GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperSkyline89's Timeline

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Thanks ghost. I have almost 500 pictures of my car and sometimes I just go through them to see how much it's changed in the four years I've owned it. I didn't modify it at all in the first year but the last three have been kinda crazy. The next five will be even crazier though!

And ya, you're right about the headrests. They stick just half an inch too far for my comfort so I always flip them when I'm wearing a helmet. I don't like the feeling of something touching the back of my head or helmet unless I lean it back on purpose.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I haven't posted in a pretty long time. I haven't really done anything new to the car aside from go to a couple more track days. Aside from that I've been super busy with photography and I'm getting heavily involved in a local car club so I just haven't had any spare time.

I did one last track day at Mosport DDT. The weather was a bit crazy, it rained and dried up a few times and then the sun came out and it was like it never rained to begin with. I ended up boiling my brake fluid and getting weird engagement laterally going into corners and setting off the stability control. I took the front wheels off to bleed the calipers and it helped a lot but three of my wheels studs came off as I was taking the nuts off. I got it all back together and drove one more session before calling it a day. A friend took these pictures as I was working between sessions

I took these pictures a month or so ago while out with the club.

I've never really done any serious night photography but we had a meet a few weeks ago and I tried it out. A friend had a spare tripod so I got this at a one second exposure. I need to do more night stuff.

I took these ones at a photoshoot we did a couple weeks ago.

Last weekend I did my last track day of the season. The VW club I'm part of was hosting a three hour event at a track called Shannonville (near Kingston, between Toronto and Ottawa) and I've never been there before so I signed up right away. They had some instructors there to ride with us and the guy that was with me had done 2000km on that track this year alone. Having him ride with me was so awesome I stayed on the track for an hour straight. Around twenty minutes before the event ended I got off the track to use the washroom but when I got back to my car it wouldn't start. Turns out my starter died so I got a bump start from a few of the other members and decided it was as good a time as any to just put it away for the winter. I'll get it towed to my mechanic in the spring and get it fixed then.

Later that night I took this picture in the garage with the only light streaming in through the garage door windows.

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
It's been a while since I've been around. I've completely ignored my car since I put it away for the winter but now that the weather is starting to warm up I've started preparing for the season.

I was thinking I needed to buy new tires but having had a chance to look at them close up I decided it isn't necessary. Since I'm keeping them I decided to do something I've wanted to do for a while, I bought rubber tire letters. They're the permanent kind that you have to apply using special glue designed to fuse rubber together. I bought eight sets of stickers but only ended up using four because I decided two sets per tire would be too much.

Prepping the tires was an interesting experience. You have to strip off all the oil to give the glue a good surface to work with. I used AMMO AP Cleaner to clean the backs of the rubber letters and Auto Glym Engine Cleaner to degrease the areas of the tires I was going to stick them to. You have to clean the tire until you don't get any brown oil residue coming off. I was really unsure of what I was doing on the first tire because it felt wrong to be degreasing a tire and the residue just kept coming but once it stopped I blew through the others in no time.

I'm really happy with how they turned out. My fat sidewall definitely helps the look. Can't wait to see them on the car.

Two weeks ago I ordered my first parts for the season. When my stock engine cover came loose at Shannonville back in October one of the grommets that holds it in fell out somewhere on the track. I figured I might as well get an aftermarket replacement so I got my mechanic to order a CTS Turbo intake for me.

Along with the intake I got him to order a catch can from CTS as well. With all the debate about whether they do any good on the forums I've never known, and really I still don't, whether they do you any good. Since I was swapping intakes I decided to ask my mechanic what he thought. He said he recommends one to anyone making more power than stock or putting the kind of stress on their engine that I do. With that I decided I'd go ahead and do it.

