GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Ambient Footwell Lighting (cold cathode)

Silver89

Passed Driver's Ed
I did this on my old clio and it looked pretty good, might change them over to this car!

Does anyone know where to buy a switch that would work the same as an esp switch for these lights?

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Sub'd. Just ordered two 9.5" strips from Oznium and plan on doing this as soon as they get here. :happyanim:

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Just did this today. Was pretty simple although I dropped the coin try once trying to pull it out and it put a big gash in the paint over the shifter. :mad0259:

I'll find some touch-up paint to match it hopefully to fix the gash but otherwise the install went smooth as cake. I'll try to have some pics on here later for those who think it might be "too bright". Even at it's full setting it's not enough to even really notice when driving. If you use the dimmer switch to go down to about 60-70% it'd be perfect for even those worried about it being too bright.

Just did this today. Was pretty simple although I dropped the coin try once trying to pull it out and it put a big gash in the paint over the shifter. :mad0259:

I'll find some touch-up paint to match it hopefully to fix the gash but otherwise the install went smooth as cake. I'll try to have some pics on here later for those who think it might be "too bright". Even at it's full setting it's not enough to even really notice when driving. If you use the dimmer switch to go down to about 60-70% it'd be perfect for even those worried about it being too bright.

best "touch up" ive found was to just sand the whole thing down (or not) and cover it w/plastidip. it really doesnt look THAT much different from OEM

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
best "touch up" ive found was to just sand the whole thing down (or not) and cover it w/plastidip. it really doesnt look THAT much different from OEM

Yeah I'm debating taking it off in another week or two and fixing it or just going for the OSIR CF Shift Plate that goes directly over it....decisions decisions.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI

Just did exactly what you said following a DIY in this thread. Worked to perfection. :thumbsup:

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI

RcNdi

Did this today, easy install, thanks to the OP for the idea and some pointers in the right direction.

I used some cheap well ok maybe average priced neon tubes from advanced auto (close and convenient)

I just popped the shifter boot up and pulled it up over my shifter and put it in 6th to give me room.

Then lifted up the coin tray and ran wires and spliced using the gate splicers.

And Again thanks to the the OP for figuring out the wiring for me!

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Another pic for those who are skeptical. This is with the dial for the gauges at it's brightest setting.

Attachments

• footwell glow2.jpg
    footwell glow2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 524

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Had my lights go out recently, but went back in and had to re-do my work from the first time. Didn't get the electrical tape on there good enough on the ground wires.

Free bump for those that might be interested in doing this. :thumbsup:

Wizbaa

I put in LED strips almost 3 years ago now, and they've been running without a hiccup. I only had a problem with how bright they were, but its so easy to trim the strip back. Now I can finally turn the rest of my consol up from the lowest setting at night!

This looks great and I've gotten a ton of compliments, thanks for the guide. Can we get this added to the DIY sticky?