GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Motorsport - from GIAC to DM - the journey begins 2/27

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The "might as well do it while we are there" bug got me too.

Modding for me used to be getting power and performance out out of the car, then I would sell it before the build would start to decay and start over. This is the first time I have kept my modded project this long and now I am having to cope with wear issues. The trans is not failing so I can stop here and just enjoy but when you are a compulsive mod freak then you pretty much have to go forward. Of course this will mean built motor and bigger turbo if I beef up the trans..... logic right.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Modding for me used to be getting power and performance out out of the car, then I would sell it before the build would start to decay and start over. This is the first time I have kept my modded project this long and now I am having to cope with wear issues. The trans is not failing so I can stop here and just enjoy but when you are a compulsive mod freak then you pretty much have to go forward. Of course this will mean built motor and bigger turbo if I beef up the trans..... logic right.

Same boat as you I feel like I can't get rid of my car specially now haha

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Total cost including the software I just purchased will be about 4.5K. Car runs fine, I don't have to do it and the trans is probably not slipping except in very extreme conditions but if I am going to have them pull the trans to put an LSD in it would be the right time to upgrade the clutch pack. I have already sunk the money into the LSD and the software so might as well spend an extra 1800 for the upgraded clutch packs and capitalize on the effort. I won't ever sell the car and there is a good chance I am going to take it off the street in a year or so and just trailer to track for fun weekends.

I am currently trailer shopping! Glad to see another member as dedicated as me, there are only a few of us.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco

Last year on April I bought the SSP 500hp clutches kit and I faced lots of problems to install it due to many factors (the old basket model I had, slipping after installation, not smooth shifting, etc...).

There were Jerk & Shakiness in the 1st, 2nd and Reverse gears. It happened between 1000 to 2500 RPM and it was noticeable and you can't ignore it.
It looks like you are using a damaged disk and clutches in a manual transmission!
I communicated the support and I followed all what they mentioned, recommended and advised but the issues were always existed.

I pulled out the gearbox more than 7 or 8 times and kept trying to let it work without any success.
So, to end the story I removed the SSP clutches and installed another OEM basket and car is working fine now .. Thanks GOD!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Last year on April I bought the SSP 500hp clutches kit and I faced lots of problems to install it due to many factors (the old basket model I had, slipping after installation, not smooth shifting, etc...).

There were Jerk & Shakiness in the 1st, 2nd and Reverse gears. It happened between 1000 to 2500 RPM and it was noticeable and you can't ignore it.
It looks like you are using a damaged disk and clutches in a manual transmission!
I communicated the support and I followed all what they mentioned, recommended and advised but the issues were always existed.

I pulled out the gearbox more than 7 or 8 times and kept trying to let it work without any success.
So, to end the story I removed the SSP clutches and installed another OEM basket and car is working fine now .. Thanks GOD!

Thanks for sharing, good to know. I may just consult with the folks that I am going to have do the install to see what aftermarket clutch packs they have experience with (AUTuning) and go with what they know works.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Sounds like mostic maybe had a bad mech unit?

BTW, DM Emailed me! Actually quite a few times, commented on my build, offered solutions, and advice. Bronson apologized for lack of communication. Made my feel a lot better about my tuning choice.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Sounds like mostic maybe had a bad mech unit?

BTW, DM Emailed me! Actually quite a few times, commented on my build, offered solutions, and advice. Bronson apologized for lack of communication. Made my feel a lot better about my tuning choice.

My DM tune is awesome, no regrets only praise for Bronson.
My car rips. Once I feel I have my DSG things dialed .... back to the dyno.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
After installing Unitronic DSG Stg 3 software and letting adapt for a few days of varied driving, I do like the subtle changes from GIAC DSG to the Unitronics tune. Car actually seems to pull out of the hole quicker than before.

Still running logs and will need to go back to the dyno to verify if this was enough to fix the lost torque that appeared to indicate slipping during last couple of dyno runs.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
This appears to be the only recent thread chatting about DM K04 tune...

Question: Is it just me, or does the power kind of feel bogged down when accelerating in D mode?

It's a smooth transition, but it just feels like your waiting for it to start ramping up. Compared to APR's which kicked in hard and fast w. the lightest of throttle.

Driving in standard mode it is peppy as hell, but yeah, is automatic mode like that for you too?

In every other way this tune is so much more refined than my old APR... but automatic acceleration from a stop, is just kinda disappointing me.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
This appears to be the only recent thread chatting about DM K04 tune...

Question: Is it just me, or does the power kind of feel bogged down when accelerating in D mode?

It's a smooth transition, but it just feels like your waiting for it to start ramping up. Compared to APR's which kicked in hard and fast w. the lightest of throttle.

Driving in standard mode it is peppy as hell, but yeah, is automatic mode like that for you too?

In every other way this tune is so much more refined than my old APR... but automatic acceleration from a stop, is just kinda disappointing me.

If I put my foot down from a stop in my car there is no disappointment, it is tire shredding time.

The difference might be the throttle setting. DM had a linear throttle when I got mine. It made the car "feel" very slow becuase you now had to go much deeper into the throttle to get the same respnse I got from my GIAC tune. They switched it back for me and all was good. The car wasn't any slower, I was just not used to that type of a throttle.

Also are you running any upgraded aftermarket DSG software?

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
I went K04 a few weeks ago. Local shop owner stayed late..like 1230-1am late, to make sure I had my car back together. Bronson was there to receive my stock file and send back the K04+ file that night. Headed back today to see about getting an adjusted file for that R map I plan to install..

...if only Bronson could clone himself lol

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
If I put my foot down from a stop in my car there is no disappointment, it is tire shredding time.

The difference might be the throttle setting. DM had a linear throttle when I got mine. It made the car "feel" very slow becuase you now had to go much deeper into the throttle to get the same respnse I got from my GIAC tune. They switched it back for me and all was good. The car wasn't any slower, I was just not used to that type of a throttle.

Also are you running any upgraded aftermarket DSG software?

I realized after spending a full day behind the wheel (today), that this is exactly what it is... linear throttling. Thanks!

I got so used to feathering the pedal on the other tune, that now when I feather it does nothing. Have to lay into the throttle more to feel the kittens purr. I'll have to look up the perks of linear vs whatever the default is - I'm not a fan of it so far. Unless linear is the reason the car never experiences brief hesitation/stuttering/jerking anymore, when in stop-and-go driving situations. If that's the case - I am loving it! haha

No, not running the DSG software. Wish I could. No DM dealer anywhere near me - closest is California I think. :frown: I will get it though, if I ever find myself in the area with my car... or DM finds a way to do it via a programmer.