have):

DO Stage 2 Progressive Kit: $342.00
4 port direct port kit: $62.50
2 Tee fittings: $19.33
4 D0.75 Nozzles: $80
2nd Straight M fitting for Direct port block: $5.15

Then whatever the manifold cost is, and how much time/effort you put into it. I bought a new one from 1stvwparts.com for about 175 bucks (don't know off the top of my head) so I didn't have a ton of downtime modifying the old manifold and reinstalling. There are also some costs here and there like the sandpaper to smooth it out, the dremel if you didn't have it already, the drill bits and 1/8" NPT tap. Just make sure you have everything before you start...I had to go out and buy a drill bit set and a tap and die set...so that was an addition 100 bucks that I didn't need to spend but now I have more tools.

Sorry to threadjack, OP

Not a problem, I am curious as to the Tuner's opinions on IAT's as well! :thumbsup:

I figured you must have a fifth nozzle because you have 6 taps on your methanol manifold, one for pressure from the pump, 4 for the manifold, and a mystery 5th that goes to your throttle pipe. Hmmm.... :thumbsup:

Yup, but like I said, 2 are for pressure from the pump, the outside two. Right after the pump I have a tee. One goes to my post iC nozzle (the DO3). Then a line runs up just under the direct port block. It tees and goes to either side of the direct port block. The check valve is right before this tee (I didnt want to buy 4 check valves, one for each nozzle, because I am cheap...lol, if I need to in the future, I will, but for now it seems to be working well).

I will try to run some logs today in 93 octane on my way to/from Ohio and post then up later tonight!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Like I said above, I did place a nozzle upstream so that the IAT sensor could pick it up and advance timing :).!

Ah, I missed that. Excellent work. I'm really excited to see how it works out for you. :thumbsup:

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Looking foreward to the logs man! I just picked up a refill on my meth finally as well!

WOO! Finally, been waiting to see your logs with meth!

where u buy the gold wrap?

Summitracing.com

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Design-Engineering-DEI/Part-Type/Heat-Tape/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Ah, I missed that. Excellent work. I'm really excited to see how it works out for you. :thumbsup:

No problem :thumbsup:

While driving through Toledo this morning I floored it in third to get around someone cause they were upsetting me and the traction nanny yelled at me! I typically don't break the tires loose in 3rd unless I do a WOT shift from 2nd and just chirp third. Definitely more power then I had before :biggrin:

My 7.5 year old HP laptop finally took a true dump on me. For the past 3 years I have been running without a battery because it would cause the computer to randomly crash. Don't know why, it just happened. So for logging I bought a 400W 4 amp power inverter to run it because the power supply said it only drew 3.3 amps. Now the power inverter doesn't have enough power to keep her running and when I plug it into the wall at home the dang thing gets so hot that I can't even let it sit on my lap or it will burn me so it looks like I will have to go out and buy a data logging laptop :frown: or just use my work laptop. Logs will be up soon though, I promise!

SDM

Ready to race!
Looking forward to your logs, nice work !!

Question for you w/m gurus:

>Do we need max w/m flow at peak boost or at peak rpm with our KO3's ?

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Im not a guru, but I set mine to start at 5PSI and be full at 10PSI so that it will be full on at peak boost and all the way till redline.

SDM

Ready to race!
Im not a guru, but I set mine to start at 5PSI and be full at 10PSI so that it will be full on at peak boost and all the way till redline.

Just playing around with some ideas here:

Since the KO3 spools so quickly & there is very little time between 5psi & 10psi on the ramp-up, surely the controller could be discarded and replaced by one adjustable Devil's Own 'boost sensor' switch set at 5psi. Upon reaching 5psi the normally-open contacts will close and 12V is fed through to drive the pump and turn on the solenoid?