GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Devil's Own Direct Port Water Meth Injection (And some gold)

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
I know I have been hinting and/or telling people about this for the past month or so...but I finally got everything lined up and figured out and began removal/installation this past week. Took 4 days after work to remove, clean the valves/runners, swap all the parts from one manifold to the other, reinstall, gold wrap my heatshield, header wrap and gold wrap my intake (every degree that the intake air doesn't heat up helps IMO), put the bumper back on, and test drive her :)happyanim:).

I only have logs after finishing and letting the car warm up for 10 minutes in 93 octane mode, so no adaption, but I will be slowly adding more logs in different conditions (i.e. different settings on the DO controller, different octane in the APR 100 octane mode, different ambient conditions since last night it was at 100% humidity and raining...etc). I will also be going back to the dyno soon and will report pre/post results of water/meth as well.

I probably will not have any more information this weekend because I have a wedding and a family reunion to go to, but hopefully these pictures will satisfy everyone until next week when I get some more logging done.

Pre Install pictures, all nasty in there:

Can't see the valves, but they had less than 0.5mm buildup I would estimate, the best I have seen so far for a car with 45k miles. I HIGHLY recommend running different oil then the Castrol (I run Mobil 1 0W40) and at least once a week running it on the highway at above 3k rpms (so about 70 mph in 5th gear) for 20 minutes. I read this in the VW patent and apparently it helped out in my situation:

Dirty Guides:barf::

Clean Guides :biggrin::

Direct Port Manifold:

Direct Port Manifold and stock Manifold getting to know each other:

New setup and intake/heatshield with gold pics with my crappy camera (will use the SLR to get better ones soon enough):

Special thanks to:

Chance@Devil's Own for the awesome technical support, if you haven't had an opportunity to work with Chance, he is a great guy and a big help. Devil's Own is just a small company trying to keep their head's above water with the like's of Snow Performance and others. They rarely have the opportunity to spend 10's of thousands of dollars in advertising, so this is my ad for them. If you want the same results as a Snow Performance kit at a lower price, with IMO more physical functionality (come on, I have a direct port block to feed each runner, I didn't see that at Snow's website, but I didn't look hard either, my mind was set on Devil's Own), go with Devil's Own! You will not regret it!:happyanim:

BSH Speedshop for drop shipping the kit since they didn't have it in stock and I was impatient! Another excellent company, but who on here doesn't know that already? :thumbsup:

Lyon Racing (and the driver's wife) and "the roommate" for letting me use their garage and helping with the install and forcing his wife to leave her car (the pumpkin mobile...:lol:) outside in the rain all week while I goofed off on my car, I owe you Mel!:bow:

Last edited:

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I have been highly anticipating this project. I know you will document everything very well and I look forward to checking out your logs and results from the dyno. :thumbsup:

-Subscribed!!

Ninja Edit, you didn't happen to run logs to demonstrate the difference between the stock intake and wrapping it with the gold insulator didya?

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Not bad. Personally I would cut those lines to length so they're not all over the place like that. What size nozzles are you using in the manifold?

Looks like you've got a 5th nozzle somewhere? Where is that? What size?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
It looks very nice and very clean. I actually was thinking about doing a clean setup like this on my own vehicle just the other night and came up with a theory. I may discuss it with the engineers here on monday. Anyways ignition timing will vary dependent upon the incoming intake air temperature. The IAT sensor, located before your w/m setup, will see hot air entering the intake. Based on several things, including the temperature of this air, the ECU will alter your timing advance. Part of the advantage to w/m is the cooler charge air temperatures. Because the ECU will be unable to read the charge air temp as cooler since the sensor is located before your w/m nozzles, you may not see the greatest gain.

An interesting test would be to try a post IAT sensor w/m nozzle setup and pre IAT sensor w/m nozzle setup under the same environmental settings (heat, humidity, altitude, pressure, etc). Ensure you are working with the same starting intake air temps, coolant temps, etc and 93 octane tune. Log timing advance with both. See which achieves more timing.