I'm waiting on a new set of wheel studs to come in from 034 Motorsports at the moment. I have their 2" studs on the car now and they're exactly long enough for the nuts to seat fully. I'm going to be replacing them with 3" studs so the nuts will have less chance of coming off if they somehow get loose. When they install them this time they're also going to use permanent green Loctite. The instructions say to use the blue stuff, which is what they did the first time, but that just doesn't hold up to the kind of brake temperatures you see at the track. Both times I went to the track after the stud conversion was done I had loose studs. This time they'll be in there for good.

I'm registered for a track day at a track called Toronto Motorsports Park (everyone calls it Cayuga, the name of the nearby town. Plus it's nowhere near Toronto anyway) on April 30th. It's 20 minutes from Hamilton and I've never driven there before. They have open lapping all week long there but until recently there hasn't been anyone running instructed track days there so I've stayed away. I've got exciting racing plans for the season but I'll get into that in a later post.

On a general build thread note, because of all the photography stuff I learned last season I started going through all the pictures of my car and editing them. So far I've gone through half my shots and uploaded them to Flickr so if you go back through the first five or six pages of this thread the pictures have been replaced with their post processed versions.

I'll have another update in a week or two hopefully. I just asked my mechanic to pick up some gold DEI tape for the intake and a hose spacer for the catch can hose. If I have those by the end of this week I'll start taping up the intake on the weekend.

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
I used red loctite on my studs and I've never had an issue. Blue is for temp use, not quite as strong. I haven't tracked my car yet so I don't know how it will do with heat temps but with the spirited driving I do on the weekends, it holds up just fine.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Purdy [emoji1360]

Thanks

I used red loctite on my studs and I've never had an issue. Blue is for temp use, not quite as strong. I haven't tracked my car yet so I don't know how it will do with heat temps but with the spirited driving I do on the weekends, it holds up just fine.

I was talking to one of my coworkers and he suggesting the red stuff too. He has a 1970 Charger and is currently building a 1968 Charger and he used red on everything. When I told him my mechanic said he can use the green one he laughed and said that stuff is like liquid weld.

About damn time you got back in here with an update! Tires look awesome man, I've been wanting to do that for a while now as well, just love the look. Your car is coming along nicely, good to see you're still sticking with it bro.

I had to focus on some other stuff over the winter but I also had time to think about the direction of my build. I talked to my mechanic a lot over the past couple months and it all ended with some really exciting plans for an engine build in 2019. I'm also taking the plunge into race car life by stripping the interior this year, the street just does nothing for me anymore - except piss me off - so there's no point in holding onto street car luxuries.

I stopped by my mechanic's shop on the way home yesterday and picked up the longer wheel studs I ordered. I have 2" studs on my car right now and with the nuts threaded on they're flush with the ends of the studs. That's a bit too close for comfort so I decided to go with the 3" ones and just have an extra inch sticking past the nuts. Hopefully it'll look kind of cool too.

Today was exciting. Last weekend I went to a small motorsports expo here and talked to someone at a booth about OMP seats. They had two seats on display, one with head halos and one without. When I asked about the halo seat he said they aren't road legal and the police would take my car away. I knew they aren't strictly road legal since they aren't DOT approved but the police part just sounded wrong so when I went home I posted in the local motorsports group on Facebook asking about the laws with seats. I've seen people at autocross and the track with those seats in cars that get driven to events so I figured they'd have some advice.

I got a response from the owner of a shop called NV Auto in Hamilton telling me about the Sparco Ergo, a seat with a removable head halo. He had one in his shop so I asked if he could keep it for me to test sit in this weekend. So this morning I drove down to Hamilton and gave it a shot. It was pretty much the perfect size for me so I went ahead and bought it from him.

The seat's basically brand new. It wasn't in the box because they had used it to help lay out a roll cage on a 2JZ BRZ drift car they're building. He said if I wanted one that was brand new and in the box he could get one but I said I was fine with this one. He showed me how to remove the halo and gave me a set of side mounts they had on a shelf. Since the shop specializes in Subaru's they didn't have the mounting hardware for a GTI so he had to order that stuff. I got him to order the seat base, the rails, and a lumbar support cushion. I should have all of it in a couple weeks.

