GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jacking and supporting my mkv gti

Lee.k

Ready to race!
I'm planning to replace my dp in a few weeks. I never had to Jack up n support my gti yet. Looking for some solid tech advice. I will need to purchase some jack stands and want to know. What tonnage would be best, how high I will need to go up, and finally if the factory jack will raise it high enuff. Most 2-3 tons I've seen go up to approx. 16" high. One craftsman went to 21". All suggestions will be not only appreciated but will probably save my life. Lol lmk guys

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You can use the factory jack points on the rocker panels or better yet buy the ECS jacking pads. Then you can buy as good a floor jack as you can afford. Two ton jack stands and jack are plenty since the car only weighs about 3300 pounds max.

If you just use the rocker panel jack points I suggest using a floor jack with a small saddle so you have room for the jack and a stand. The area isn't long enough for a full size jack AND a stand.

Rollineuro

Go Kart Champion
You can use the factory jack points on the rocker panels or better yet buy the ECS jacking pads. Then you can buy as good a floor jack as you can afford. Two ton jack stands and jack are plenty since the car only weighs about 3300 pounds max.

If you just use the rocker panel jack points I suggest using a floor jack with a small saddle so you have room for the jack and a stand. The area isn't long enough for a full size jack AND a stand.
This. and. fuck. the. factory. jack.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Here ya go:

I snapped some pics while lifting the car awhile back.

I lift the car from the front jack point. I have found I can safely position my floor jack so that it contacts the vertical metal jack plate and not the plastic parts (see third pic for detail). Lifting from the front jack point, front and back wheels come off the ground. The plate at the jack point is reinforced and so far it has not bent on me (I've lifted it more times than I care to recall too) At this camera angle, it looks like the plastic side skirt is contacting the jack -- it is not.

This permits placing the rear jack stand on the marked rear jack point,

I place the front jack stand under the alloy cap securing a suspension mounting point. This pic is shot while the load is still on the jack, jack stand not loaded.

This seems pretty solid. I guess you could jack from the suspension point and put the stands at the front jack points too, haven't tried that yet.

I actually try and sort of push the car off the jack stands before I crawl under it, and the front stands can "settle". The three places I have supported the car, so far nothing has bent.

Floor jack pic taken under full weight of car, before placing the jack stands.

Front jack stand loaded

rear jack stand loaded

on jack stands

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Now that I think about it, I don't see how jack stands would work with the ECS pads, only because I don't know if a jack stand fits under them. Perhaps they work OK but you still need to jck up the car fist, or use the pads to jack up the car and use the rocker panel points for the jack stands. Since you want to install a downpipe I'm not sure where you would want the jack stands on the passenger side.

I'm not real comfortable jacking on alloy parts or suspension points on modern cars. Everything is so much lighter than the "old" days. Back then you could literally jack on anything except the steering parts. Even oil pans were OK if you put a piece of wood across it first. Unibody cars suck. Bring back the days when you actually had a frame.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
thumbsdown on jack pads

... or better yet buy the ECS jacking pads. Then you can buy as good a floor jack as you can afford. ...

You may want to think twice about the ECS Jack Pad Kit.
While they may make some sense when lifting with a four point hoist,
when using a floor jack on a single point, I would think twice.
Here is one of the references that caused me to bypass floor jack lifting in that area,
the posts by chris86vw are pretty damning ...

excerpted from lifting the car vwvortex June 2007
... I have seen way too many cars with the floors crushed in the area of where the jack pads go.. way too many cars come in with the floors ripped out there by bad tow truck drivers.

I am a certified VW/audi tech, own my own shop, and work for another company...I would never install, recommend, or use those pads
and more ...
chris86vw said:
TDI-4-RD said:
Ok, thanks for the clarification. But damn, now I'm worried! What I don't understand is why VW/Audi would manufacture the lift pads in the first place, if that point is not reinforced. Are what we're calling "lift pads" for some other purpose?

I have no idea.. I don't understand them.. but also they are not sold by dealers in the Us last I checked.. I have not seen them in ETKA listed as being installed in that location.

If you look at ANY documentation though, VW/Audi never lists that as a proper way or point for jacking the car up.
I can concur, nowhere in the Bentley shop manual or owner's manual will you find those points recommended.
Seems they are a remnant of the manufacturing process where the assembly line cradle is attached.

Those are not the only posts I have seen with that tone on jack pads, just the ones I could find with a quick search.

I'm not real comfortable jacking on alloy parts or suspension points on modern cars. Everything is so much lighter than the "old" days. Back then you could literally jack on anything except the steering parts. ...
No doubt you must be cautious, but there are few points that will hold up to the load but there are some that will.
The alloy casing locating those front suspension bushings is very robust and it is
attached to the subframe cradle that takes the brunt of the suspension forces.
Been using it regularly for close to six years.

silversleeper

Retired OG
Correct stand pics are right as seen above, love my ECS/oem lift pads, but when I used the oem jack once and tore up a side skirt.

Get yourself a low pro jack!

BAMF

Ready to race!
Regarding the 16" vs. 21" jack stands, I've got the 21s and they're too tall for my jack. Check what the total lift is on your jack before buying stands. :thumbup:

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
When putting the GTI on jack stands, is it OK to put it on two at the front or back, or do I need four at once? Will only be working on one wheel at a time right now.

A1an

Hellafunctional
Don't need to use all four at once. Harbor Freight 3 ton stands are cheap and as well made as most of the other ones. Craftsman also usually has good deals I floor jack and stand combos.

dddrew.

blah.
I know it's already been said but I just want to emphasize it even more. Do not touch the OEM jack that comes with the car. It's deadly... My side skirt has a large gouge in it from the jack failing on me. I need to invest in a nice jack but they're so damn expensive.

Lee.k

Ready to race!
I agree. I like aluminum race Jack's cuz there so light and compact. But expensive as hell. Every time I c a jack I like I read bad reviews. All the craftsman have so so to bad reviews and harbor freight has same type of reviews. I love the one on ecs but that's frigging 250.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
I agree. I like aluminum race Jack's cuz there so light and compact. But expensive as hell. Every time I c a jack I like I read bad reviews. All the craftsman have so so to bad reviews and harbor freight has same type of reviews. I love the one on ecs but that's frigging 250.

Here's my review of the Harbor Freight 2.5 ton floor jack:

It lifts the car very well (including my Roadmaster), and lowers it smoothly and easily. It works exactly as a floor jack should.

tylerandreas

Banned
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
I wouldn't worry about a craftsman jack failing to much if you have other things for support, don't ever trust just a jack when under a car though. Always, ALWAYS, have some stands for support.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
LOL. I use a cheap 2-ton Big Red jack and jackstands that I paid $20 for but it's only occasionally, and I'm rarely under the car. The jack is cheap and it leaks a little now but it's good enough to get a jackstand into position.