GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Ambient Footwell Lighting (cold cathode)

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
I did it to my gti. It looks sick :D

I stupidly broke the passenger cathode when installing it, so for now I only have the drive side >.< Another cathode is on the way to replace the broken one. Damn things are delicate.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
I would probably put this on a seperate switch so I can turn it on and off whenever I wanted. I really like to keep my options open. But really, I didnt think red would look good, but it really does, I like that, good job. :w00t:

fillup

Passed Driver's Ed
If I wanted to add an on/off switch to it how would I go about doing that. It would be fine if you kept it so they turn on when the lights turn on but how would I go about adding a switch to it.

Nice tut. If I install em ill try to take some pics for you to add!

Edit: Also I have a feeling this would greatly void the warranty. What parts would be void?

Last edited:

335 Trojan

Macro FTW.
If I wanted to add an on/off switch to it how would I go about doing that. It would be fine if you kept it so they turn on when the lights turn on but how would I go about adding a switch to it.

Nice tut. If I install em ill try to take some pics for you to add!

Edit: Also I have a feeling this would greatly void the warranty. What parts would be void?

All you would need to do is put a switch somewhere (maybe down by the ESP button?), and put it in line with the power coming out of the cigarette lighter...done deal.

As far as warranty....this is actually a removeable job, the only think you are doing is cutting a wire, which they wont notice when you turn the car back in as long as you splice it back nicely and heatshrink it for safety.

fillup

Passed Driver's Ed
As far as warranty....this is actually a removeable job, the only think you are doing is cutting a wire, which they wont notice when you turn the car back in as long as you splice it back nicely and heatshrink it for safety.

Hmm, sounds like you could be right. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

webdes03

Ready to race!
Just curious... what year is your GTI, or is that an aftermarket shift knob? I'm just wondering if the procedure for removing the surrounding plate is the same as it would be on mine...

It comes down to getting the courage to pull everything apart.

TEABAG

GTI Bunny hopper
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV CW 2.0T
what's up with you guys and submarines!!!!

Nice DIY though!!!! :tongue:

Attachments

• submarine.jpg
    submarine.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 15,011

fillup

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I just got finished installing them and had a bit of fun. Overall it wasnt too hard and only had a few problems. First one was I spliced the red/black wire instead of the brown one which was a quick fix. Another thing I did is I accidentally cut all the way through the gray wire but I managed to get it intact (the wire is so small and hard to splice with scissors :frown: )

Than as I was putting everything back together I accidentally leaned on the drivers side cathode tube and cracked it. So now I have to go through all the trouble of taking things off again :eyebulge:

Anyway ill get some pics when I go back in. Couldn't find the camera.

webdes03

Ready to race!
I ordered all of the parts to do this, but I think I need to wait until some of my friends get home from college for Christmas... so I have a garage to do it in... it's a little too cold now to be doing it in the driveway...

Where did you actually stick the cathodes? Mine haven't arrived yet, so I haven't had a chance to check for fit, but could someone post a pic from the floor lookup at the bottom of the dash?

fillup

Passed Driver's Ed
Ill try to get a pic for you tomorrow but I put em right underneath. You really dont have too much wire to work with so im sure when you get all the connections up you will see where they fit best.

Also I just used some scotch tape to tape em up temporarily. Eventually I have a feeling ill be putting some Velcro in or something.

jxmoth

OEM+ Whore
To the guys up top...don't be afraid to take apart the car. It's nothing more than a few screws and disconnecting some wires. All the screws are the same size so it doesn't matter if you can't remember what goes where.

The only thing I would be wary of is splicing the wires. If you're not sure you can do it, have someone with experience help you out. Better yet, practice on some extra wire if you have some laying around.