GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperSkyline89's Timeline

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Dude, that's one hell of a parts list! I can say from personal experience that the sways and chassis stuff makes such a huge difference! Interested to hear your feedback on the rear spherical bearings, been eyeballing them for a while. I'm going to run the all poly rear end until we are out driving it or it needs to be refreshed. Glad you are back on the track b!

You might want to consider bringing your ride hight up just a pinch, I'm sure the camber arms will help but a these cars don't like to go low on the track. It really screws up the roll center, a out one inch down from stock seems to be the sweet spot.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
That's sick. Mosport is a really badass track.

I'm still in awe of the experience. It's such an incredible track, I'll be driving it a lot more from now on.

Dude, that's one hell of a parts list! I can say from personal experience that the sways and chassis stuff makes such a huge difference! Interested to hear your feedback on the rear spherical bearings, been eyeballing them for a while. I'm going to run the all poly rear end until we are out driving it or it needs to be refreshed. Glad you are back on the track b!

You might want to consider bringing your ride hight up just a pinch, I'm sure the camber arms will help but a these cars don't like to go low on the track. It really screws up the roll center, a out one inch down from stock seems to be the sweet spot.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how my car drives with the new parts. When I had my coilovers installed last year it felt like there wasn't any body roll at all but when I saw a picture someone took of my car mid-corner I realized the stock bars just couldn't handle it. Ideally I would have waited a couple weeks to save up first but I don't want to get this kind of tire rub again next weekend. It would have been nice to test it out at autocross too but I'll just have to ease into it slowly to get a feel for the new setup on track.

My rear is as high as it goes already. The front can go an inch higher than the rear for some reason but it's equal right now. Before my coilovers were sent for warranty I had the front a little lower to get some oversteer but I probably won't need that anymore with the monster rear bar. I really want to autocross it to see how tail-happy it gets.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I was supposed to pick up my car from my mechanic's shop on Thursday but they had to order a couple parts last minute so they had to keep it until Friday. When they took the stock bushings out of my rear trailing arms the new spherical bearings just dropped right in, they should be a tight fit. Turns out the holes in the arms were mangled so I had to get new ones. They also figured out why my oil pressure gauge stopped working two weeks ago, the signal wire melted. They put a new wire in and wrapped it in gold DEI tape. Since I have a skid plate that goes all the way to the subframe it's probably trapping heat and preventing it from getting sucked under the car. For the rest of the season I'm just going to leave the hood open after every track session to let the heat out but next season I'm going to have my hood vented when I get it repainted and welded.

Normally I like to drive my car for a day or two after having new parts installed before I race it but I couldn't do that this time. My car feels really stiff now. On the way to the track I pulled off the highway to get gas and as I was crossing the ruts in the roads while turning left from the off ramp the front end was bucking back and forth really badly. I was surprised it was that stiff on the medium setting. I'm doing time attack at the Mosport Driver Development Track in two weeks so I'm going to leave everything as is for that and then see how it feels on soft.

After the crazy tire rub I had last time out I couldn't be happier with how the camber arms and sway bars worked this time out. My tires fit perfectly front and back now and I didn't have tire contact once. I can say with certainty now that with 2 degrees of camber all around and upgraded sway bars you can fit 245/40-ZR18's with no issues or body modifications. As far as my plans for this season go I'm all done with chassis modifications. I have some power upgrades planned as well as some cosmetic stuff but I'm not spending any more money for probably another month.

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Now what are you doing with rear seats still?

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I'll get rid of them when I cage my car but until then the interior is staying the way it is. I'm not worried about weight in the back anyway, it's the weight up front that's the problem.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
It'll be several years before I actually mount it unfortunately, there's another member here that has them on his car already though, I think. The thread's called "stance to track build" something

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Just a few minor updates today. I'm home today because it's Canada Day so I used the opportunity to work on my car a little. I added two clicks of compression to my dampers all around to soften the ride a little because the latest upgrades made my car a lot stiffer. I need to do more driving to get a better feel for all the spherical bearings but so far I've noticed they make a creaking noise whenever I go in and out of my driveway. I didn't notice any noise on the way to and from the track last weekend but my car isn't exactly quiet so that's probably masking a lot of the noise.

I finally had a chance to do a small cosmetic mod today too. I've had a bunch of yellow 3M vinyl sitting around for months that I was going to wrap the "aluminum" interior trim with but because of the whole coilover warranty thing I just didn't get the chance. I wrapped all the pieces today though and it looks great.

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valandil

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a few minor updates today. I'm home today because it's Canada Day so I used the opportunity to work on my car a little. I added two clicks of compression to my dampers all around to soften the ride a little because the latest upgrades made my car a lot stiffer. I need to do more driving to get a better feel for all the spherical bearings but so far I've noticed they make a creaking noise whenever I go in and out of my driveway. I didn't notice any noise on the way to and from the track last weekend but my car isn't exactly quiet so that's probably masking a lot of the noise.