The coolest thing about the seat is the head halo that I mentioned. The pieces have threaded rods sticking out of them that pass through the seat. A plate and some nuts screw into the other side to hold them in place. There are two more little plates with Sparco machined into them that go in place of the halo when it isn't installed. Flickr's being a piece of shit right now so I can't show you what that looks like but I'll post a picture tomorrow hopefully.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I got the last couple things I needed for my seat yesterday. I got a black lumbar cushion for some back support. My GTI is the only car I've personally driven that actually has lumbar support but it's spoiled me to the point where I can feel the lack of support without it. This one has Velcro on the back so it sticks to the seat.

I also picked up the seat base and rails. The guy I talked to at NV Auto said he prefers not to run rails because they let the seat wiggle a little bit but I'm going to run them for the season. I'll be taking the rear seats out at the end o the season so I'll get rid of them then. For now I'm going to figure out what position I like the seat in so when I solid mount it I won't have to move it back and forth over and over. I usually keep it relatively close to the wheel but sometimes I move it back on a long drive and then forget where I originally had it so I'm going to mark the position I like with tape or something.

I took Monday off so I can get my car ready for the season. I bought the RS6 rep wheels I used when I moved to the new house last year from my friend. He bent one on a pothole before he switched to his winter wheels so instead of having to get them fixed I just bought them from him as is. I'm going to use them to transport my car in the off season months and when/if I leave my car somewhere to get work done over the winter. I'm calling a flatbed to take it to my mechanic's shop tomorrow so I have to throw them on tonight. I'll post an update on how the day goes tomorrow.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
My car's finally back home and on the road. I spent the day at my mechanic's shop last Monday but had to leave it there until yesterday. They got most of the work done on Monday but the fitment of the seat required fabrication work to make it work. It was done on Friday but we had a minor snow storm in the morning so on the way to work I decided I was going to call a flatbed instead of driving it home. I stopped by the shop on the way home and decided I'd just pick it up on Saturday instead.

The day before I dropped the car off I went and bought this set of RS6 reps from a friend. I used these wheels when I moved my car to the new house last year but since then he hit a pothole that bent one of them. He was planned to get them refinished so he could sell them so I just offered him the difference between his preferred sell price and the refinishing cost. It was a win-win, he got his money with none of the time investment or haggling and I got a set of wheels to use for flatbedding and/or sending to shops to have work done in the winter. They're brutally heavy though, I haven't measured but if they aren't at least 75lbs I'll be shocked. I'll never use them to actually drive on though so I don't care, they're literally only for moving on and off flatbeds and around shops.

I had a decent list of stuff that had to be done:
- Replace the starter motor that almost left me stranded at the track last October
- Change the engine oil, just part of my standard pre-season prep
- Change the gearbox fluid, also standard pre-season prep and to check for metal shavings
- Change the brake fluid, standard pre-season prep and the fluid in the car had boiled last season
- Install the CTS Turbo intake I wrapped in gold DEI tape
- Install the CTS Turbo Catch Can
- Uninstall the 034 Motorsports 2" studs I had installed last season and replace them with a new set of 3" studs using green Loctite this time
- Install my Sparco race seat

As always my skid plate needs to be taken off so they can access the engine bay. When it was off I noticed it had done a little bit of skid plating. I'm pretty sure I know when this happened, I was driving down a country road just north of me and there was a bad dip in the road. I can't know if I would have hit the pan without the plate since there's space between them but I'm glad that I didn't have to find out.

The starter motor that was taken off looked pretty nasty. It's like it was pulled out of a shipwreck with the amount of crap all over it. They had to get it out before doing anything else because there are supposed to be two different part numbers and the only way to know which one you need is to find the number on the one in the car.