Now, I could be totally wrong on this one so I'd like to see some testing. :)

boki

Ready to race!
^^^Now guys, this might be a bit to far off but what if there was a 5th nozzle, like really small one pre IAT sensor, would that be doable and beneficial? Great work man, can't wait to see results...I'm thinking about getting DO myself (might even go your route too - looks sick). Good luck with the setup. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

VBMikeP

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 door GTI
Special thanks to:

Chance@Devil's Own for the awesome technical support, if you haven't had an opportunity to work with Chance, he is a great guy and a big help. Devil's Own is just a small company trying to keep their head's above water with the like's of Snow Performance and others. They rarely have the opportunity to spend 10's of thousands of dollars in advertising, so this is my ad for them. If you want the same results as a Snow Performance kit at a lower price, with IMO more physical functionality (come on, I have a direct port block to feed each runner, I didn't see that at Snow's website, but I didn't look hard either, my mind was set on Devil's Own), go with Devil's Own! You will not regret it!:happyanim:

x2 Chance is definitely a good guy.

Your valves look to be in about the same shape as mine were when I pulled off my manifold. I can't wait to see some data.

Hopefully I'll get the shots up soon that I mentioned to you of my valves. I've been moving and getting ready for school and haven't had a chance to edit them.

interesting set up. this will help with keeping your intake valves clean.
Btw, on the side note.. do anyone ever use W/M on a stg 1 car? I'd be interested in doing this on my car to help keep it clean, and not for power, though it would probably improve my power a bit.

where is ur w/m tank??

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
not familiar with the intake manifold on the 2.0T but why did you tap the plenum and not lower down on the runners

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
That looks awesome man... very clean!

That vacuum manifold block you have there looks similar to the 42dd product:

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
I have been highly anticipating this project. I know you will document everything very well and I look forward to checking out your logs and results from the dyno. :thumbsup:

-Subscribed!!

Ninja Edit, you didn't happen to run logs to demonstrate the difference between the stock intake and wrapping it with the gold insulator didya?

I do have pre-logs (basically my post BSH intercooler logs). I will see if there is any difference and post it up.

Not bad. Personally I would cut those lines to length so they're not all over the place like that. What size nozzles are you using in the manifold?

Looks like you've got a 5th nozzle somewhere? Where is that? What size?

I only used the longer lines because I wanted the meth to hit the nozzles at the same time. Then come to think of it, after the original spray, the meth should just be waiting there based on having my check valves in place...so I will clean it up a bit soon.

The nozzles are D0.75 in the manifold. I do have a 5th on, D03, post IC but you shouldn't be able to tell that based on the pic. The reason the direct port block has to lines running into it is because I "tee-ed" the incoming line to get equal distribution side to side.

It looks very nice and very clean. I actually was thinking about doing a clean setup like this on my own vehicle just the other night and came up with a theory. I may discuss it with the engineers here on monday. Anyways ignition timing will vary dependent upon the incoming intake air temperature. The IAT sensor, located before your w/m setup, will see hot air entering the intake. Based on several things, including the temperature of this air, the ECU will alter your timing advance. Part of the advantage to w/m is the cooler charge air temperatures. Because the ECU will be unable to read the charge air temp as cooler since the sensor is located before your w/m nozzles, you may not see the greatest gain.

An interesting test would be to try a post IAT sensor w/m nozzle setup and pre IAT sensor w/m nozzle setup under the same environmental settings (heat, humidity, altitude, pressure, etc). Ensure you are working with the same starting intake air temps, coolant temps, etc and 93 octane tune. Log timing advance with both. See which achieves more timing.

Now, I could be totally wrong on this one so I'd like to see some testing. :)

Thanks for the kind words Arin. Like I said above, I did place a nozzle upstream so that the IAT sensor could pick it up and advance timing :). I also want to check with DO to see if I could potentially remove the incoming line (from the meth tank) when it comes time to do a manifold cleaning service and pump sea foam through the nozzles. I think that would work awesome!

interesting set up. this will help with keeping your intake valves clean.
Btw, on the side note.. do anyone ever use W/M on a stg 1 car? I'd be interested in doing this on my car to help keep it clean, and not for power, though it would probably improve my power a bit.

where is ur w/m tank??

W/M tank is my windshield washer reservoir, but I am drawing up plans for a trunk mounted one. Basically removing the foam from the driver's side where the spar is mounted and making that whole area one huge tank.

not familiar with the intake manifold on the 2.0T but why did you tap the plenum and not lower down on the runners

I tapped it there because there is a fuel line and two vacuum lines (I believe they are for EVAP canister) the run across the top of the plenum. I searched and searched for a better location, but that was the only spot that had the clearance needed.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and I will continue to update as information becomes available!

BTW, when the info does come in, if it looks promising, I will sell my stock intake manifold (either stock or modified the way I did here) to whoever wants. Just something for you all to think about!

Off to see District 9 now with the lady!