GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fighting with P2177 (running lean)

tedted

OMGGG!!

I have the same exact code throwing. And it started right after a shop installed my k04.
Ive taken the car back to the shop multiple times and first they told me to replace the plastic pcv hose and that did nothing. Now im being told to replace the G247 sensor (which I will be doing in the next week or so). My ltft sits at around 22%. Said shop also said they did a smoke test and their were no leaks. Car runs fine after the CEL shows, but when i clear/reset everything the initial startup has the car idling horribly. I am hesitant on replacing the G247 after reading it hasnt helped the OP and my vcds still shows i get readings.

Finder

Ready to race!
Is it just possible carbon build up? Blocking injectors maybe?
I've thought about that and I've used injector cleaner on two consecutive fuel tank fill-ups, plus Seafoam and CRC cleaner through the intake. Nothing helped.
And I think if the injectors are blocked they will act up all the time (at all RPMs).
Based on my logs my issue only happens between 2000-2800 RPM and when I use push the throttle pedal normally (not WOT).

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
I've thought about that and I've used injector cleaner on two consecutive fuel tank fill-ups, plus Seafoam and CRC cleaner through the intake. Nothing helped.
And I think if the injectors are blocked they will act up all the time (at all RPMs).
Based on my logs my issue only happens between 2000-2800 RPM and when I use push the throttle pedal normally (not WOT).

Most of the time, a lean code is an air leak...I just watched a humble mechanic episode on it lol, but anyway, I'll tell you what I did (and some guys may yell at me, but I have no smoke machine) I took a piece of cardboard, lit it on fire, burned the end for a bit, stomped it out...let the car run, put the piece of smoking cardboard to the intake and it pulled the smoke in. You can also take a 3/8" (ID) hose, plug it over your intake manifold with the car off...get a cigar, and blow the smoke through the hose it to find leaks in other places. https://youtu.be/mM6j7E5vE7s

Finder

Ready to race!
Other things I did in the last 2 weeks:
-replaced the Autotech HPFP internals with new ones from IE
-replaced the tank fuel pump controller
-removed the fuel filter and checked for possible blockage, found no issues
-checked fuel line between fuel filter and engine fuel rail, found no issues

Still runs lean

larcic

Ready to race!
I guess injectors are your next thing to look at...and carbon cleaning since its the same job....I thought I had a tough time finding my lean condition..

Finder

Ready to race!
I ordered a new PRV for the fuel rail, just so I can cross it off the list valves/sensors/controllers on the fuel side.
There is also a valve that sits between HPFP and high pressure fuel rail which I can't seem to find separately so I will take it from an older pump I have and know it worked.
These are the last things I can replace before pulling the intake..

larcic

Ready to race!
did you go rs4 prv?

Finder

Ready to race!
No. My K04 tune is for stock PRV.

larcic

Ready to race!
from what I understand rs4 prv wont affect your tune. it will just hold higher pressure in the fuel rail. but please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure. tuning for it can get you a couple extra horses but it wont hurt to have it and not be tuned for it is what I've gotten from what I've read. it is a return valve

Finder

Ready to race!
Tuner advised me not to use the RS4 one.

Finder

Ready to race!

tedted

in regards to doing a smoke test for leaks, where are good points to connect to?
yesterday I randomly drained my catch can and pulled off one of the hoses that connects to the head to blow the water out faster and while i plugged the pcv on the head and blowing through the hose, I swore I could hear a faint hissing sound.