When they called their parts supplier though it still wasn't clear which one they needed for some reason so the delivery guy showed up with two motors and let them decide which one to use. We went with a rebuilt motor because it's literally half the price and has the same warranty as a brand new OEM one.

Once that was taken care of they moved onto the rest of the list. The studs were taken care of pretty easily. Before they put them in they checked one last time that I did actually want to use green Loctite. I've been told it's like liquid weld and my mechanic said that if anything goes wrong with the studs he's just going to replace the hub. He said the biggest concern is stripping the threads but I don't think that'll happen since I always thread the nuts on by hand and use a torque wrench. My mechanic also uses torque wrenches instead of air guns so the only people that actually touch my wheels are very unlikely to mess up the threads. I will need to make sure that tire and alignment shops I go to don't screw them up though.

I like to spend the day at the shop because I can see how they install parts and learn more about how things work. It's also interesting to see how some things that are supposedly bolt on aren't remotely so, more on that later. I think this is obvious by now but I also just love taking pictures and these two project cars with parts littered all over the floor presented the perfect opportunity for me. The 2002 is a Targa Newfoundland car that's been in the shop for months getting an engine build. The Mk3 is having the bay shaved right now and judging by the mess of wiring they were also doing the fusebox relocation. Having seen the effort people on the forums go to when doing this I had to ask about the cost of getting someone to do it and got a you-don't-want-to-know look. They don't know what the final bill will be yet so all they could say was it'll be thousands of dollars.

Shifting back to my car they put in some fresh Motul Gear 300. I'm always being asked by people what fluids I use but since I don't go to great lengths to use anything specific I usually forget. I've used Gear 300 since having the LSD installed so I figured I'd take a picture so I don't forget that again.

The other thing I get questioned on constantly is what brake pads I use. Since I hang out with a lot of autocross and track guys I'm surrounded by people that put a lot of thought into this. And here I am saying I just use the StopTech Street Performance pads that came with my big brake kit. I haven't had any issues with them so I just kept using them. They work great from dead cold to hauling myself down from 180+ km/h at Mosport lap after lap. I ordered a second set of pads last year so I don't get caught with my pants down in a pinch, StopTech stuff of this size isn't sitting on a shelf waiting for customers around here so I wanted to have it when I need it. I've had my brake kit for three full seasons now and I've only gone through half the friction material. That's 15 track days, 25 autocross events, and 35,000+ km of street driving and the only signs of wear are a couple minor cracks. I had them put the new pads in and put the old ones in the box so I could take a closer look at them, they're so good after all that use that I can put them back in once this new set is done.

The night before going to the shop I went to bed around 10 and mentally went through the list of stuff I needed to do to prepare. I had forgotten to wrap my intake so I spent about an hour and a half doing that in bed before going to sleep around 11:30. I've seen people only wrap the part of it above the headers but I did the whole thing because I think it just looks half assed otherwise. I cut little pieces to shape to surround the various parts that stick out of the pipe and then cut larger strips to wrap around the pipe, covering up most of those original pieces. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering I've never done this before.

Installing the seat was a bit of a hassle. The first attempt had my head touching the roof without my helmet on. This was the main reason I had to leave the car there all week but I'll get into that in my next post.

I had to do some cleaning in the garage when I got my car home yesterday so I haven't had a chance to vacuum and wash it yet but that's the plan for today. Then I'm going to take it for a drive in the countryside and get some pictures. The drive home was awesome though. I can actually hear the diverter valve and induction sound now, the tire letters look amazing, and the seat feels so damn supportive. It sounds, looks, and feels like more of a race car than it already did and I love it.

