V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Nice, im just below 40k.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
I just took off the compressor housing on my stock k03. Surprisingly, it is only held on by 4 bolts with a pretty low torque on them. I didnt expect that :p

There is some minor damage on the blades. Also, it appears there are some BURRS left from machining or more likely just damage. Can somebody who knows this turbo inside and out confirm this?! I also spotted a casting mistake.

Also, when I spin the wheels, there is a slight grinding noise. Something in the bearing maybe?

Below are 3 images. One has color coded circles to show you points of interest. The second is the same image without the circles. Third is the exhaust turbine. No damage, but discolored.

Here is the color code info:

Blue --> casting mistake
Green --> slight upturn on the tip of the fin
Red --> scraped fin. No damage found on housing.
Yellow --> possible burrs left from machining or just damage. very rough and sharp. this is very hard to photograph

CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE

ChronicTeutonic

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI, S4 Avant
Wow...you narrowly missed a visit from Turbo Lady on that one. The grinding is the early sign of bearing failure. I would think those compressor vanes were damaged by the housing when the bearing started to go out of tolerance.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Oh yea, forgot to mention that there is maybe 0.5mm or smaller amount of play in the shaft. It is a very very small amount. It also spins freely and with very little resistance. But it doesnt spin on its own for that long.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I hope my turbo doesn't look like that lol. Well, it'd be an excuse to go K04 or bigger, but yeah...

Shazsta

Dirt
Well the car is almost finished! Im going to be there at 5 to pick it up.

Apparently I forgot 2 parts >.< The intake manifold gasket and the injector service kit (comes with new retainer clips and o-rings). I will get the part numbers and update the list when I get the info.

intake manifold gasket - 06F 129 717 D $20.71

injector install kit (x4) - 06D 998 907 $10.20 (x4)

(1st VWparts price)

how much was total install? 640? it was ~8 hrs?

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Yea, I got my tune. I am putting a larger w/m nozzle on tomorrow at a club bbq. Ive just been busy with class past few days. Big chem test today :/

I am still logging and tuning and finding some revo settings my car likes.

I am quite pleased with the k04 and more will come soon :thumbsup:

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Runs great! Raced a VR6 12v corrado with a T3/T4 60 trim turbo and was ahead (he was just at my bumper) until about 100mph and then he just came out of nowhere and went right past me, haha

Not bad for a still tiny turbo!

I am still dialing in the boost.

lancGTI

www.oli.org
Car(s)
2006 GTI
It does run great, I can vouch for that! Thanks for the D70 & the ride Alex, both were kick ass!

Car(s)
08 UG GTi
Damn Alex i didnt know that you already installed it!!!!@!!! If i just didnt check the golfmkv thread i would never of known.... Updated our forum lol with your info...

I bet you love it dont you?! Are you going to be at the meet this weekend? i should be, i need a test drive. :thumbup: