GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wrapping intake in heat wrap tape

KUGTI

Ready to race!
Do you have a stock intake?

I have seen it done multiple times on aftermarket intake tubing.

Im not sure about the effects over time, but aftermarket intakes are not plastic, so there shouldn't be a problem.

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Do you have a stock intake?

I have seen it done multiple times on aftermarket intake tubing.

Im not sure about the effects over time, but aftermarket intakes are not plastic, so there shouldn't be a problem.

wtf are you talking about?

1. I would love for someone to find a way to wrap the stock airbox. Why would you even ask if he had a stock intake... I would assume he does not.

2. Several of the aftermarket intakes are plastic.

lots of info in here OP: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58169&highlight=wrap+goods

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
d'oh my bad - I still forget about the TSI. Sorry KUGTI...

That thread is old and long, but there's some good info in there about the intake and exhaust.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
I have mine wrapped first in header wrap, then in gold tape:

Got it at summitracing.com

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
lol, still gets warm on the surface, but not so effin hot that I cant hold my hand on it like it was without the heatshield and wrapping. I will wrap the DP next (soon, very soon) and that should get rid of some of the heat as well. I figure every little bit helps! Plus, I have nothing else to spend my money on! :biggrin:

KUGTI

Ready to race!
d'oh my bad - I still forget about the TSI. Sorry KUGTI...

That thread is old and long, but there's some good info in there about the intake and exhaust.

It's cool I just thought he was talking about the small about of length between the maf and the turbo and not the entire intake length.

Briggs253

IMHO wrapping the intake plumbing does nothing. The air moves so quickly through the intake plumbing that it's not going to sit in the pipe long enough to get heated.

In addition, the turbo heats the intake air charge considerably through the process of compressing the air.

vwinva

Ready to race!
IMHO wrapping the intake plumbing does nothing. The air moves so quickly through the intake plumbing that it's not going to sit in the pipe long enough to get heated.

In addition, the turbo heats the intake air charge considerably through the process of compressing the air.

If that's the case then why would replacing the maf to turbo piping with Carbonio's stage 2, carbon fiber pipe, show lower IAT's over the stock plastic piping? This was shown by a vortex member's vagcom log's while on a dyno.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon

I can respect that. And for people who are going stage 1 or 2 without trying to max out the little K03, I totally agree.

BUT, I am trying to max out the K03. So, every single degree I can get that intake air down to (intake meaning pre turbo), the more effecient the turbo is (as you can see from TMSRacings pre-turbo water meth MAF readings in another thread). Every little bit helps in my case. And for the record, my Post IC pipe and TB pipe are covered as well. And like I have said, I will be wrapping my downpipe all the way back to the coupler to the cat back (with header wrap, not gold). This will keep the air warm and the velocity fast. Its not for everyone, and I dont recommend it for everyone.

Keepin it cool, FTW.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Uh...what 4 injectors :wink:

Like I said above...I am maxing out my stock turbo...Direct Port Water Meth Injection. I am waiting to do more testing, but things are looking really good. Stupid bent rim stopped my testing for the past week and a half almost :(.