GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Time -- Build up/info thread :D

gtiiiiiiii

Driver for Hire
Car(s)
MKV GTi
My "kit" is is the cheapest you can find...PERIOD. I am going to be paying $2023.55 in parts, $200 for software, $640ish for labor (verifying this tomorrow). I dare you to find a kit cheaper.

The APR kit is one of the most expensive K04 kits there is! Its very nice and has APR quality, but I just dont like APR's philosophy, nothing personal guys, but I am cheap, haha :wink:

As for Eurojet, I dont like their products at all. They are cheap and break and their QC is crap. No way in hell I am going to trust a turbo from them.

Oh, and I have 36,5xx miles. Bought it may 5, 2007.
That's not a correct price estimate though if you think about it, lol.
You had to buy the HPFP rebuild from KMD, plus the original chip tune from Revo.
So total price is over 3000 easily. 1000 for tuning total plus however much for KMD hpfp rebuild.
You can not go from stock to k04 with what you purchased and run it successfully ;) This doesn't include the exhaust, because no kit comes with that or an intake after all, but still.
I'm not trying to be difficult here, just making sure the price includes everything you had to buy =D

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah it was cheaper because he had a lot of the supporting stuff already.

But nonetheless, it's still cheaper than most other K04 kits out there.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Yeah it was cheaper because he had a lot of the supporting stuff already.

But nonetheless, it's still cheaper than most other K04 kits out there.

Correction...cheaper than ALL k04 kits. Mine is the cheapest. Find me one that is cheaper :thumbsup:

And saying that I already had supporting mods is just splitting hairs. No kit comes with a FULL kit to go from stock to k04 with all the goodies. Hell the APR stage 3 kit doesnt come with most of the supporting mods needed to get it maxed out. It is assumed that the type of person to upgrade a turbo will already have these mods or was looking at buying them anyways.

My KMD pump was $275, I did the install. My exhaust was $1250 and Induktion did the install for $120. My intake was cheeaaappp and I did the install. W/M was $425 and I did the install...you get my point. I did the install on everything except TBE, injectors, and K04. Sure, I could add all the money I have spend on my car, but that would just scare the living shit out of me :bellyroll:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
lol, agreed on the last part. I haven't calculated in awhile, but it was well over 3k last time I checked. Probably 4+ now.:yikes:

Edit:

Holy shit that made me cringe. A rough estimate with all the stuff in my signature and it came out to $5630. Probably more because I didn't consider the DIY stuff such as painting the steelies ($30), the emblems, etc.

Wow. I should've just kept my car bone stock and gotten a Stg 3 kit.:lol:

gtiiiiiiii

Driver for Hire
Car(s)
MKV GTi
Correction...cheaper than ALL k04 kits. Mine is the cheapest. Find me one that is cheaper :thumbsup:

And saying that I already had supporting mods is just splitting hairs. No kit comes with a FULL kit to go from stock to k04 with all the goodies. Hell the APR stage 3 kit doesnt come with most of the supporting mods needed to get it maxed out. It is assumed that the type of person to upgrade a turbo will already have these mods or was looking at buying them anyways.

My KMD pump was $275, I did the install. My exhaust was $1250 and Induktion did the install for $120. My intake was cheeaaappp and I did the install. W/M was $425 and I did the install...you get my point. I did the install on everything except TBE, injectors, and K04. Sure, I could add all the money I have spend on my car, but that would just scare the living shit out of me :bellyroll:

Haha same here about adding it up. I've had two different software tunes, two different exhaust, two different intakes, new wheels, suspension, brake pads + fluid, rsb, and the k04 kit. Ouch!

If I told you how much I paid for my complete kit + intake + exhaust + free labor though, you'd be sorely jealous ;)
So, I did find a kit that costs less, but that is because they developed the 06 software on my car, not because the kit was cheap per say lol.
No kit comes with everything you need, true. But the software and hpfp should be included still.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Being a sponsor or development car doesnt count! :rolleyes: :wink:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I don't know whats worse looking at the mod $'s allready spent on the car.

Or the $ left to be spent still.

lmao. For me it's probably the latter because when I do end up going with a 3071 in a couple/few years, I'll be looking at ~$1200 for a South Bend Stg 3 clutch, limited slip diff, ~$1000 for a intercooler, the HPFP, rods, etc etc.

gtiiiiiiii

Driver for Hire
Car(s)
MKV GTi
Being a sponsor or development car doesnt count! :rolleyes: :wink:

lol yeah I know. Honestly if I hadn't have gotten that deal I probably would have ended up with the KMD kit because it was more affordable or tried to piece together my own kit like you did and done the labor myself.
I wanted the APR kit more than the KMD, but money wise the APR kit was not cheap heh.

utekineir

Banned
lmao. For me it's probably the latter because when I do end up going with a 3071 in a couple/few years, I'll be looking at ~$1200 for a South Bend Stg 3 clutch, limited slip diff, ~$1000 for a intercooler, the HPFP, rods, etc etc.

Yeah, same, except i'm waiting to get my swaybar to decide if i can live with sinking bt money into fwd or not.

This is one of the rare cars I fit well in (6'4 ish), plus its so practical cargo and mpg wise. There's always the weekend car option, but between a dog and other randomness it basically would just stay parked.

I really like the gti but.... fwd.

Car(s)
08 UG GTi
Just in time alex for the days to start getting nice again and the tracks being open :thumbup:

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Yeah, just two weekends ago I started adding all my mods up, the things I bought and resold, then the new stuff, and I was amazed that I could buy a brand new G37 with the money I spent. Not that its a better car (I love my GTI), but its sweet nonetheless. Modding is an addiction...we should have some sort of AA for this...

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah, same, except i'm waiting to get my swaybar to decide if i can live with sinking bt money into fwd or not.

This is one of the rare cars I fit well in (6'4 ish), plus its so practical cargo and mpg wise. There's always the weekend car option, but between a dog and other randomness it basically would just stay parked.

I really like the gti but.... fwd.

Yeah I wish I knew the "at the limit" handling with the stock swaybar. Hell, the stock suspension too. I already had my 24mm H&R RSB and the cupkit when I did my first autox. All I can tell you is that it's a pretty damn capable chassis and the rear end does come out but it's controllable. It still understeers but then you just control how much you want it to with the gas pedal. I've beaten STI's and tuned WRX's at the track with them having good tires. Hell, same with S2000's; seems like those would seem better on a road course unless you really know how to control them (i.e. power oversteer). I've even beaten a Mk4 R32 on the same Hankook tires I have and the guy has been autox'ing for years. Last year was my first season.

But yeah, I hear you on the AWD part. That's why I get upset everytime I drive my friend's Mk4 R32. Honestly, if your GTI is a 6MT and you want an AWD car that you can fit into with decent mileage and trunk/hatch space, the Mk4 R32 is hard to beat. Yeah it takes more money to make big power out of, but my friend's R32 has a GIAC chip, intake, flapper mod with resonator delete, VF dogbone mount, and a short shifter and his car is just as fast as mine from a roll, if not faster.

If you have DSG and don't want to give that up, the MkV R32 is really nice too. I was opposed to it originally because of how similar it is to the MkV GTI's, but after being in my friend's dad's, it's grown on me. (Yes, his son drives a Mk4, his dad a stock MkV). Even those are really capable; at autox he was only a second behind me bone stock as mentioned on all season tires lol.

But yeah, sorry to ramble on. Unfortunetely you have to spend big money to turbocharge them. But you have to do the same with the GTI's to BT them properly (supporting mods).