I finally had a chance to do a small cosmetic mod today too. I've had a bunch of yellow 3M vinyl sitting around for months that I was going to wrap the "aluminum" interior trim with but because of the whole coilover warranty thing I just didn't get the chance. I wrapped all the pieces today though and it looks great.

Maybe I missed it in one of your earlier posts but did you get the footwell lights to always stay on?

Or are those not footwell lights?

How did you do it? (would love to do that red glow in my car but I have read it doesn't stay constantly on)

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trim color [emoji1360]

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how it looks. Hoping to get to the steering wheel badge next

Maybe I missed it in one of your earlier posts but did you get the footwell lights to always stay on?

Or are those not footwell lights?

How did you do it? (would love to do that red glow in my car but I have read it doesn't stay constantly on)

They don't actually stay on. I got them to stay on for the pictures by keeping the doors unlocked, the interior lights only turn off when you lock the doors. I tried to find out the same thing a while back and there's no way to do it without custom wiring.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Last weekend I finally tried time attack and holy crap is it fun. It was with Ontario Time Attack at the Mosport Driver Development Track. On Saturday they ran the layout with the kink at Turn 13 which I've run at all the track days I did at that track. It was my first time running Hankook R-S3's properly because it rained the last time I was there so I went a lot faster than I've ever gone before. It rained a lot the night before so the track was pretty slick and even by the end of the weekend I never felt like I had as much grip as I remember from last year. Or maybe the crazy amount of grip at the Mosport GP track just spoiled me. Probably a bit of both.

My best time on Saturday was a 1:48.822 but I think I lost a couple seconds pushing too hard into corners. My car feels great on the track now with all the spherical bearings but it's become a horrible street car. It's stiff and noisy and it really makes me appreciate how quiet, comfy, and fuel efficient my Kia is. Seriously, if you're car isn't a track car, DO NOT even think of putting spherical bearings on it.

On Sunday they ran the layout without the kink. They called the result a straight but it wasn't even remotely straight. There's a blind crest into a slight left followed by a slight right. On the layout with the kink I'd go into the braking zone at the last turn going 130-135km/h but on this one I'd be doing 140 over the crest and do my best to maintain that speed all the way to the braking zone. I could probably throw another 10km/h on that with more experience but for now I can feel the car going light over the crest and through both turns. It took me all day to get comfortable enough to push through there but eventually I got to the point where I was right on the redline in 3rd and squealing my tires under braking into the last turn.

I was planning to add some power this season along with a downpipe but after last weekend I decided against it. With stock power and an LSD I'm able to exit every corner at this track at full throttle. With more power I'd go faster on the straights but it would be missing the point because that's not what's limiting me right now. Weight is my problem. A while ago I said I wanted to maintain a road friendly car for a few years but since getting my car back on the road I've really come to dislike driving it on the road and it has me thinking that there's no point in holding off. I'm not going to strip it to the bone but I'm thinking or doing small things one at a time. And instead of focusing on the overall weight of the car I'm going to focus on the weight distribution. So the first thing will be to move my battery to the hatch. I'm not going to switch to a lightweight battery because by sticking with a normal one I'll get twice the benefit, once by taking the weight out of the front, and again by adding it to the rear. After that I'll see what else I can eliminate from the engine bay or roof of the car. Air conditioning and the sunroof are the easy answers but that would be hard to swallow. I'd be miserable on the way home from the track and I love my sunroof. Although I might be willing to replace the sunroof with Lexan and ripping out all the mechanisms that operate it. The sound system is another obvious one but I want to be able to listen to podcasts on the way to and from the track, which I really only need one speaker and an AUX input to make happen so there's room for an interesting solution there too.

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I haven't posted in a while because I've been busy getting some photography in and I went on vacation last week. I haven't done anything to my car, aside from some body stuff near the end of the year, and some mud guards I've had sitting around all season, all mods for this season are done. Since doing time attack I've put a lot of thought into my plans and I decided to make a change. I was going to leave it street friendly for a few years but I seriously underestimated how much I'd hate driving on public roads. I'm at the point where public roads just piss me off so next season I'm going to get myself two bucket seats and over the winter I'm going to strip the interior. My plans for aero and body work remain unchanged.

I had a chance to autocross a few weeks ago and the way my car drives now was mind blowing. It responds to my inputs so quickly now and holds serious corner loads, I hit 1.1G in a parking lot on Hankook R-S3's that I'm pretty sure are heat cycled to death.

I got a whole bunch of pictures of my car since I last posted, none of which I took myself. These are from my weekend at the Mosport GP circuit

These are from a car club I joined recently after I stumbled into one of their meets while walking by playing Pokemon Go on my phone.

These are from autocross

And these are from a cruise with the same car club

Last edited: