GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Ambient Footwell Lighting (cold cathode)

Passed Driver's Ed
has anyone tried using the led strips from oznium? When I had cathodes in my old car, they broke easily, all u had to do was kick it accidentally or throw down a heavy bookbag and SMASH!

the only thing about the led strip is that it seem that the lighting would not be as uniform. I am thinking about putting UV or Red colored led strip in footwells...not sure which one would look better...but shoes do look cool under UV haha. Reminds me of cosmic bowling

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
x2 I would recommend LEDs for this. Make your own, if you can use a soldering iron it should be easy and means you don't have 110V DC floating around in your cabin.

Passed Driver's Ed
i just did this using the flexible led strips from oznium. i got two pairs of red and two pairs of UV. yea i know its ricey, so I put a switch on the UV strips, whereas the reds are on all the time. why uv? i dunno, it just seems cool to have your shoe glow...reminds me of cosmic bowling lol

i used the led strips because cathodes seem too fragile. with the led strips, there is no converter box to hide, just two simple wires. they can be trimmed to size for perfect fit.

xpricecheckx

Passed Driver's Ed
just got around to puttin my blue cold cathodes in. looks good paired up with my blue led dome lights. ill snap some pics sometime soon.

xpricecheckx

Passed Driver's Ed
pics as promised however camera makes them look brighter than they really are

overall very pleased with the outcome however my add them to a separate switch because they are a little bight for all time use.

xpricecheckx

Passed Driver's Ed
ohh and to add a small tip to make these completely removable i used unstranded, solid wire to extend the short wires with the kit. This allowed me to not have to splice any actual wires, i just stripped of about 1/2 inch from each end and wedged it into the cig lighter connector. Just tight enough that it would stay but could be yanked out if need be.

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
pics as promised however camera makes them look brighter than they really are

overall very pleased with the outcome however my add them to a separate switch because they are a little bight for all time use.

Which ones are you using, the 4" or the 12'?

xpricecheckx

Passed Driver's Ed

David

Flyn high
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI 6MT
So i did this yesterday morning, everything was fine and i was happy with the results. this morning i jumped in my car and my front right Hid is out and my rear right break light is out also. any possibility that the cathode lights or me doing something wrong in the diy have cause this?

Eric1285

Ready to race!
Nice work, but I can't recommend joining wires by twisting and using electrical tape. I've done a fair bit of electrical work, and the best way to do it is to solder the wires together and apply heatshrink over it. Once you're good at it, it really doesn't take much time at all.

Haggisman14

Cram V
Car(s)
CW 2 Door
I've got some red LEDs from autoillumination in my front footwells, and just recently put 2 in the rear underneath the seats illuminating the floor. Looks really nice, and subtle. I'm goign to try and take some pictures tonight.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I really like the idea of the red footwell lighting. I am going to look into this when I get home tonight.