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
Your threads shouldn't strip. I usually start em by hand, hit em with an impact till they're snug then torque em. I feel like replacing the hub is a bit excessive though. I've never heard of green loctite but I've got red on my set up and they hold fine. With the red it is possible to take them off with a bit of muscle because I have to deal with that everyday at work. If you wanna spend the money on a new hub go for it but they should be possible to remove individually.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Your threads shouldn't strip. I usually start em by hand, hit em with an impact till they're snug then torque em. I feel like replacing the hub is a bit excessive though. I've never heard of green loctite but I've got red on my set up and they hold fine. With the red it is possible to take them off with a bit of muscle because I have to deal with that everyday at work. If you wanna spend the money on a new hub go for it but they should be possible to remove individually.

Breen is about 3x stronger than red. You really only use green when you never want to take something off. So his mechanic is saying when something happens he will have to replace the hub/bearing since the lugs will more than likely pull threads with them when removed (if he can get them out).

Excited to see your car out this year, wish we lived closer so we could run together. There's a few dedicated track car builds now, would be awesome if we could all get together but I know that won't happen due to locations :cry:

Edit: Where the hell are the pictures with the new tires on!?!

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI

I don't think I'll have to worry about messed up threads but it's like Das said, the green stuff is supposed to be so strong it's considered permanent. I could have tried the red stuff but I just want to not think about it again so I told them to go ahead with the green.

Breen is about 3x stronger than red. You really only use green when you never want to take something off. So his mechanic is saying when something happens he will have to replace the hub/bearing since the lugs will more than likely pull threads with them when removed (if he can get them out).

Excited to see your car out this year, wish we lived closer so we could run together. There's a few dedicated track car builds now, would be awesome if we could all get together but I know that won't happen due to locations :cry:

Edit: Where the hell are the pictures with the new tires on!?!

It'll happen one day man. I definitely want to make the trip down south for Gridlife and/or Global Time Attack once I have more experience running CSCS and Ontario Time Attack up here so hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up in the next few years.

Ask and you shall receive:

Since I got my car ready to get back on the road on Saturday I woke up on Sunday and cleaned it inside and out. Then I went for a drive and took some pictures. Couldn't be happier with the new mods. The intake makes race car sounds, the tire letters look amazing, and I feel more in tune with the car in the seat. I'm completely in love with the look now.

As for the story with the seat install. When they first put the seat in the car my head was touching the headliner even without my helmet on. One of the problems was that the side mounts I had tapered in near the bottom so they didn't leave enough space to mount the seat low enough. To fix that my mechanic cut the straight portions off and welded them to some L-shaped aluminum. That brought the seat down around an inch. To get some more space we ditched the seat rails, bringing it down another three quarters of an inch. Even with all that I felt like I was shoved in there too much but during a test fit I realized the seat was tilted forward too much. The front of the seat was in the lowest hole while the back one was in the third hole so I moved the front up two holes and it tilted the seat back enough to give me room and a comfortable driving position.

The last thing that had to be done was to modify the seat belt buckle. The stock buckle is on a bracket that mounts to the bottom of the stock seat. The side bolster is so tall on this seat that the buckle was shoved between the bolster and the center console so they straightened it out and mounted it on the side of the seat. That brought the buckle right up to the level of the side bolster.

The driving experience with the seat is awesome but it's seriously not meant to be road friendly at all. With my fixed position I'm six inches in front of the b-pillar so grabbing the belt is a bit of a struggle. To get around that I leave the belt hooked onto a bolster when I get out. Visibility is another thing, even with the head halo's removed the width of the seat completely blocks my view of the driver side rear window. The last thing is the bottom doesn't have much cushion so if I'm driving for any more than an hour I'll probably start getting a sore butt. I should be autocrossing this weekend though so I'll get to see what the proper driving experience is like then.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Dude, you have to at least get a Schroth quick fit harness in there. Driving in that seat with a standard seat belt is dangerous.

Car... looks... amazing... seriously man, I think you just went to the top of my favorite looking MKV's out thee. Glad it's all coming together! Actually feeling the difference of each collective mod and experiencing the outcome of a long haul build is epic. Keep up the great work and let's get some seat time before we meet on the track :biggrin: